LegacyGT.com

Vortex generator?? Works?

mastabo

Pure garbage. These things have been floating around for years. Nothing more than a gimmick.

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/productreviews/fr/aafpr052002.htm

Actually, I produced a TV show many years ago, and on one of the segments I wanted to prove, or disprove claims made by various automotive products. We met the guy from Tornado and arranged to do a test.

I provided the vehicle and the venue...a then brand new Dodge Intepid owned by one of our employees and the location was the dyno at Saddleback College in Orange County, CA.

Long story short, ran the car on the dyno = 100 whp. Added the tornado, 140 whp. Couldn't believe it...took out the tornado, ran it again, 100whp, added the tornado, 140 whp. Crazy! Even the Tornado rep was amazed!

As for emissions, my '85 Vette with 3000 miles on it...hooked it up to the HC/CO machine at Harbor College in Torrance, CA...passed fine, but when the Tornado was added, the numbers dropped to less than half of the original readings.

I bought the Tornado for my 454 Suburban, and there was no difference in mileage or power feel (never had a chance to empirically test it). Also, did the same for my wife's Blazer...no real change.

The moral of this story: It may work in some cars and not in others! Probably has to do with how much effort the OE Manufacturer put into the design of the intake tract.

Long story short, ran the car on the dyno = 100 whp. Added the tornado, 140 whp. Couldn't believe it...took out the tornado, ran it again, 100whp, added the tornado, 140 whp. Crazy! Even the Tornado rep was amazed!

Holy cow! A 40% gain in whp.......so if it worked the same in my LGT, it should give me what.....305whp. Screw the Cobb Stg II and the $1k that'd cost, this is only $10.95 and has the potential to provide more power and better mileage while keeping it stock and not voiding my warranty!

I'm not sure how they've kept this a secret for so long and why the manufacturers aren't putting in such a simple, cheap $5 part to increase fuel mileage and hp.......must be that conspiracy between big oil and the car makers again. Whatever happened to that guy that invented the 100mpg carb?:iam:

Plus, I bet it'll help with my sex life, increase the size of my unit and cure baldness......no wait, I'm confusing that with all the other miracle products that I can order for $10.95.

Doesn't that vortex effect actually create tubulance in the system. Which is bad when combined with a MAF which is supposed to smooth out airflow. But I fell for it on my truck, gained nothing, but endless questions of does it work.

Dont worry if a time machine appears on ebay for sale, Id be intrstred in it to. Even though it makes false claims

Vortex generators are common on aircraft.

They are used to increase the speed of the air over a swept wing so that the aircraft is more controllable at slower speeds. Commonly found on STOL aircraft.

The only thing this would do in cars is indeed speed up airflow before intake, thus giving more air to flow into the intake, but as one has pointed out already .. a round vortex generator?! WTF?!

It's definately bollocks and one shouldn't fall for it.

Want to increase airflow, make flat sheet of metal in a seperated triangle form without the base of the triangle and place them in equal distance on the base in front of your intake, now that "would" be useful. How much that would affect performance I don't know but those ARE real vortrex generators.

btw.. spikes on the EVO aren't just cool. They are indeed meant as VG's and they have proven effective. They do not provie to increase speed etc, but they control the airflow better. Since one of the VG's characteristics is to limit seperation, tests with VG's noticed more body hugging airflow, thus allowing more airflow to pass on either side of the spoiler, which makes the spoiler a lot moire effective with increased downforce.

Archived