LegacyGT.com

SPT intake, yes or no???

Since there is no AP out yet for the 08's, I was looking into the SPT intake kit. Yes I know it is loud at high rpms. The one spec b dino chart showed very high numbers on it and the only mod on the car was the intake kit. I am looking at the SPT one, due to warranty issues, compaired to the aem or k&n. Besides gaining a noise, will this cause the car to run lean or rich? will it give more HP? I am fairly sure subaru claims more hp out of it.

Then why does suby offer it? and why did the spec B dino so high with just th e intake kit????

What dyno? Did they show the baseline (w/o the intake)?

What dyno? Did they show the baseline (w/o the intake)?

can you show one of opposite effect?

subaru offers it with warranty. IF it were to blow the engine, why would they sell it?

last i check SUBARU spent millions in r&d...tuners and consumer don't spend s**t except bs from the mouth.

i wish everyone would quit knocking products when they have never owned it and can't back up a negative claim.

there is a dude iirc with an outback that shaved a couple of a tenths off.

can you show one of opposite effect?

subaru offers it with warranty. IF it were to blow the engine, why would they sell it?

last i check SUBARU spent millions in r&d...tuners and consumer don't spend s**t except bs from the mouth.

i wish everyone would quit knocking products when they have never owned it and can't back up a negative claim.

there is a dude iirc with an outback that shaved a couple of a tenths off.

There are people that have had or still have the intake on this board. Some like it some do not. A lot of the people that do own the spt intake actually have their car tuned (thus actually taking advantage of it).

I was just asking to see a dyno. He said he saw one. I would like to see the results with the baseline included (no mods)

read this http://www.cobbforums.com/forums/images/TestingoftheSPTIntakeSystemfortheLegacyGTv1.03.pdf

Cobb spends a lot of money on R and D which is why their products are so expensive (and top quality).

I guarantee you that there are more than a few aftermarket companies that spend more money on R and D than subaru does on their SPT Pack. I would hope most of those millions subaru spends would be R and D on their actual cars :)

and there are other posts of people claiming a raise in power.

the spt power pack claimed an increase for an 07 right? when cobb can crack the engine code, then i'll listen.

btw...did you know that my m.y. 07 has a smaller air cleaner than the 06? ask me how i know...i bought the 06 thinking it would fit the 07. NOPE. the 06 is much much longer than the 07's.

kinda weird huh? 07's are supposedly coming with more power, a tuner which counter claims another's power claim for an 07 that cobb hasn't cracked the codes yet and you guys are taking this crap as gospel?

yeah. subaru spent millions and no one else has. i'm just not sold on heresay.

and there are other posts of people claiming a raise in power.

the spt power pack claimed an increase for an 07 right? when cobb can crack the engine code, then i'll listen.

btw...did you know that my m.y. 07 has a smaller air cleaner than the 06? ask me how i know...i bought the 06 thinking it would fit the 07. NOPE. the 06 is much much longer than the 07's.

kinda weird huh? 07's are supposedly coming with more power, a tuner which counter claims another's power claim for an 07 that cobb hasn't cracked the codes yet and you guys are taking this crap as gospel?

yeah. subaru spent millions and no one else has. i'm just not sold on heresay.

OK did you read the article. He has actual data for the SPT intake. I do not see any other data anywhere else.

If the 07's do make more power it is either from the lack of a cat in the uppipe and/or stronger tune from the factory. Once you start modding it will not matter it is the same damn platform.

We are talking about the spt intake making power not whether the 07 has more hp.....Yes it is possible for it to make power with this intake if you are tuned for it. If you want to spend 160 on 3 maybe 4 whp be my guest.

Again read the article...and then show me where subaru spent millions on the spt intake..

This is all I could find. I tried to find the original post. Look at the dyno chart. He states at that point his only mod was the spt intake. I know that cobb doesn't suggest the intake with the access port, because it isnt tuned for it. Seems like the car in stock form will adapt to the intake kit

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57056&highlight=dyno

read this http://www.cobbforums.com/forums/images/TestingoftheSPTIntakeSystemfortheLegacyGTv1.03.pdf

Cobb spends a lot of money on R and D which is why their products are so expensive (and top quality).

:eek:

I was thinking about the SPT intake as well until I read this article from Cobb. Cobb spends a lot of time and money on research and they state there is little or no value in such an intake. I think I read somewhere they aren't getting true value because of a lack of heatshield, but still the airflow is the important thing and supposedly this pipe causes turbulence (in a bad way).

I think the K&N panel might be a better investment unless you are looking at quite a bit more in mods. At a minimum, if you are getting the SPT, make sure you get the heat shield.

I've been using my SPT Intake for a bit over a year now. It doesn't add any power when it is warm, but feels a lot stronger in temps below 45 degrees.

The biggest negative is the noise, be forewarned there will be a lot of noise coming from this thing at all times - highway, stop and go... well anytime you get 2500 rpm or higher. The noises aren't just turbo noises either - yes your turbo will sound off loud and clear (awesome), but you'll hear it every single time she is sucking in air.

I hope that helps.

/

thank you godwhoismike and cwmiller.

that dude did have a point. if it did in fact take 20hp he really would be at 250hp to the wheels stock.

as i have stated...maybe it works on the 07's becase it seems we do have smaller air filters. maybe there is more to this.

thank you godwhoismike and cwmiller.

that dude did have a point. if it did in fact take 20hp he really would be at 250hp to the wheels stock.

as i have stated...maybe it works on the 07's becase it seems we do have smaller air filters. maybe there is more to this.

It could have something to do with the air filter. All I am saying is put that 160 or so towards a megan downpipe(200). That will net you a lot more gain :) Did you guys at least take a look at that cobb research:)

OK did you read the article. He has actual data for the SPT intake. I do not see any other data anywhere else.

If the 07's do make more power it is either from the lack of a cat in the uppipe and/or stronger tune from the factory. Once you start modding it will not matter it is the same damn platform.

We are talking about the spt intake making power not whether the 07 has more hp.....Yes it is possible for it to make power with this intake if you are tuned for it. If you want to spend 160 on 3 maybe 4 whp be my guest.

Again read the article...and then show me where subaru spent millions on the spt intake..

once again. when YOU do the testing then talk to me. quit talking heresay. I see the heresay really bad here on this forum. the power claims are printed as being for the 07. not for any other model. you are throwing out the window that subaru does infact offer this intake for the 05 and 06's right? you are also ignoring that the crazy sti ecu had compensated for the exhaust setup. cobb has yet to come out with an 07 crack. untill then no one knows s**t. i wish people would quit cross referencing and making up s**t along with heresay and taking other people words as the end of all gospel.

i never said they spent millions on spt intake fab. no one here has enginered an engine. no one here makes cars. no one here has done the r&d that subaru has done is what i said. silencers on an intake? does it add or subtract power? no. but it silences does it not? surely that took more than an idea than that of a chunck of empty plasitc container on someones break time while eating an apple. that's just 1 aspect of the car. of any car.

show 1 car that has blown up from just an intake mod. 05-08. just 1 will do.

sorry man. but i will take a car companies word over some tuners word.

once again. when YOU do the testing then talk to me. quit talking heresay. I see the heresay really bad here on this forum. the power claims are printed as being for the 07. not for any other model. you are throwing out the window that subaru does infact offer this intake for the 05 and 06's right? you are also ignoring that the crazy sti ecu had compensated for the exhaust setup. cobb has yet to come out with an 07 crack. untill then no one knows s**t. i wish people would quit cross referencing and making up s**t along with heresay and taking other people words as the end of all gospel.

i never said they spent millions on spt intake fab. no one here has enginered an engine. no one here makes cars. no one here has done the r&d that subaru has done is what i said. silencers on an intake? does it add or subtract power? no. but it silences does it not? surely that took more than an idea than that of a chunck of empty plasitc container on someones break time while eating an apple. that's just 1 aspect of the car. of any car.

show 1 car that has blown up from just an intake mod. 05-08. just 1 will do.

I did not say it would blow up. I am just saying an aftermarket downpipe is going to net you a lot more than a SPT intake. If you want an intake there are much better designs out there than the SPT intake. Like I said I do not care if its an 05 or 07 the gains will be minimal. Done

I did not say it would blow up. I am just saying an aftermarket downpipe is going to net you a lot more than a SPT intake. If you want an intake there are much better designs out there than the SPT intake. Like I said I do not care if its an 05 or 07 the gains will be minimal. Done

it seems that it was tested without the heatshield. referring to cobbs test.

surely that would skew numbers a bit.

i don't want anything yet. the 5eat isn't a 360 modena competitor, but it's plenty quick/fast for me out the box.

i am just trying to keep it level on this whole thing. don't want to swing either way and am keeping it completely unbiased. i haven't seen enough proof that a tune is needed and that the spt intake is crap. that's all i am saying man.

it seems that it was tested without the heatshield. referring to cobbs test.

surely that would skew numbers a bit.

i don't want anything yet. the 5eat isn't a 360 modena competitor, but it's plenty quick/fast for me out the box.

i am just trying to keep it level on this whole thing. don't want to swing either way and am keeping it completely unbiased. i haven't seen enough proof that a tune is needed and that the spt intake is crap. that's all i am saying man.

alright cool. End of discussion then. Happy modding :) When do you plan on getting the intake and cbe?

alright cool. End of discussion then. Happy modding :) When do you plan on getting the intake and cbe?

buhaha...probably never.

i am more sold on the pdx stages was it? 1.5t. for an 07 all i would need is a dp, intercooler, and tune. already have the catless up. but that post is old. would REALLY like to see what cobb can do to the 07 ecu before i decide.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13536&highlight=pdx+1.5t

as fas as regular mods go...xenon maybe in fall 07. suspension/tires in spring 08.

:lol: :lol: /\ Just because Subaru("a car company") is selling something doesn't make it perfect,work right or be totaly acceptable.Your naivete to marketing/sales is amusing to say the least.

Do a search on the original SPT exhaust if you'd like a prime example of there quality control.

Or maybe we can discuss the virtues of a front upper strut bar,Subaru sells them, so according to your logic they must do wonders fr your car because of all the R&D Subaru put into the product .:rolleyes:

You want noise ,under hood bling,and Subarus extensive R&D buy the intake.

You want heresay drop in a Perrin,AVO,K&N,Blitz etc panel filter;)

Archived