LegacyGT.com

What do you Eat? Seriously... :)

gfxdave99

So here is where I'm coming from, I've grown up living off a lot of fast food and semi-fast food. My mom (bless her) she is a horrible a cook so growing up I never many decent home cooked meals. Now there's thousands upon thousands of recipe books out there for cooking for single people yada yada yada..

But realistically for those of you who cook your own dinner on a regular basis, what do you do? I mean most frozen veggies for example serve 3+ people etc..

I have been cutting the low-end fast food as much as I can as a start but I need some ideas of some simple stuff to start with so I can get off the going out every night for food cycle...

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

im not very good with an oven, but grilling is what i do best when it comes to food prep. grilled steak with peas and mashet spuds. grilled chick with yellow or brown rice. hamburgers, hotdogs, and grilled fish. all easy plus there is nothing like cooking over an open fire.

im not very good with an oven, but grilling is what i do best when it comes to food prep. grilled steak with peas and mashet spuds. grilled chick with yellow or brown rice. hamburgers, hotdogs, and grilled fish. all easy plus there is nothing like cooking over an open fire.

Yeah I have had good luck with my George Foreman when I use it. And I really like doing stuff on the grille outside unfortunately Naperville wont let you have charcoal if you have a condo but I have had some good eats using some mesquite chips wrapped in foil..

Hmm maybe thats what i'll do.. I'm going out to buy a camcorder maybe i'll stop by lowes and pick up a nice mini grille for my patio :)

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

I don't eat fast food, but I nuke frozen food a couple times a week at least. i I wouldn't eat most of what's in the freezer section, but there is some reasonably healthy stuff out there if you look around.

& yogurt, apples, bananas, and the occasional PB&J sandwich

& cereal for breakfast (not the sugary stuff) (well not much :) )

& premade salad-type stuff from a local healthfood store.

The latter is kind of expensive, but it's pretty healthy.

Rice-a-roni -- Dude, it is like $1 a box.

Zin's cheap-skate version. Big bag of rice from Costco and Minor's Chicken or Beef Stock. Rice-a-roni taste, sort of, for like half the price.

Lived off the stuff in college. Except when I got high, then it was toast with peanut butter and raspberry jam and a big glass of milk. The PB had to be melted onto the toast in the microwave tho...

Now that I'm a big boy, I eat steaks, salmon fillets, roast duck, baby-back ribs, risotto, chicken under a brick, ...

Life is short, eat well.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

I lived off ham and cheese sammiches and Jacks Natural Rising Crust Pizza in college (Sober). Drunk was a whole other story.

My advice.....find a chick who can cook. :D

+1

My wife doesn't eat meat but can cook a mean fish! Most of my meals at home are fish, big salads, and brown rice.

I eat a lot of sushi too, but living in Vancouver makes that easy. I have had bad sushi before and, like a snob, can't imagine how sushi is in the rest of N America.

Sushi will make you live to 100. Bad sushi will make you want to off yourself right there...

Boneless skinless chicken breast ftw. You can grill it, bake it, fry it....you can cut it up and use it for fajitas, chicken tacos, in pasta, on a salad. The possibilities are endless.

Sushi will make you live to 100. Bad sushi will make you want to off yourself right there...

MMMM Sushi, is it lunch time yet???

With so much food out there to choose from, fast food has really never appealed to me. With summertime coming, I can't wait for the fresh fruit to ripen up! I love spicey food my self, so Thai and Indian food really apeals to me, but I also love Italian, Greek, French, German... ok, I just love food, most of it anyway definately not eggplant. Just grab a cookbook and start expermenting with it. Some ofit you will through out and some you will make twice a week! Keep it changing, between grilled, fried, cooked, sauted and baked. Remember variety is good!

I know that it isn't always practical, but go out and eat at an expensive restaurant to experience different foods prepared in very different ways. Also go to different Ethnic restaurants, exposure to the different spices and ways of preparing the food may give you ideas of what you like or don't like.

Also something that I have been wanting to do is a couple of specialty cooking classes just for fun to learn more about how to prepare and put different foods together.

Remember food is a personal taste; some of it may be liked imediately, some may be hated just as fast. Others, you may learn/grow to like. I didn't care much for sushi the first couple of times I had it. But now, I could eat it 3 or 4 times a week if I could afford it. ;)

Usually have a salad with red peppers at lunch.

Dinner usually have something involving boneless, skinless, chicken. Also, various dishes including pasta. Casseroles, meat loaf, chili are also thrown into the mix to have some variety. Love having rice as a side dish. Some pretty easy and tastey meals can be made incorporating cambells soup, particularly cream of chicken/mushroom. Now, I'm hungry.

I eat a lot of sushi too, but living in Vancouver makes that easy. I have had bad sushi before and, like a snob, can't imagine how sushi is in the rest of N America.

The Va-Ja-Ja in college was enough sushi for me. I'd say I have a 50/50 chance of making it to 100. :lol:

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Usually have a salad with red peppers at lunch.

Dinner usually have something involving boneless, skinless, chicken. Also, various dishes including pasta. Casseroles, meat loaf, chili are also thrown into the mix to have some variety. Love having rice as a side dish. Some pretty easy and tastey meals can be made incorporating cambells soup, particularly cream of chicken/mushroom. Now, I'm hungry.

i do a similar thing. one night i'll have a salad with chicken, the next night maybe hamburger steaks (big patties, no buns) with rice a roni, and green beans. its "almost" home cooking. just made stroganoff the other day using some cambells soups...mmmm (and 2-days worth of leftovers. that's the kicker)

- my favorite meal is: grilled lamb chops, white rice w/ black beans. I do this once a week. :)

- As for bagged veggies - cut a small enough hole where you could knot the bag up and put the bag into a zip-lock back (to keep freezer burn out).

- Pasta w/ sauce. Prepare a homemade sauce on a sunday, freeze the left over sauce, and use that one more time for another pasta meal.

- chicken cutlets. With left over chicken cutlets - there are other things you can do with them - such as chicken cutlet parmigiana.

- steak (you should have red meat once a week, and should be limited to that) along with a veggy and a potatoes.

- For a treat - stuffed salmon one night along with a veggy. You could pick up stuffed salmon from the fresh seafood section of your local supermarket

Archived