LegacyGT.com

Do you warm up the engine everyday?

Actually why do we need to warm up the engine when it is cold? And does warm up = the RPM needle fall till 1k RPM? ?? How much difference does it make if you don't warm up the engine properly before you start your trip? (sorry for this stupid question... but I really have no idea why I need to do such thing every morning...)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
when cold some parts of the engine are not the exact size but when they are nice and warm they are a perfect fit, plus cold makes the oil thicker and harder to move so the engine is less lubed so you dont want to redline it cold let it warm for a few minutes its bad for the car not to. btw the rpms stay above 1k unyil you tap the gas or put it in gear.

I dont drive anywhere regardless how late I am running until the guage is past the first few little notches on the temp guage. This take roughly about 2 - 4 mins depending on the temp outside.

With the M3, the handbook and BMW state "Do NOT Warm UP" The M has a cold start program that it runs and also an engine temp guide on the tacho. The lights will progressively go out as the engine warms up. Fantastic idea........

Adam.

1026911818_M3PureSex!.jpg.dbcaf711b4afde73d85f077e19eb028a.jpg

[quote name='ih8vtec13']cold makes the oil thicker and harder to move so the engine is less lubed .[/QUOTE] One of the benefits of synthetic oil. Viscosity does not change that much from cold to running temps. No doubt in my mind that when I do finally get my LGT it will run on a synthetic after break-in is done.

I start the car.. then do all the little things, set heat / cool, turn on the radio, the seat, etc... Then I drive... but keep it under 3k. It only takes a few min of driving to get that temp up when i change to synth it will be a moot point....

Well, I don't know about the US tune/2.5T, but I can feel it when the engine/oil is cold. I use 10w-50 that is not terribly heavy IMHO, but once the motor starts getting things going it is much more responsive. I give it a bit of time after cold start to get the oil moving around a bit, then drive short shifting at 2k without a whole lot of throttle (unless I have to) until things start waking up. After that, it is off to the races :)

I've been told not to let it just sit but do go drive the car right away at low rpms without WOT runs just to slowly lt it warm up as you drive it.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

That's a hotly debated subject up here in cold eastern Canada. The expert's advice is to not let it idle for more then 30-60 secs, just enough time to make sure the oil gets a chance to circulate through the engine. You should then drive easy until the temp gets into the normal range. In Extreme cold temperatures (-20C or less), you should let it idle 2-3 minutes. They say idling for long periods of time is actually bad for the engine as corrosive gases can accumulate in the oil, and the very rich mixture can clog cat converters. The rich mixture also means it consumes a lot more gas then people think, and it generates a LOT of pollution because the gases do not get hot enough to fully burn. Unfortunately, it appears that no one around here follows that advice as they all have remote starters and will let their cars run for 15-20 or even 45 minutes (my neighbor).

Another factor is that the engine will actually warm up quicker while being driven as opposed to idling because it is under load. I wait about 30 seconds for oil pressure to build and then I'm off, taking it easy until she reaches normal operating temperature.

One thing I've noted, the ECU doesn't let you go over 4KRPM for the first minute or so on AT models. I pulled past a buddy coming out of my driveway and wanted to let him hear some Boxery goodness, and the AT upshifted to 2nd at 4000 even at 100% throttle and kickdown.

I warm up the engine everyday. I just let it idle in my garage while I get some last minute things done. [quote]I pulled past a buddy coming out of my driveway and wanted to let him hear some Boxery goodness, and the AT upshifted to 2nd at 4000 even at 100% throttle and kickdown.[/quote] Whoa! Are you going WOT while the engine is cold? Ken

I just turn her on, wait for the door to finish opening, pull out and go, shift under about 3.5 to 4k under light loads and little go-pedal. Keeps it fairly safe. When it's warmed up, all is fair game. ;)

[quote name='Ken S']Whoa! Are you going WOT while the engine is cold? [/QUOTE] Just long enough to get a blurt out of the tailpipe, I was headed down a long, straight, empty road at the time. The danger of gunning the engine while it's cold is in heat buildup, so one quick shot to redline and easing the throttle back down shouldn't produce enough heat to unevenly heat soak the parts.

[quote name='05LegacyGT330Ci']I've been told not to let it just sit but do go drive the car right away at low rpms without WOT runs just to slowly lt it warm up as you drive it.[/QUOTE] Ahh another TRUE BMW Fan........ Yes if u read the M Manual it more or less says "Never let the M idle on warmup, just drive" The Scoob goes nowhere until its all nice and warm. Adam.

Wow! So much replies within 1 day! Thanks for all your information!

You know, whenever you start the engine at cold temperature, the RPM needle is usually poiting at 2K RPM. But when you let it idle for a few minutes, it will drop to 1K RPM. Why does that happen?

And what is the verdict for this thread? Is the warm up process necessary? And does warm up mean to wait till the engine's temperature rise up to certain level?

I am driving my sis's Toyota Matrix in these few weeks (still waiting to purchase the B4), and it just takes forever to warm up! Even I have driven the car for 6 miles, the temperature is still very low!

Picture(74).jpg.29c3f4e433a28d73bfdc06f2fb348672.jpg

Archived