LegacyGT.com

Short Throw Shifter...

i would hope so because that's what i'm getting done friday

I'm a little puzzled here. If you have the factory STS, why are you going to an aftermarket STS. I know there is some adjustability in the cobb, and some others, but why the upgrade?

Reason I'm asking is I've got the FLTS (Factory Long Throw Shifter, LOL) and was considering getting the SPT STS upgrade. Mainly cause I can use Subaru bucks for payment. If there is a real reason not to do this, I will pony up real cash and get the Kartboy shifter and bushing set.

While we are on the subject. Has anyone done the TiC bushing upgrade here:

http://turninconcepts10.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?products_id=89&osCsid=9515df57d9ad30f94da46642a6083646

I've never had my shifter/linkage apart (or studied a diagrahm), so bear with me here, I'm new with mods. Is this a different replacement part than the kartboy/cobb style... Look different, so I assume these fit different locations...

http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=2460 , http://www.allwheelengineering.com/basket/catalog.cgi?query_net_id=kartboy&query_class=KB-003

Also, if you have, or in my case get the SPT STS, then do you need to upgrade the bushings, or will these even fit the SPT version???

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

OK - i had the factory STI STS - and it sucked. Clunky - notchy - hard to get into reverse.

Took it out and put a kartboy in - just direct swap - no bushings, or anything else - and it's amazing!

Just such positive engagement - without being notchy. Nice short, crisp throws - without being a too short. I mean, it's just perfect. Just get it - if ou don't like it - sell it for 80% return.

Oh - by the way - my reverse difficulites are lessened...

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

I had the factory sts in my wrx and had the cobb sts also. I had to modify the st linkage to make the cobb one work. This was before cobb made a version to fit onto the sti sts. I loved it very notchy I always knew when I was in gear but like hog said it was a bit rough getting into reverse.I think my throw was about 3/4 of an inch between gears loved it.

Does anyone have the Perrin adjustable STS?? I had that on my 05 and it was absolutely amazing. No bushing replacement, just a billet aluminum piece that bolts onto the stock arm after you rotate it 180 degrees. Shortens the throw a lot, makes it feel much more natural, and never misses a gear. For 79 bucks, it was well worth it. Now it belongs to John_galt. I think he likes it too.

Does anyone have the Perrin adjustable STS?? I had that on my 05 and it was absolutely amazing. No bushing replacement, just a billet aluminum piece that bolts onto the stock arm after you rotate it 180 degrees. Shortens the throw a lot, makes it feel much more natural, and never misses a gear. For 79 bucks, it was well worth it. Now it belongs to John_galt. I think he likes it too.

I've had the Perrin in my 05 for a couple years now any I love it. It's easy to intall and it's easily adjustable. I've NEVER missed a shift or ground a gear and reverse works smoothly.

I've had it set to several different lengths, but have yet to bend up the diagonal metal bracket to go super short.

Let's kick this pig!

• 1 year later...

What is NVH?

I just installed the Cobb short throw bushings.

I installed the shifter years ago but finally got around to doing the bushings under the car!

Can someone explain to me what this does?

I had someone shift the car after install while I laid under the car watching and the shift action doesn't even move the section of the linkage that receives the new bushings.

What does it do for shifting?

Bushings may give a more positive feel, but will increase NVH.

I did just the kartboy STS and was happy there. It's a huge improvement from stock.

What is NVH?

I just installed the Cobb short throw bushings.

I installed the shifter years ago but finally got around to doing the bushings under the car!

Can someone explain to me what this does?

I had someone shift the car after install while I laid under the car watching and the shift action doesn't even move the section of the linkage that receives the new bushings.

What does it do for shifting?

NVH = Noise, Vibration and Harshness

The rear stay bushing (which is the non moving part) and the front shifter bushings support the arm that serves as the bottom pivot point for the shifter.

The shifter linkage needs to stay in position relative to the transmission to prevent abnormal forces from being applied to the linkage during accel/turn/braking. If the linkage was solidly connected to the transmission and body you would get a lot of NVH and would wear /damage the transmission.

With soft bushings you reduce the NVH but make gear shifts sloppier because the transmission and gear shift linkage aren't tied together well. With stiffer bushings you trade off sloppiness for a bit of added NVH.

MANG.thumb.jpg.d0587fad14289925def07f44e3ec8291.jpg

• 1 year later...
Bringing this thread back from the dead. I jut got a new '09 5 speed special edition and really hate the stock throws. I will be getting the TiC Super Shifter Set very soon if no one disagrees.

Archived