LegacyGT.com

Polishing for the first time

Use Klasse and like it:

http://www.stinkyteapot.com/klasse4.jpg

But after three winters of ungaraged living in NE, I noticed some of the typical very fine scratches in the paint with the sun just right.

So I want to give polishing a try for the first time.

Polisher is needed, got the cheapo Sears one (Craftsman 10 in. Buffer/Polisher) as a gift a couple of years ago. The pads that came with it obviously have to go, but from what I've read, it is okay as far as use goes, especially since I'll only use it once every couple of years. That sound about right?

With that said, any recommendations for pad/polisher that is fairly forgiving for a noob? Don't think I need to go too aggressive... The scratches are the typical very fine, only can see them if the sun is just right variety.

Thanks!

If you are really serious about repairing the damage then you are going to need something other than the buffer you currently have. That one will help you spread wax around, but it will not do much for swirl removal or anything other than waxing. The entry level polisher that is worth purchasing for anybody who is seriously interested in making any type of difference in their paint is the Porter Cable 7424. You can pick one up for less than a hundred bucks on ebay. I saw a used one sell yesterday for $60. Mine is 7 years old and has hundreds of hours of use and it still runs like new. I had a workshop at my house a couple weeks ago and I compared my PC to a brand new one fresh out of the box. They both sound the same and run the same. The only difference is that my speed setting wheel is getting a little sticky. That right there is the reason the PC is such a great tool. It is going to last you for as long as you are able to use it. Spending any amount of money on a buffer with plastic gears is just a waste. It won't last and is very limited on what it can do. The PC 7424 is a very beginner friendly tool and very easy to use.

Will it cost some bucks to get the polisher, pads, and polishes? Sure it might, but it is an investment in the appearance and value of your vehicle, so why not spend it? Look at this as investing in the curb appeal of your home in the event that you may want to sell it one day. The PC is the right tool for the job. Don't ask me why nobody has come up with anything to compete, but there just isn't anything out there that is less expensive and as effective. You could pay more money if you want, I guess... The PC 7424 is as economical as you can get for something that will perfect your paint.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Don't ask me why nobody has come up with anything to compete, but there just isn't anything out there that is less expensive and as effective. You could pay more money if you want, I guess...

I find the lack of choice appealing. And good luck Beanboy, your car deserves it.

If that is the case then you are probably better off hiring out the polishing job when it is needed. Personally I would rather have the job done right by a professional than done half assed by myself just to save a buck. That's just me though...

Still, the fact remains that your goals won't be accomplished with the tools you presently have. If you want to remove the swirls on your paint then you are either going to need to get a better machine or hire it out.

OCDETAILS BLOG

^^^ Agreed. There is much fulfillment to be gained from sitting back drinking a beer and admiring your work. But if you are not oc like some of us and don't want to maintain it on a weekly basis, it will take several details to recover your costs in supplies. If you just want a once over, get someone else to do it. With the wrong supplies and tools you will do more harm than good and end up seeking professional help anyhow.

For an exterior polish I charge around $90 bucks. That is fairly consistent in the industry. You might pay anywhere between $90 and $120 for just the exterior, but that is better than $300 in polisher, pads, and products. It will still get done right and you won't have to shell out quite as much.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I have the PC .. I got it for chrismas, can I use the pad it came with? Where do I get pads for this thing???? I haven't used it yet .... heh.

You live in Arizona and you still haven't used your PC?!

You suck! :lol:

I have the PC .. I got it for chrismas, can I use the pad it came with? Where do I get pads for this thing???? I haven't used it yet .... heh.

I like the edge 2000 system. check detailcity.com or autogeek.net. The pads are dual sided, and you don't have to worry about velcro or anything like that. I use the green pad for the heavier swirls, then the blue pad for getting out the light swirls/haze, then use the white pad for the wax/sealant.

http://detailcity.com/edge-2000-foam-pads-dual-action-polishers.html

Archived