LegacyGT.com

Not making full boost ..

I am currently running a stage 2 protune, for the last couple of months things have been great, but last week when I was driving around I couldn't get the car to go above 9 lbs of boost (according to my boost gauge). It didn't matter what gear I was in. I reset the ECU via the AP and things were fine. Well today it happened again. Now the only thing I can think of, is that I have the Perrin BOV (recurc version). So I took that off tonight (put the stocker back on) and reset the ECU again. Does anyone have any ideas? I can't remember who on here had similar issues with not making full boost and his logs looked fine ... I think he was going to take off his BOV to see if that was the issue ... was it resolved? Does anyone have the link to that post!? :) I search couldn't find it :) Thanks! sorry bout the rambling. heh.

I can't remember who on here had similar issues with not making full boost and his logs looked fine ... I think he was going to take off his BOV to see if that was the issue ... was it resolved? Does anyone have the link to that post!? :) I search couldn't find it :) Thanks! sorry bout the rambling. heh.

It was me and here's my thread: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58943&highlight=analyzing

There was nothing sticking with my GFB BOV. Since I last reflashed nothing's gone wrong. I have refilled the tank twice but I'm not going to say it was definitely bad gas. It's still up in the air for me but as of right now the car is perfectly fine.

Go take some logs of the car and post them up. Maybe even post them up in my thread so we have a more centralized place for this stuff?

Go to http://www.enginuity.org/, register and download their program and log with that.

Also check all your hoses as RC0032 suggested.

Good luck.

I dont get the bad gas thing...if it was bad gas you would pull timing but the boost control system is not connected to the timing system.

If "bad gas" was as common as people seem to think - no cars would run :lol:

I'm not really leaning that direction either. I'm just mentioning it in case someone else starts thinking along those lines and I'm trying to give as much information as possible, that's all.

Damnit, so no resolution, I will need to borrow someone's laptop so I can log my car ... btw, my car threw a check engine light this morning ... the AP is not reading any of the codes .. so in about an hour I will stop at my buddies shop and have the code read. It could be the gas cap for all I know :) I'll keep everyone posted.

If the ECU can't get rid of knock by pulling boost, it will start to pull timing.

I dont get the bad gas thing...if it was bad gas you would pull timing but the boost control system is not connected to the timing system.

The audi/vw ECUs I'm familiar with will switch the car into 'limp mode' if some parameter (airflow, MAP reading, A/F, etc) is out of bounds for some predetermined length of time.

This would always throw a CE light. Maybe?

Damnit, so no resolution, I will need to borrow someone's laptop so I can log my car ... btw, my car threw a check engine light this morning ... the AP is not reading any of the codes .. so in about an hour I will stop at my buddies shop and have the code read. It could be the gas cap for all I know :) I'll keep everyone posted.

Ok .. I don't think the code was related to my boost issue, since I was making full boost with the code. But anyway, it was P2009, TGV short ... its the front sensor on the passenger side ... we unplugged it and plugged it back in .. so if it comes back on, they will replace it for me.

The guys at the shop think my car my be misfiring ... you can here a skip when you listen to the exhaust .. so I am thinking of upgrading my fuel pump finally and the injectors. I don't plan on going with a bigger turbo (well not right now) will 650cc injectors work fine with my stage 2 tune, or should I go with the Deatschwerks 740's? I think I will go get the AVO fuel pump through rallitek and do a core exchange.

Thoughts?

Ok .. since I don't have access to a laptop, if I take the car back to the place I got my custom tune, will they be able to put it on the dyno and diagnose it there?

Take a step back and take a deep breath. You are all over the place.

If the guys at the shop that originally tuned your car think they can hear detonation thorough the exhaust then you need to get your money back, never go there again and find another shop - preferably one that knows what they are doing.

The original shop ... isn't the place that heard the misfire ... now .. I have my dyno from the original place and the A/F is perfect across the board ... I will get some logs done ASAP and post them for review. I have had 3 injectors already go bad here in AZ .. wondering if #4 is on its way out ... the shop that normally does my work (not the place that did the tune) mentioned that I should get rid of the crap legacy injectors and get some better ones, he has to replace a couple on legacies here in AZ already.

OK, that sounds better. It is possible that one of your injectors is going bad. When it finally goes it will throw a CEL and you will have no doubt that something is very wrong.

There should be no reason to change the map if it was running properly. Changing the map won't make it run better n ow - you need to find out what the problem really is.

I will ... and when I say 3 injectors going bad ... 2 went bad completely stock :) One went bad after I had all my parts put on my car and I went to stage 2 ... the injector crapped out the next day .. heh ... I have had the custom protune stage 2 map on it for a couple of months now ... so the boost issue, just started happening ... an injector issue would make sense ... ECU pulling back something .. I should hopefully be able to do some logging on Sunday.

Thanks guys ... logs to come soon!

Archived