LegacyGT.com

Do you warm up the engine everyday?

Yah Toyota/Lexus vehicles seem to take forever to warm up whether it be the LandCruiser or the LS430 I feel like it never gets its needle right in the middle no matter how long I drive it for. This is really a personal choice though but 10-15 seconds to let oil move around then drive at low RPMs til warm is my personal choice. Song of the Post: Led Zeppelin- All of my love

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have done a lot of searchings about the wamr up thing today, and this is the most interesting information about it: [url]http://www.hcdoes.org/airquality/vehicles/IdleKnow.htm[/url] Therefore, until now, I still do not have a specific answer for my question. If you guys can find or know any specific information about it, please share with us. Thank you!

Love the M3, except for those ancient looking dials. As for warming up, I just wait for the idle to come down to less than 1k. Don't "race" the car until at normal operating temp. [quote name='agctr']Ahh yes you just have to love the M Tech Wizards, always coming up with the goods..... Adam.[/QUOTE]

The information under the above mentioned link are equally to that what we can read in our car magazines. In Germany it is also forbidden to let the car idling for warm up. Some could get a fine for it, if your friend and helper (police) comes across. According to what experts say, idling seems to be some kind of senseless. We can get "stand heaters" installed here - sorry don't know the correct expression. It is a heater installed into the engine bay that is working with car fuel. It can be programmed to warm up both the engine and the passenger room. Price is about EUR 1500,-- up to EUR 2500,-- depending on size and features.

All right... So in the coming few weeks, I will try not to "warm up" the engine in the morning, and see how much differences it will make. Flo4Legacy, seems your info. is most convincible... Anyways, thanks for all your reply!

For mine, I just think the car performs 1000% better when warm. I roll out as soon as its past the first marker which only takes a few mins at most. Granted we dont get as cold here in Melbourne as some of the places in the States and UK but I know once its warm, I can get on the gas ASAP. Adam.

[quote name='agctr']For mine, I just think the car performs 1000% better when warm. I roll out as soon as its past the first marker which only takes a few mins at most. Granted we dont get as cold here in Melbourne as some of the places in the States and UK but I know once its warm, I can get on the gas ASAP. Adam.[/QUOTE] There are mechanicals in the car other than the engine that will benefit from getting up to operating temps before you romp on it -- letting your car sit and idle until the engine is warm will do nothing for the transmission or diffs. If you let it warm up in the garage/driveway, you should probably still take it easy for the first couple minutes of driving. In general, I prob wait 60 seconds before going (while fiddling with seats, sound, and air), though in the winter I tend to wait until I get warm air out of the vents (which prob indicates the engine is hot enough for the thermostat to open). I'll always give it a couple miles of driving before I mash on it though.

[quote name='KTM 525']I'd say use full sythetic oil,start it let it idle about 5-10 seconds then drive it mildly until up to operating temp,drop hammer anytime after that done.........................[/QUOTE]Be wary with this approach...engine oil takes much longer to warm than coolant. Temperature guage may be showing normal operating temperature while oil is still cool. I've watched this in my other car which has both oil temp and water temp gauges. It's usually 10 mintutes before oil temp is up to comparable level.

• 2 months later...
In the winter, i usually let the car idle much longer than I would in the summer for safety reasons. i never use a brush or scraper to get snow off the car, so i have to wait for heat from the engine for the defroster. Also, the windsheild can suddenly start to fog in the winter, especially if you have passengers, again, need heat for defrost. Winter - wait fro heat from vents Summer - start engine, go

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

[QUOTE] There are mechanicals in the car other than the engine that will benefit from getting up to operating temps before you romp on it -- letting your car sit and idle until the engine is warm will do nothing for the transmission or diffs. [/QUOTE] Correct. Add wheel bearings and other moving parts to the list. A short idle to get the oil circulating and going easy for a few kms is fine. Tom

i always let my cars warm up for a min or two. summer or winter. since the legacy has a auto timer from when u start i just wait till it hits 2 mins. in my acura i just watched the time on my cd player.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

[QUOTE]Wow! So much replies within 1 day! Thanks for all your information! You know, whenever you start the engine at cold temperature, the RPM needle is usually poiting at 2K RPM. But when you let it idle for a few minutes, it will drop to 1K RPM. Why does that happen?[/QUOTE]This is the Automatic Choke. In the 60/70's cars had a manual choke which the driver would adjust as the car warmed up, often it would hold the idle at a higher rev range. When the car was reasonably warm you could reduce it and eventually disengage it. Back when cars didn't have electronic fuel injection it was important to warm cars up before they were driven. Most cars had "Carburettor's". Try running a Carb when the engine was cold? It was pretty hard to do. Ok so these days cars aren't necessarily required to be "warmed up" as such, but my general rule of thumb is to wait for the TEMP needle to move off the bottom of the gauge. This will generally happen with in 30 sec. Regards

[quote name='Axe']Ok so these days cars aren't necessarily required to be "warmed up" as such, but my general rule of thumb is to wait for the TEMP needle to move off the bottom of the gauge. This will generally happen with in 30 sec.[/QUOTE] Maybe in Australia.. Not when it's -5F here.

[quote name='mwiener2']30 sec! Are you holding it at redline fro 30 sec? Cause that's the only way I can think of to get that needle to move in 30 sec.[/QUOTE]Ok maybe not 30sec's :redface: and yeah I am living in OZ so maybe a bit longer for you guy's. Still I would stick to waiting for the needle to move.

Archived