LegacyGT.com

New Tundra crash test

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not sure what Toyota was expecting. The only thing that Ford, GM and Dodge do right is pick-up trucks. They have the market on lock down. While Nissan and Toyota might score a few sales, they have a very long road to travel to win the hearts and minds of the typical pick-up truck owners.

It would probably be cheaper for Nissan and Toyota not to even bother with the pick-up market and devote the R&D and production money to other areas within their companies.

I am not sure what Toyota was expecting. The only thing that Ford, GM and Dodge do right is pick-up trucks. They have the market on lock down. While Nissan and Toyota might score a few sales, they have a very long road to travel to win the hearts and minds of the typical pick-up truck owners.

It would probably be cheaper for Nissan and Toyota not to even bother with the pick-up market and devote the R&D and production money to other areas within their companies.

Of course, it'd be cheaper for Ford, GM, and Dodge to not even bother with the car market, and focus on trucks, where they actually have some success...but nobody's going to do that, because if an American truck buyer is going to buy a car, they'll look at the companies that make the trucks they like. Likewise, if you've owned Japanese cars, and liked them, you're probably going to look very closely at a Tundra or a Titan. Toyota certainly has the money to spare on trying to take some of the full-size pickup market away from Detroit, so why not try? I say more power to 'em...but maybe they should spend more R&D $$$ on truck safety...:rolleyes:

~Zach

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

The fact that this hit the internet faster than another Britney Spears "no underwear" picture tells me one thing...

The domestics are scared!! Same kind of publicity crap they pulled when the Japanese started sending cars over here. It will end the same way :)

For a company that wasn't making full size pickups last year the Tundra this year is damn close to the mark. Thats like someone picking up a baseball bat for the first time and missing a home run on a major league fastball by a few feet.

With regards to the test ,Toyota never makes the same mistake twice.

So, Why did the Ford F-150 get 5th out of 5th place in a Car and Driver truck challenge. Granted the Chevy took first, but if ford is so great they shouldn't have been behind the Japanese trucks right?

The current F150 been out for a couple of years now. The current F150 was last redesigned for the 2004 model year, therefore it's not very surprising being that the current model is just about 4 years old now.

I've driven one & fro the money I would def. own one over any of the domestics.

If you are a stock auto LGT do not try & test the 5.7l......you will lose for the MT LGT drivers.......you better be on the ball shifting otherwise you will lose also

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

I had the opportunity to take a look at the new Tundra a couple of days ago in Rapid City, and I have to say that I was a bit underwhelmed. The body fit and finish was not up to Toyota standards, the dash and instrumentation looked like they were slapped together as an afterthought, and the "Double Cab" had what appeared to be little room in the back seat. I know Toyota offers a "Crew Max" which is larger, but they won't offer it with a full size bed. About the only feature I really liked was the Red Rock leather, but there's no way in hell I will select a vehicle just for an interior color.

I typically do not get very excited about domestic vehicles; however, due to the excellent reviews I also took a look at the new GMC. After looking over both the 1/2 and 3/4 ton GMC I can see why the new GMT900's have been winning comparison tests. Very very very good fit and finish, tight body panel gaps, nice well designed interior with nice logical instrumentation placement (not enough color choices though). I would liked to have seen a console shift with the bucket seats, but it's not a huge deal breaker.

While I realize that Toyota has a great new engine and transmission, I don't really look at a truck as a performance vehicle so 0-60 times are not at the top of my list of considerations for a truck. GM should have six speeds on all the GMT900's by next year at the latest which should help narrow the performance gap. For those that want the most powerful 1/2 ton, the new Denali still out guns the Toyota with the new 6.2L hooked up to the new six speed auto. Also for those that would buy a hot rodded pick-em' up truck, the GM small block has lots of good bolt ons that are plentiful cheap and effective.

One other factor that will determine what I end up with, and what many truck buyers will buy is how much vehicle can be had for the money. The limited double cab Tundra with the options I would want is about $42K, never mind the price of a crew max. For $47K I could buy a loaded 3/4 ton GMC with the Duramax and the Allison transmission, but after getting my sweet railroad vendor discount of about $6K I am in the same ball park as the Toyota price wise for a more capable truck. Without the diesel, the 3/4 ton GMC would be right in the $40-41K range, and still has more capability than the Toyota.

With any luck the Toyota will not sell well, and they will put a bunch of incentives on them next year when I am ready to buy. Otherwise it is kind of hard to justify buying the new Tundra. The Dodge, and Ford, are in need of a redesign to be competitive at this point, and the Nissan could use some freshening too.

Wow....fit & finish were great on the one limited crew i drove & the reg. cab i just looked at. As far as performance goes i'd bet once the 6.2 in the Denali is put on the dyno there #'s are going to be VERY close.

The 5.7 toyota engine is def. underrated

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

The interior of a Toyota truck has usually been more utilitarian rather and posh. But when it comes to reliability they have always been top notch. And more than anything that is what Toyota has become well known for and sought after.

I think a lot of people who have switched over to Japanese cars are just sick and tired of the problems associated with owning a domestic vehicle.

Between my dad and I we have owned a fair amount of Japanese and domestic vehicles. Each and every time the Japanese cars have been at least 10x more reliable. My dad also bought a Mercedes at one point and was totally disgusted with all the problems it had. Overall, our experience is completely in-line with what most reputable magazines are reporting.

In the past Toyota trucks really couldn't compete with the domestic trucks in terms of size, hauling capability, and performance, etc.; the stuff most truck owners want. This latest model has come a long way and in many regards beats the Fords, GMs, and Chryslers.

Hopefully, the domestic brands will counter this by making better, more reliable cars and trucks and not just waste more money into advertising and lobbying for crap.

Just like every vehicle, there will be fanboys and haters. The Tundra isn't immune.

My grandparents will soon replace their 05 Tundra double cab (limited, 4x4) with either the new Tundra or a GMC depending on how the test drive of both vehicles goes.

Just wait til Toyota drops their new diesel truck next year. For any of you who don't undestand economics, this is a vehicle war we should all be paying very close attention to. Toyota is poised to put a serious dent in the sales of Ford and GMs light truck sales. As many of you know, the trucks are literally the only thing keeping those two afloat right now. If either one of those companies is to teeter and crash, the ripple effect through our economy could be devastating.

There are many, many light truck buyers who will make the change to Toyota now that they have a honest-to-goodness full size pickup. Everyone (including dyed in the wool ford/gm/dodge guys if you get them drunk enough) knows that Toyota makes a far superior product to anything domestic. I know at least 5 contractors who will off their american POS squeaky rattletrap trucks (2-3 years old) to plunk down their hard earned greenbacks on one of these.

Just wait til Toyota drops their new diesel truck next year. For any of you who don't undestand economics, this is a vehicle war we should all be paying very close attention to. Toyota is poised to put a serious dent in the sales of Ford and GMs light truck sales. As many of you know, the trucks are literally the only thing keeping those two afloat right now. If either one of those companies is to teeter and crash, the ripple effect through our economy could be devastating.

There are many, many light truck buyers who will make the change to Toyota now that they have a honest-to-goodness full size pickup. Everyone (including dyed in the wool ford/gm/dodge guys if you get them drunk enough) knows that Toyota makes a far superior product to anything domestic. I know at least 5 contractors who will off their american POS squeaky rattletrap trucks (2-3 years old) to plunk down their hard earned greenbacks on one of these.

As long as it makes 350hp to 365hp and 650-660+ lb ft torque, it will be competitive.

Archived