LegacyGT.com

New Tundra crash test

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fit & finish in domestic trucks is good?????????:lol:

Agood buddy I help coach with has a 05 52k GMC duramax crew cab with leather.....fit & finish:rolleyes:

That's how I always felt, but I am telling you the new GMT900's have very good fit and finish. The body panel gaps were much more consistent and tight that those on the Tundra, especially those on the hood. Interior materials on the GM were also very good, the plastics looked good, the leather finally looks nice and durable, and the layout and design are much more cohesive.

My biggest complaint with the Toyota other than lack of configurations and real street price for what you get, is the dash layout and materials. For crying out loud who is the f'in moron that designed that dash? What in the hell would posses them to choose silver plastic like the same on the front of my cheap computer for the dash? Then on the other side have matte black plastic, and in the middle glossy black plastic that appears to have come off of a Kenmore microwave oven? Why?:mad:

I loved the older Tundra for the attention to detail displayed in it's design and finish, but the new one I can not say that about. While I am sure it will be a good vehicle, I also know that for the most part GM turns out a good truck reliability wise. Also to great extent I think GM finally gets "it". I will wait a year anyhow and see how things progress in owner's satisfaction for the two new models.

Just priced a crew cab out on that link & no I didnt select every option........

The grand total............just over 54K:eek::eek::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Damn, about all I could think of to put on one came out to $47-49K.:lol:

There are many, many light truck buyers who will make the change to Toyota now that they have a honest-to-goodness full size pickup. Everyone (including dyed in the wool ford/gm/dodge guys if you get them drunk enough) knows that Toyota makes a far superior product to anything domestic. I know at least 5 contractors who will off their american POS squeaky rattletrap trucks (2-3 years old) to plunk down their hard earned greenbacks on one of these.

really? i work for a contractor. and we had toyotas for a few years as light service trucks. we've had chevy vans bought at the same time(late80's early90's). the toyotas are gone. rotted out, blown trannys, blown engines, blown rear axles. we haven't killed the chevys yet. and in my years as a service mechanic puttin about 80K a year of seriously abused miles on my van(s) i have yet to kill a chevy V8.

Has anyone stopped to think for a moment that one of the potential reasons that Toyota trucks in this country have such a reputation for quality over domestic trucks, is that a typical Toyota owner will not subject the truck to "work truck' duties?

The dealership I used to work for also sold Toyota, and I sold quite a few trucks there as well as BMW's. I did not encounter too many Toyota "work trucks", about the hardest activity most Tundra owners put their trucks to was picking up a couple of hundred pounds of mulch, or towing a boat. Not surprisingly, the vehicles tend to last a long time as they are not abused. At the same time I look at the fleet of work trucks that the BNSF uses for various jobs where access is needed next to tracks, and I am amazed that the damn things still run at all. They are always loaded with what looks to be about 3000lbs of tools, plus four adult males (that are usually not small), being driven on trails that barely qualify as a trail in many cases. Yet everyone that I have been in has had well over 100,000 miles on it, and they still work. Do most of them have interior rattles? Damn right they do, and any vehicle you drive that much fully loaded over crappy "roads" and logging paths will have rattles and lots of them.

I am not a fan of the Ford deisels, but man - there new '08 Super Duties look bad ass.

http://i5.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/93/74/06f3_3.JPG

Until Ford dumps Navistar (International) as it's engine supplier, I would not consider a diesel Ford. Run away, far far away.:lol:

I hate US trucks, but have been froced to own them for the past 16 years. I cant wait until Toyota finally make a truck with the same towing/load compacity. 50k is right in line with what a new Fords F350 is going for. Add 5k more for deisel.

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

I hate US trucks, but have been froced to own them for the past 16 years. I cant wait until Toyota finally make a truck with the same towing/load compacity. 50k is right in line with what a new Fords F350 is going for. Add 5k more for deisel.

Why have you been forced to own domestic trucks? Do you have to tow on a regular basis? Which ones have you owned, and what are your biggest complaints with them? How could they be improved?

Has anyone stopped to think for a moment that one of the potential reasons that Toyota trucks in this country have such a reputation for quality over domestic trucks, is that a typical Toyota owner will not subject the truck to "work truck' duties?

The dealership I used to work for also sold Toyota, and I sold quite a few trucks there as well as BMW's. I did not encounter too many Toyota "work trucks", about the hardest activity most Tundra owners put their trucks to was picking up a couple of hundred pounds of mulch, or towing a boat. Not surprisingly, the vehicles tend to last a long time as they are not abused. At the same time I look at the fleet of work trucks that the BNSF uses for various jobs where access is needed next to tracks, and I am amazed that the damn things still run at all. They are always loaded with what looks to be about 3000lbs of tools, plus four adult males (that are usually not small), being driven on trails that barely qualify as a trail in many cases. Yet everyone that I have been in has had well over 100,000 miles on it, and they still work. Do most of them have interior rattles? Damn right they do, and any vehicle you drive that much fully loaded over crappy "roads" and logging paths will have rattles and lots of them.

You make a good point. I know quite a few people with 100k plus toyota trucks but the truth is that they have rarely ever had a load and used them for running around. I don't think they would hold up so well with realistic loads of a regular work truck

It would probably be cheaper for Nissan and Toyota not to even bother with the pick-up market and devote the R&D and production money to other areas within their companies.

actually, it's cheaper for them to come to the truck market and sell many less, because they make SO much more per vehicle than they do on cars. Remember when truck-based vehicles were about 1/2 what cars were? Now that everyone wants an SUV, they've jacked up the price. Trucks and truck-based SUV's are the most profitable segment of the automotive market.

Goin' to Carolina in my mind...and in my car on the 16th!

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=9a1f6477beb1e1486dc10138285bee51.505090

I would like to see a 20 year old domestic survive this.

What does that prove? Top Gear also did a similar test on a Porsche, and it took everything they could think of to "kill" it too. Now if the wankers at Top Gear had put the truck, at the foot of the building and it still ran after the building came down on top of it I would be impressed.

I have little doubt that a US domestic truck could have survived those conditions just as well as the Toyota. It's not like Toyota uses magic steel to make the damn things.:lol:

Archived