LegacyGT.com

Pain at the pump

johnAWD

Ah quit your complaining .. gas hasn't even hit the high it did last year yet :) for me at least .. ok .. I lied just looked at my receipt and its at 3.99 last year it hit 3.79 for my high doh!

Last summer, there was a station in Brooklyn charging $4.50 for 93 until the local news stations did stories on them.
________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

I had just returned home from Dallas, and filled the rental car (at the aiport) for $3.11. Premium at that particular pump was 3.30something.

It's a good thing I work from home and don't really drive the car that much.

Just filled up during lunch at $3.42 which is up $.05 from yesterday. When will gas-company profits stop increasing?

Boy you must have been on fumes...........

Just filled up this morning 13.5gal $40.91

John still had 2.451 gallons of gas left. I think 15.5gal is about the most I've filled up. I think our "miles left" indicator is a bit optimistic to make sure our dumb asses don't run outta gas.

I no longer let my fuel go close or below the 1/4 mark .. after 3 injectors going bad .. I am not going to let low fuel be the culprit .. on a side note .. I have put in like 15.19 something gallons into my car before :)

I put in over 15.9 once..... And yes i think the pump was ripping me off :mad:

I put 15ish in quite often, the needle will actually go below the red line a little bit ;)

I paid $53 the other day. Wanted to choke an oil exec too.....

yea ive gone over 15 a few times... sometimes i think the pumps are messed up... i.e. my suburban holds 27gallons when i put 28+ in it something is wrong.....i bitched to the cashier and they were like we dont controll it...but well tell whoever... blah blah blah.

Anyone else feel that shortage of premium lately? seems half time i go to get gas i gotta drive around as half the places in the springs are all out yea i know could just toss in 85 and use a booster or something... Im pretty particular myself in the gas i use im from the Ecoast so im used to having the choice of 93 and even 95 octane(YES!! it does exist at the pumps!!!)....big difference from the crap 91 here....

Kinda sticking to Shell 91 Vpower or whatever its called of late as ive been getting pretty good mileage no pings ect.... but i think when i filled up last weekend was about $49.ooish for 14.??gallons.

**EDIT** mayby ive been smoking crack... but i swear on occasion not everywhere id notice some "SuperPremium" at like 7elven that was 95..... been a couple years since ive really lived there but... i swear...but my minds failed me before... anyone verify? I know a couple 76 gas stations that did for a fact sell 95 as well as 100 but i swear was some normal ones that had 95 as well... do any of the 76s out here sell 100? are there even any 76s out here?

I never pay attention to anything the car tries to compute - mpg, miles left, etc. I do the math for mpg. The fuel gauge said I still had about 1/16 above E.

Yeah, I've done the math and find that our car's mpg estimation is about 1-2 mpg optimistic. I still think miles left, and mpg are decent approximations and give us an idea of where we're at. We do know that our tank holds 16.9 gals though.

I try to fill by 1/4 tank, but it seems like the needle does a nose dive around that level. Wish it wouldn't stay at full so long.

CoSprings, I've never lived anywhere where we had more than 91. In Denver Shell VPower is typically about 8 cents more than where I go. Is there really that big of a difference? I asked a gas guy in Columbus, OH once when it first came out and he agreed with my presumption that it was just a gimmick. Seems like drivers on here believe n it though. What think you all?

I do get better mileage with Shell 91. It's usually about 1.5 - 2.0 mpg more as calculated at the pump. I got almost 28 mpg on my last tank of Shell. Personally I think that their additives are increasing the effective octane of the 91, so the ECU will then advance the timing and run leaner. Just my theory. Anyway, when I filled up on Saturday the Shell 91 was something like $0.23 more than the Safeway gas. But the Safeway was out of 91 so I went ahead and got another tank of Shell at over $50. You gotta pay to play so I'm not going to complain. I'm all for it if it get more people to stop driving the SUV.

I think I'm going need to pick up one of those new Mini Cooper S as a commuter. They get 36 MPG on the highway with that little turbo 1.6.

Factor in your purchase price, depreciation (not much though in case of a mini), insurance cost, wear and tear, maintenance... and it will make more financial sense to just drive the LGT, even though you pay more for gas.

It costs around $1,909 to drive 12k miles per year at an average price of $3.50 per gallon if you get 22mpg... it costs $1,235 if your consumption is computed at 34mpg, all else constant. Under $700 savings per year for fuel is not enough for me to spend a lot more on a 2nd car. :rolleyes:

What is funny, even of you figure in a 55mpg consumption, all else constant, your annual gas savings will be just under $1,200.

To reap benefits of a more efficient 2nd car, you need to drive well over 30k miles per year ($2,600 gas savings, 22mpg vs. 55mpg @30k miles/yr). ;)

However, if you are looking for a fun toy, and need an excuse to get it, it is a different story.

To reap benefits of a more efficient 2nd car, you need to drive well over 30k miles per year ($2,600 gas savings, 22mpg vs. 55mpg @30k miles/yr). ;)

However, if you are looking for a fun toy, and need an excuse to get it, it is a different story.

Actually the Mini would be the third car... :lol:

I suppose my '94 Z32 TT that gets 18 MPG and is only driven 1000 mile a year doesn't make a very good second car.

Archived