LegacyGT.com

Maintaining the rubber trim and dash

So back to my previous question, does the 303 also condition and moisturize the rubber, or just applies a protective coat? I have very mild small cracks that are visible when the trim is dusty, cracks that developed from the black rubber sitting and getting hot in the sun. I would not consider it abnormal wear and tear but I want to take better care of it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know if it has 'moisturizers' in it, but I do know it protects against cracking and drying out. It isn't going to fix any cracks you already have, but it can prevent it from happening in the future.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

The 303 is one of the best and most likely easy to find products that you can use. It isn't exactly cheap though. I believe it is upwards of $12 something per bottle. It is so worth it though. Google "303 Aerospace Protectant" and you can probably answer the question about where it is available. I buy it locally at Checker, so I don't know if it would be in the great white north.

I use Four Star Rubber & Vinyl Protectant and have found that it works just as well as 303. It is a non glossy formula that protects beautifuly. In fact, if you look in the Covercraft Sunshade thread that I just bumped you can see this product in action on my dash. It is a great protectant. I just bought out the stock on Danase.com since they don't carry it anymore, but you can still find it here and there if you look for it. DetailCity.com may still carry it.

Thanks I found a supplier for the 303 here in Dorval....4 minutes from my place however, the Four Star nothing so far....all US sites.

Again for the rubber door and window seals...try the the GM product...it is very good it moisturizes.

On the Rubber around the door window.... General Motor's makes a weatherstrip immulant...service manager at Subie dealership suggest it.

As to the dash etc....is this 303 available in Canada? and do you a url (Web Site) address

They sell 303 at Canadian Tire and Part Source

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443298952&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672470&bmUID=1211038671242&deptid=1408474396672395&ctgrid=1408474396672402&subctgrid=1408474396672470

Thanks I found a supplier for the 303 here in Dorval....4 minutes from my place however, the Four Star nothing so far....all US sites.

Again for the rubber door and window seals...try the the GM product...it is very good it moisturizes.

Try eshine.ca. He is in T.O. I believe. Chris Pace is the guy who runs it. Chris is good people, so you should have a good experience there.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Try eshine.ca. He is in T.O. I believe. Chris Pace is the guy who runs it. Chris is good people, so you should have a good experience there.

I went to his web page...he has some very cool products...have you tried the poli-sealant? There was a product by Blue Coral Called Blue Polly...it was an amazing product....I put it on my 1999Grand Am...until I could not find it anymore....the car had 10 coats of the stuff in the first 3 years of its life ..and I had not done anything to the paint surface in 3 years other then run it through a car wash....and the other day I decided to Wax the Car before I sold it and the surface came up like it was new...it sold in 2 days.

I haven't tried the poli-sealant. There are way too many products popping up these days, and unfortunately a lot of them are just private label products from the same manufactuer. I'm not saying they are all the same, but they aren't tweaked an awful lot and I just don't have the budget to try every new variation of the same sealant. :) However, if you haven't got a good sealant that you are using right now then I encourage you to give it a shot and see what you think. Chris wouldn't sell it if it weren't good stuff.

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 1 year later...

Thread revival, as I want to only use 303 on my dash and interior since it's kinda spendy.

Is silicone spray OK on the rubber trim around the windows, or is that a no-no? I ask because I know that generally we try to avoid stuff that has silicone in it for our dashboard, etc. I have a can of silicone spray and I was going to apply some. The rubber trim is clean and dry, to the point that the windows are not easily rolling up and down, so I'd like to take care of that. Price is not necessarily something that holds me back but I'd prefer something I can pick up locally. And I ONLY care about it for the rubber trim.

OCD, since we are on the subject, somewhat, say, if I have a 1-inch crack in my dash right at the top of the arc going over the dashboard, where the dash is flexible, what should I use to glue it? Would something like Loctite superglue work? I have the kind that supposebly is rubberized so it forms somewhat of a flexible bond.

Everyone has their own "special" stuff they use (I prefer Meguiars, pretty cheap, works well). But over the years there's one thing that protects the rubber trim, molding and interior more than anything else. Park the car in a garage if you can. Keeping it indoors and/or covered (yes, I cover my cars too) keeps them looking like new. It's a pain but it works. My .02 worth.

-joe-

I to am interested in what people are using.

I have heard for many year of how great "1Z (Einszett) Gummipflege" is, but have never tried it.

Years ago it could only be found at BMW dealers here in the states.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

my friend used vaseline on his rubber weather strip on his t-tops, once a month. leaved the t-tops off all day to let the vaseline soak in to the rubber, even did this in the winter. 15+ years never leaked, and rubber still soft and seals

my teacher said porsche uses a bucket of warm water and small amount of baby oil to take care of the leather?? dont know how true this is

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

"1Z einszett Rubber Care Stick "Gummi Pflege" cleans, conditions and protects weather rubber seals around car doors, windows, and trunk lids with a solvent-free water-based formula. 1Z einszett Rubber Care Stick "Gummi Pflege" prevents rubber from drying and cracking due to oxidation, heat, and UV exposure. Maintains elasticity and flexibility and will restore dried weather seals to original condition. "

I use this on all my doors, trunk, hood and moonroof rubber seals. I apply it after cleaning the rubber thoroughly with a very mild APC diluted at 1:40 (apc/water). Do not let the APC dry on the rubber. Wipe on and then off immediately. Applying Gummi Pflege is extremely simple. It has a shoe wax type spongee. Use liberally and allow the seals to fully dry. Hope this helps out a couple people.

Let me clarify my question. I am trying to figure out what NOT to use because as far as brand goes, I don't care one way or another.

For example I know that it's a good idea to avoid treating the dash with stuff that has silicone in it, so why would I apply PURE silicone to the rubber trim is what I'm wonderind. Or is silicone spray a different thing altogether?

It sounds like 1Z is the way to go based on the description. Can you get the stuff at Autozone and the like?

why do you want to avoid treating the dashboard with silicone? silicone is pretty inert so it doesn't damage stuff. on google,i found someone say to avoid treating it with anything containing silicone because it would be shiny, which can be a real pain when the sun reflects off it and then back up onto your windshield. but i don't think silicone will damage vinyl.

as for your rubber seals, silicone on rubber is good afaik.

Silicon dries out rubbers and vinyls and causes them to shrink and then crack.

NO products with silicon should EVER be used on a car IMO. It causes horrible issues with painting later on as well.

On two occasions I have been told by the manufacturer of vinyl to NOT use products containing silicon. #1 is a tonneau cover I bought and #2 was a new boat I bought.

A boats gelcoat will yellow over time due to using waxes with silicon in them which is why you see boat specific waxes a lot from manufacturers that sell car products as well. Meguires is one of them...

Cheers,

Chris

silicone doesn't dry out afaik. look at silicone caulk and see how long that stuff stays soft. that's pure silicone.

the stuff that was mixed in with it may dry out, but silicone itself doesn't dry out. whatever you do decide to use, make sure it does not contain alcohol. that's what causes cracks and other problems related to drying out.

• 1 month later...
i used 303 on the dash. it's good stuff. on a related note, maybe i'm just an idiot, but are our doors made entirely of vinyl? i know the top parts of it are, but the area inside the armwell area appears to have a piece that might actually be leather wrapped. can anyone confirm?

P.s. I have used aerospace protectant 303 on my seals. But I don't prefer it. Here's why:

I find in the winter that the trunk is the best place to test something on the seals. In the winter, my trunk often sticks (which puts alot of pressure on the seals to form micro-tears or even come unglued).

I use aerospace protectant 303 on the seals because I know it's safe....but it doesn't last too long as the sticking starts again in a month or two.

I'd like to find something simple and elegant. I've heard amazing things about Shin-Etsu grease (honda), and that it goes a long way, but I've never used it.

Joe

• 7 months later...

I've used silicone spray and it has worked so-so. It cleaned nicely and got the trim to be soft, but doesn't seem to "stick around" for long. I cleaned and sprayed them down right as winter rolled around and a month later the windows were squeaking again if I rolled them down. I also had to pry the doors open a couple times, it wasn't bad but I was expecting the spray to take care of those problems. Maybe I just have unrealistic expectations of the spray-down silicone stuff, it does seem pretty thin and watery. I used the Liquid Wrench brand, the white and yellow can.

Supposebly the Einszett Gummi Pfledge stuff is supposed to be good, but not found in local stores as far as I can tell

http://www.1z-usa.com/einszett_door_seals.html

It's German, it's not found locally, it's gotta be good, right?

Archived