LegacyGT.com

New Conti's on stock rims 225/45/17(pics)

G.T.Subie

What is that emblem on the side of your car?

2.5 STi emblem. I imported a bunch (from Japanparts) and sold some for a while. You could order from them directly. It's under the Forester parts I believe.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Got them 2 weeks ago.

I have Wagon springs and I love the setup so far. With City driving H-Techs didn't cut it. The bilsteins have been a HUGE improvment.

A huge improvement in handling or more of an improvement in ride quality?

• 3 weeks later...
Ride quality was a the biggest thing for me although the handling has been improved too.

The car seems "tighter" over bumps and sturdier on the highway.

Do you have any pics with the blisteins or is it nearly identical to stock struts/ h techs?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Went with the Conti Extreme Contacts in 225/45/17 and WOW what a difference after spending 30k miles on stock RE92's:redface: .

Am pretty well sold on these, but am looking for feedback on 225/45/17 vs stock 215/45/17? Comments anyone?

Thanks!

• 3 years later...
I was thinking of getting these contis and now since I found this thread I do believe I will get them and also get my car in to be looked at for a bad wheel bearing. The only decision now is wether to get the 215/45/17 or the 225/45/17 size. hmmmmm!

I was thinking of getting these contis and now since I found this thread I do believe I will get them and also get my car in to be looked at for a bad wheel bearing. The only decision now is wether to get the 215/45/17 or the 225/45/17 size. hmmmmm!

I'm curious to see what you think about them. I just put the 215 DWS's on, and have one major complaint. I am noticing a shimmy at highway speeds and the car is now very sensitive to crosswinds etc.,. In fact the shimmy is so unnerving that I often look at the trees to see if their is a breeze/wind and usually there is not. When it is windy it takes a bunch of steering input to keep it going in the right direction. The shimmy is not any kind of vibration in the steering wheel. The car just kind of oscillates side to side. Freaky ! Ticks me off because this is part of the reason I got rid of my last car. I had a ford fusion with coilovers that was about as stable as Lindsay Lohan. Looked awesome though !!

I have only had the car for a few weeks so maybe their is more to the story. The Potenzas that were on their did not exhibit this.

I have upped the air pressure on the Conti's which has helped almost cure it, but that seems silly to have to do that. I am running 40psi in front and 38 in the back. Car rides very well these pressures. No harshness at all. The sidewalls must be really soft or something. I will drop the pressure slowly over the next few days to see what happens. I am hoping that maybe the tires just need to wear in or something. If not, I am going to be pretty upset. I have wanted to try these tires for a couple of years but could never get the correct size for my previous car or my wife's car.

Looking forward to hearing your experience. I am thinking these are more Touring Tire than Ultra HP AS at this point.

Talk about reviving an old thread....:)

I'm curious to see what you think about them. I just put the 215 DWS's on, and have one major complaint. I am noticing a shimmy at highway speeds and the car is now very sensitive to crosswinds etc.,. In fact the shimmy is so unnerving that I often look at the trees to see if their is a breeze/wind and usually there is not. When it is windy it takes a bunch of steering input to keep it going in the right direction. The shimmy is not any kind of vibration in the steering wheel. The car just kind of oscillates side to side. Freaky ! Ticks me off because this is part of the reason I got rid of my last car. I had a ford fusion with coilovers that was about as stable as Lindsay Lohan. Looked awesome though !!

I have only had the car for a few weeks so maybe their is more to the story. The Potenzas that were on their did not exhibit this.

I have upped the air pressure on the Conti's which has helped almost cure it, but that seems silly to have to do that. I am running 40psi in front and 38 in the back. Car rides very well these pressures. No harshness at all. The sidewalls must be really soft or something. I will drop the pressure slowly over the next few days to see what happens. I am hoping that maybe the tires just need to wear in or something. If not, I am going to be pretty upset. I have wanted to try these tires for a couple of years but could never get the correct size for my previous car or my wife's car.

Looking forward to hearing your experience. I am thinking these are more Touring Tire than Ultra HP AS at this point.

Talk about reviving an old thread....:)

yeah I went from a 97 intrepid to an 07 legacy and I notice now that my car gets blown all over the road when its windy. I just figured it was because of the different aerodynamics and the legacy being lighter. I never thought any more about it though, I am sorta used to it now lol.

The Conti's tend to have softer side walls. I was running the DWS on my S and didn't like how they would corner.

Yeah, I have no complaints so far abour cornering or anything else. I guess part of this just comes with the car. I seem to have found a reasonable compromise pressure wise and am happy. Only time it's been weird lately was this morning when I was following a big rig and the buffeting was making me do the shimmy shim shim. That could happen with any car I suppose. I had Dunlop Signatures on my last car and really liked them. Wonder how they would be on the Subie. Not going to worry much about that for at least 30k miles. :lol:

Archived