LegacyGT.com

New Conti's on stock rims 225/45/17(pics)

G.T.Subie

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey thank you....I think the fact that some are saying the sidewalls on the Conti's are "squishy" appears to maintain the look of a lower sidewall with the added advantage of a wider tire on the stocker wheel. I'm sold.

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

• 1 month later...

GTSubie...just curious, when they balanced the tires, did they use the same type of wheel weights that were on the stockers, or did they use a different type of weight?

I think for mine, they took off the sticky weights, and added a lead weight on the inside edge of the rim, and now I get a hum, which wasn't there before.

Any ideas?

What speeds does the hum occur? For some strange reason, mine happens at around 50+ mph. Doesn't happen during local driving, so, I have no idea what it could be...but, since I drive on the highway frequently, it's rather annoying. I will check with the shop tomorrow, and see what they say.

Thanks for the info.

Bought a set of these 2 weeks ago. I'm pretty pleased so far. I also have a noticeble hum at freeway speeds, but it depends on the road surface as to the intensity of said hum.

G.T. S you might wanna check this thread, if the hum is becoming worse. Click Here.

Mine is an '05 car, bought/made in '04, where most of the issues are occuring...so, check it out.

I may be confused but that thread has nothing to do with tires. Wheel bearings are blowing more often than headlight bulbs in the Leggy. Anyway, the tread pattern on the Conti's is a pretty aggressive A/S tread pattern. I'm assuming the hum will quiet as they wear.

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

Tire noise is one thing. I can handle that, as it's normal, most of the time.

Hum, is another. This is why I referenced the thread on the wheel bearings. I believe that that is what is causing the hum, in my car, like others in that thread. I will have the techs check out the tire/wheel weight issue this week, and if anything, I will have to schedule an appointment with Subaru to take a look at the wheel bearings. If it turns out to be the bearings, at least I know they are covered under warranty until 60K miles...

Adding new tires shouldn't create issues such as what I am experiencing...and maybe it wasn't as prevalent as before the tires were changed. Now, it's just more pronounced, and at highway speeds, it's really annoying. Tire noise I could tolerate...but, a loud hum, that's something that I cannot accept.

I will post back, once I have more info.

Bearings on my right rear wheel went out at about 40K. They definitely made a humming noise at driving speeds, but it was more "mechanical" in sound if that makes sense. When I was driving slow and turning I would hear a slight metallic grinding noise coming from the area of the wheel as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Love em so far, especially in the rain.

I can see why some say the side walls are a little soft and they do add a litte more road noise than the RE92's, but I would say they are worth the $$.

Denial is your best friend

I must agree with GT S.

I have been driving through torrential downpours, these past couple of days. They do not even budge, when going through standing water.

They grip well, for the most part...even with the soft sidewalls.

The tires do not tramline, so that's a bonus, as the RE92's use to squirm all over the place on grooved highway surfaces.

Mine are inflated to 37F and 35R but I might go up to 38F and 36 rear, to get a bit more traction...but, I will try it out as is, for now. They seem to be holding up well.

Hope that helps add to this review.

I was looking at the bridgestone pole position re960's in 18, but i might go with these instead since the price is right and there almost similar in performance.

Yeah no doubt they are a good tire but I woldn't say they are the same performance as the RE960s.

The Contieextremes are about 350 bucks cheaper!!!

But you get a 40,000 mile warranty with the Bridgestone....

Archived