LegacyGT.com

What do you Eat? Seriously... :)

gfxdave99

I suck at cooking (I have no basic skills other than boiling spaghetti and using sauce in a can) but I am a sandwich maniac.

I truly think I could live off of sandwich's all my life. Good bread, good deli meats like roast beef and roasted chicken, fresh veggies and all the right sauces and I'm in heaven.

Don't be surprised if I ever get tired of consumer electronics, I'll be buying a Quizno's franchise and really have my dream job.

I may end up 300 lbs though...

Last night's dinner for my wife and I:

Tilapia fillets stuffed with spinach, ham and parmesan cheese rolled in tarragon bread crumbs. Pan roasted potatoes and a spring mix salad with toasted pine nuts. Took me about 40 minutes to make start to finish.

I am fortunate in that my mom is a bomb-ass cook and she taught me a lot while growing up. I love to eat, so I learned to cook. You don't need a cook book or recipes to make good food. Just pick things you know you like already and experiment. I'd never made what I had for dinner last night. I just looked at what I had in the fridge and winged it. With a bit of experience you can end up imagining what the end product will taste like with the combo of ingredients you have.

Well, cooking for one, or even two, is a real pain in the ass!

I have a culinary degree from arguably the best culinary school in the country, and I still go out to eat almost every night...

Get a couple of cook books on Amazon...search "cooking for 1" and tons will pop up.

And I'm with Wales...get a grill. This one is the one I have at home...good for one steak, or a dozen bugers. Portable, or you can get a cart to mount it one. Pretty sweet, and very cheap!

Goin' to Carolina in my mind...and in my car on the 16th!

dumb question: is pork a red or white meat? i always associate red meat with beef.

depends on the part of the pig...loin is white. Shoulders, etc. mostly red meat.

Where's Hogger's when you need him???

Goin' to Carolina in my mind...and in my car on the 16th!

Legend and lore in my family is that my mom didn't know how to boil water when she and my dad got married. My dad's family has owned a restaurant in Paris, France for the last 40+ years. He taught my mom to cook and has never been in the kitchen again! :lol: I actually like to cook, but it's always nice when I come home and the wifey has dinner ready for me. She's ain't the best yet, but if she sticks to her well rehersed dishes it turns out pretty good. I'm smart enough to eat whatever the hell in put in front of me, because if I bitch and moan I know she ain't going to make the effort again.

i'm asian:

i make a cup of rice, and one 'side dish', anything tasty: fish, beef+sauces, chicken, pork, what have you, and then a vegetable side. i eat the rice+side for the next two days. done, easy.

then again, i grew up eating rice almost every single day of my life.. and i still love it

Nachos are one of my dishes:

\ Tostitos corn chips

\ Reduced fat Cheddar cheese, shredded (part-skim reduced fat mozzarella can also be used for a different effect, you can also mix in Jack)

\ Shredded lettuce

\ Chopped onions

\ Chopped olives

\ Diced tomatoes, with seeds removed

\ Salsa

\ Crushed red pepper (the sort you put on pizza)

\ Precooked chopped chicken breast

Layer the chips, chicken, lettuce, onions, olives, and tomatoes upon the chips before putting on the cheese. Sprinkle liberally with crushed red pepper before adding another layer of chips, meat, vegetables and cheese. Place in a pre-heated toaster oven at 375 degrees and bake until the cheese melts, usually around 15 minutes. Serve with reduced fat sour cream and salsa.

The reduced fat nonsense is because it was for a nutrition assignment. You can add or omit as you will. These will fill you up and take about ten minutes to make, fifteen to bake.

I like lentils, probably since I'm Indian and thus I grew up eating them. They're a good source of protein, B-vitamins low in carbohydrates, and pretty easy to make (easier still if you have a pressure cooker). They're also cheap and readily available in the international aisle of your grocery store. There are a lot of good recipes online, although the ones that call for bouillon are pretty crappy as they're not authentic Indian. But if that's what you like, go for it! The key is to experiment.

If you haven't done much cooking, eggs are a great place to start. They're very versatile and rather forgiving. Just remember - low to medium heat is your friend. You can ruin a lot of pans with high heat.

I'm smart enough to eat whatever the hell in put in front of me, because if I bitch and moan I know she ain't going to make the effort again.

Probably the best marriage advice I've seen on this forum.

Step 1: Go to grocery store.

Step 2: Find whiskey.

Step 3: Pay for whiskey.

Step 4: Go home.

Step 5: Unscrew cap on whiskey bottle.

Step 6: Insert bottle opening to mouth and tip up.

Step 7: Swallow.

Step 8: Repeat step 7 as needed.

• 8 months later...

Archived