LegacyGT.com

window frameing- your take?

My '95 e36 had that. was always cool to close the door and hear the windows seal automatically.

Also had one-touch up and down windows all around. was disapointing to find the lgt has only autodown ..... and only on one window.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
oh and as far as the 170 MPH window seal break i do not think thats accurate. it can happen well below 170 with the right wind as Scotty stated.

I can't stand it as it happens to me almost weekly, and I'm only driving about 80mph. Any suggestions on how to fix the problem? It makes it impossible to drive at a nice speed in windy conditions.

Girlfriend had an 02 Cavalier, and the damn top of the frame window came to a nice inward point at about shoulder length, so if you got in or out of the car too quick it'd give you a nice jab, and it hurt like a biatch too.

Frameless windows ftw.

I like the frameless windows. Window frames seem to add weight and space requirements to the door and the chassis, for little significant gain. Adding structural strength to the chassis, including the door frames in the body, seems like a better idea for structural integrity.

Anti-theft security doesn't seem like much of an issue, when the alternative is to smash the glass anyway. If they want in, they'll get in.

BMW, Porsche, and others seem to agree. I do wish my Subaru had the window down/window up sealing feature, like my dad's Mustang even has.

And stricter rain rails in the roof, so that rain water doesn't sheet off the sunroof, over the roof, and straight on to my seat. Window trim doesn't seem like the answer. Sharper creases in the roof's sheet metal seem like a better design, which has no real relationship to whether the window glass has a frame around it or not.

And frameless windows look good, as a side benefit. Although I need mine re-tinted, as they have a clear strip around the edges, and some damage to the tint film.

Another vote for frameless. I've never had any problem with wind noise, nor did I with my 90 Legacy either, which I put over 250,000 miles on. Windows rolled up and sealed as well on the day I got rid of it as they did on the day I got it.

I like the frameless windows. Window frames seem to add weight and space requirements to the door and the chassis, for little significant gain. Adding structural strength to the chassis, including the door frames in the body, seems like a better idea for structural integrity.

Anti-theft security doesn't seem like much of an issue, when the alternative is to smash the glass anyway. If they want in, they'll get in.

BMW, Porsche, and others seem to agree. I do wish my Subaru had the window down/window up sealing feature, like my dad's Mustang even has.

And stricter rain rails in the roof, so that rain water doesn't sheet off the sunroof, over the roof, and straight on to my seat. Window trim doesn't seem like the answer. Sharper creases in the roof's sheet metal seem like a better design, which has no real relationship to whether the window glass has a frame around it or not.

And frameless windows look good, as a side benefit. Although I need mine re-tinted, as they have a clear strip around the edges, and some damage to the tint film.

+1 couldn't have said it better myself

• 5 months later...
It's easier to rescue people from a crumpled car with frameless windows... Easy to get the door off in a pinch. Literally.

So I was told by the Subaru sales guy.

I do this for a living,it dosnt make any difference with the high pressure cutters/spreaders we use,subaru sales guy talking crap......

Apparently Subaru is ditching frameless windows.

Tribeca first, now new Impreza, also upcoming Forester is rumeroed to have framed windows.

Sad :(

I upgraded from an Elantra (framed), to my current Subie (unframed). When getting out of the cramped garage in the Hyundai, I'd have to duck around the frame. With the Subie, I can lean forward over the door when getting in/out - it's fantastic!

I love frameless! My old Camaro Z28 had frameless as well.

I just hate it when my passengers close their door by pushing on the window instead of the door. My old car (Z28) developed some play in the windows after years of this...

I dont know about you guys, but I close the door with one finger touching only the black rubber at the base of the window. no finger prints.

i use the same technique, my girlfriend on the other hand leaves handprints all over the edge of the glass...

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p61/sebberry/forum%20pics/disclaimer2.jpg

thank you for the VERY HELPFUL diagram.

frameless rule! because they are frameless and, thusly, lighter - you can close them with one finger on the black strip above the door (check mark in diagram).

i borrowed my old roomates ford something-or-other once and opened the door to get in - with the window already down. used to frameless doors, i proceeded to IMPALE my breast plate on the corner of the door... had a mark for a week.

never had a problem with wind, noise, anything. to tell the truth, i don't understand why ANY car door has full frames.

and yeah, looks cool too. :p

I strongly wish there was a way to make a small window decal out of this where passengers could see it and abide by it. :mad: Both my Legacy and my Lexus ES have frameless windows and I'd put this on BOTH of them.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p61/sebberry/forum%20pics/disclaimer2.jpg

i borrowed my old roomates ford something-or-other once and opened the door to get in - with the window already down. used to frameless doors, i proceeded to IMPALE my breast plate on the corner of the door... had a mark for a week.

We were test driving a Mazda CX-7 for fun and I guess I was so used to the frameless windows that I didnt pay attention to the door enough. I was used to having my hand on the black plastic strip on the door and just opening it a little to get in the car. I did that on the CX-7 and I ended up cutting open my eyelid and eyebrow with the very pointy top corner, man that gave me a headache for a week lol.

Amy

04 FXT vf39 5mt

I strongly wish there was a way to make a small window decal out of this where passengers could see it and abide by it. :mad: Both my Legacy and my Lexus ES have frameless windows and I'd put this on BOTH of them.

+1...I have to carry a bottle of QD with me to get rid of the fingerprints my friends leave.....and when I tell them to grab the door by the rubber, they look at me like I got 4 heads :eek::spin::rolleyes:

Archived