LegacyGT.com

Launching an auto tips?

First off, for some odd reason this is the second browser I'm trying to use the SEARCH function and it ain't working. If this has been posted before, please forgive me and point me in the right direction. Second, I hope I got the right section :)

Well, by going with an automatic LGT I pretty much sacrificed the big AWD advantage when launching from a stop. Not only that but I'd dare say I'm at a disadvantage as it stands. I'm sure those in autos know what I'm talking about, that time until she finally gets going and turbo kicks in. So flooring it chokes her and I move as if I'm leaving the stoplight in a normal manner. So, what can be done about this? Torque braking is a no-no, there's no give in the torque converter. How do you guys take off when you have to? Do you take'er easy instead of mashing the pedal, or? How about in terms of mods? Would Cobb Stage 1 via AP eliminate this lack of low-end torque on the autos somewhat? Seriously, I think below the 3k rpm mark even a Dodge Neon could own me and it ain't a pretty feeling.

Dodge Neon's can own an auto at 3K+ too.

omglol

I'm just kidding.

Why even buy an AWD and a "have to spool" car if it's an auto?

Waste of money if you ask me.

Should have gotten an auto GTO.

Now that would have rocked your face off.

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

From BoxerGT2.5 in http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50743&page=2&highlight=launch

Place gear selector to neutral with foot on brake,

Rev car once above 2k,

Brake will sink to floor (vacuum lock)...press in brake fully,

Place gear selector in 'D' or Drive,

Floor the gas pedal all the way to floor (car will not move forward) for no more than 2-3 seconds (3-4 seconds with tranny cooler),

Release brake after 2-3 seconds (or 3-4 like above with tranny cooler)

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

From BoxerGT2.5 in http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50743&page=2&highlight=launch

Place gear selector to neutral with foot on brake,

Rev car once above 2k,

Brake will sink to floor (vacuum lock)...press in brake fully,

Place gear selector in 'D' or Drive,

Floor the gas pedal all the way to floor (car will not move forward) for no more than 2-3 seconds (3-4 seconds with tranny cooler),

Release brake after 2-3 seconds (or 3-4 like above with tranny cooler)

so by the time you do all this, how many rpm's is ur launch at?

I too have an auto LGT. The feeling when you floor it is similar to being castrated, so I do not floor it. Never have really because as you said a neon can beat you...which is probably true:icon_cry:. I push the pedal about halfway down and then kind of paw at it with my foot till I catch some power then gun it. I know that sounds gay but wtf can you do in an auto besides the process mentioned above (which I dont think is good for your car).

Should have gotten an auto GTO.

Now that would have rocked your face off.

Really? Do they run faster than the Manual GTO's? I'm just curious, because the next car I get will def be a manual and the GTO intrigues me. The new ones are dirt cheap and pack 400hp. Even if the Auto is better though I dont think I will ever get one again.

No, the manual is still faster in the GTO - it's just a much "funner" auto - something with RESPONSE and KICK - something you can burnout if you so desire.

If you are getting a manual - you can't hardly go wrong - just get something with a smooth gearbox...unlike the LGT - the gearbox is far too notchy.

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

wtf?? are you guys crazy? ok, if you want to launch an auto, and trust me you can. I have gotten all my tires to break free and burned rubber down the track. not just me, but even my tech who takes my car out after he's worked on it to make sure it's running right.

first off, do you have a tranny cooler?? and why do you need to launch the car? is the weather hot? remember, high temps is what kills our trannies and it will go kaboom. :( you can "RELATIVELY SAFELY" (note RELATIVELY) launch your car if you power break under 2800 rpms. That means you hold the brake and apply a little (just a little) throttle til you reach about 2800 rpm. I have mistakenly, foolishly and stupidly (note the STUPIDLY) revved my engine up to 4000 rpms. It is amazing my car still runs and works and that I did not blow my tranny up doing this. you don't want to hold the brake and gas for a long time, just a few seconds, enough to build up a little boost. then when the light is about to hit green, let off the brake and mash your foot to the gas.

neon beat an auto??? :( no way! and this was one of my crappiest runs! Gutted uppipe, downpipe, midpipe and AP stg 2:

Short vids :: TNTMay06LGTvsNeon.flv video by trdvibe - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://vidmg.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v384/trdvibe/Test%20N%20Tune%20May%2014%2006/Short%20vids/TNTMay06LGTvsNeon.flv@@AMEPARAM@@vidmg@@AMEPARAM@@mg@@AMEPARAM@@v384/trdvibe/Test%20N%20Tune%20May%2014%2006/Short%20vids/TNTMay06LGTvsNeon

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

I know a guy at work who absolutely hates automatic transmissions in every car he drives. He always has to move the shift lever to 1,2,3,D because it never shifts when he wants.

Sucks because I couldn't really talk about him with it (for instance saying "That's why all of my cars have been manual") because he only has one leg.

Moral of the story: If you have two legs you have no business in an AT.

I have no problem launching my auto. Just ask the Mustangs and Cameros I smoked (at the track of course). A quick brake-tq (for 1-2 seconds between 2500 and 2800) and you are out of the hole in a hurry!

This cannot be said any better.........well done:):):)

"wtf?? are you guys crazy? ok, if you want to launch an auto, and trust me you can. I have gotten all my tires to break free and burned rubber down the track. not just me, but even my tech who takes my car out after he's worked on it to make sure it's running right.

first off, do you have a tranny cooler?? and why do you need to launch the car? is the weather hot? remember, high temps is what kills our trannies and it will go kaboom. :( you can "RELATIVELY SAFELY" (note RELATIVELY) launch your car if you power break under 2800 rpms. That means you hold the brake and apply a little (just a little) throttle til you reach about 2800 rpm. I have mistakenly, foolishly and stupidly (note the STUPIDLY) revved my engine up to 4000 rpms. It is amazing my car still runs and works and that I did not blow my tranny up doing this. you don't want to hold the brake and gas for a long time, just a few seconds, enough to build up a little boost. then when the light is about to hit green, let off the brake and mash your foot to the gas.

neon beat an auto??? :( no way! and this was one of my crappiest runs! Gutted uppipe, downpipe, midpipe and AP stg 2:"

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

gianspi, thanks for the link, in that whole topic this reply was the most informative:

This is what I do with only seat of the pants dyno results. Sport mode, left foot on brake, let up, now don't punch it, drop the throttle about 20% to get the turbo spinning and then ease the throttle to max. Any other method brings turbo lag.

I've also noticed this, that I actually take off faster by squeezing it vs punching it. Ever turn over to say something to the person next to you JUST as the light turns green, then you hurry to leave? Happened to me couple times, that's how I came about to notice it.

<- not a fan of torque braking, only done it couple times on my previous ride out of curiosity more than anything else. Now as far as why auto vs turbo, I guess chalk it up to convenience. I've learned how to drive on manuals, driven nothing but manuals up until my previous car and this LGT. Will not go back to manual unless it's a week-end fun car, not the daily driver. Good to know we CAN get a half decent launch in the 5EAT.

I guess I got rid of one problem by switching rides only to uncover another :) My 3rd gen V6 Alty I could not punch because of too MUCH torque down low and FWD, this beoutch can't muster the extra kick quick enough. Meh.

joking bout neon:rolleyes:...kinda. Fully stock-no power breaking and just mashing the pedal, the car doesnt move. Is that a stock neon? 17 is a gross time for any car even a neon:lol:

i thought it was going to be faster. i was greatly disapointed. :(

and stock LGT auto, i have mashed it to the ground and it did move. had a bit of a turbo lag, but it'd have eaten up plenty of cars out there. slap it in sport shift first and you will still have a smile. sure, it's not crazy fast like you can pull in a 5MT, but oh well. if i'd wanted a 5MT to start with, i would have bought it, wouldn't i? ;) besides, next vehicle will be a 6MT, most likely the new STI hatch. but we'll see. still keep my 5EAT though and just keep playing with it. everyone mods their MT, but not that many mod their AT's here. so i'd rather be a little different than doing what everyone else does. that's why i bought my LGT and you bought yours, right? :lol: to each his/her own.

I'm stage 2 and have cut 1.6 60 foot times...... So how is it that people are bashing the autos for leaving the line slowly? I've datalogged 15psi off the line and I only brake torqued it for 2-3 seconds.... I wouldn't do it on a stock car though and make sure you have a tranny cooler (which is a must even for a stock LGT, It only takes an hour ot do and is the cheapest/best mod)

Can't find my other slip, just found this one though. Other one had a lower trap speed but I cut a 1.69 60 ft.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j263/boostsr20/LegacyGT06.jpg

I'm stage 2 and have cut 1.6 60 foot times...... So how is it that people are bashing the autos for leaving the line slowly? I've datalogged 15psi off the line and I only brake torqued it for 2-3 seconds.... I wouldn't do it on a stock car though and make sure you have a tranny cooler (which is a must even for a stock LGT, It only takes an hour ot do and is the cheapest/best mod)

Can't find my other slip, just found this one though. Other one had a lower trap speed but I cut a 1.69 60 ft.

amazing time,

what mods?

OK, what is your set up?? and you are 5EAT running these crazy numbers?? holy crap! that's insane! If all it took was a stg 2 set up on a 5EAT for 12's, then why the hell was i only able to get 13.6?? :( come on, mod list PLEASE!

Like I said before. Conditions otuside were great, I was running 19psi peak and 16 at redline on Race gas. I only ran it like that a couple passes at the strip. On normal Stage 2 boost I was hitting 13.2's at 101 all night.

MOds

Flow UP/DP

Exhaust dumped after shorty

TDC Stage 2 map wastegate helper spring GHETTO AS HELL, NOT RECOMMENDED LOL

Torco 110 race fuel

Archived