LegacyGT.com

New Tundra crash test

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So how is it Japanese cars and trucks have gotten the reputation of being so reliable....;)

Japanese cars and trucks have a reputation for being reliable since for the most part they are quite reliable. However, domestic trucks in my experience are also very reliable. Furthermore, not all Japanese cars and trucks are reliable. Take my Legacy for example, it eats headlight bulbs and fuel injectors like candy, I had to replace one window when the regulator had a screw come loose and scratch it all to hell. Real good reliability there. Nissan hasn't had a very good time with the reliability of the Titan.

The Top Gear test was not a reliability test, it was an extended crash test that you could repeat with a Ford Ranger and get the same results with.

Mercedes Benz used to have the reputation of being very reliable too, but others caught up. I will call the Tundra a reliable truck once it is proven to be reliable after being worked as hard as other trucks that are used for work. I hold no grudge against Toyota, as competition and choices are great for the consumer. Until I see owners driving around overloaded Tundras on crappy rutted out "roads" for 200,000 miles with less problems than a domestic, I can not say they are more reliable or as durable.

So how is it Japanese cars and trucks have gotten the reputation of being so reliable....;)

over all build quality and stringent checks for craftmenship as well. american cars might be designed well, but unions allow US workers to be lazy! thats why we have problems with our subarus. and hell, a lot of american cars are built in mexico. come on. but you still can't knock a chevy fullsize truck!!!

over all build quality and stringent checks for craftmenship as well. american cars might be designed well

Designed well... NOT! I seem to recall a Ford/Firestone fiasco where both sides were blaming each other for all sorts of things. Quite a few facts surfaced from that incident that leads me to believe those Fords were not designed well. The worse part of that is how many people died or were hurt before Ford decided to do something about it. And how about the F150s that would catch on fire... again not designed well. I have inside knowledge about all sorts of Ford problems and can write forever about them. My cousin was a Ford master mechanic for over 15 years and my uncle is currently working as a Ford tech now and they have all sorts of stories about which cars are problematic and pure crap. BTW, my cousin only owns Fords but recently switched to working at a Lexus dealership. In the past he use to come up with all sorts of excuses why Fords were no.1 even as his dealership worked on a couple dozen major motor and tranny work EVERY day. Now that he works at a Lexus dealership, which BTW is just as big, major motor and tranny work is actually quite rare.

Ever hear about all the problems Chrysler motors and trannies have. Again, not designed well.

I use to work as a tech at a dealership that dealt with Chryslers and I saw all their problems day in and day out.

And although I don't know many GM mechanics and won't be able to tell you what their biggest problems are the most problematic cars my dad and I have ever owned were all GMs.

I also know a lot of Toyota, Honda and Mitsubishi design problems over the years as well since I've worked on a lot of those vehicles. And quite frankly none of the car manufacturers are perfect. But the point is reputable magazines report the same things most everyone on here knows and that is which manufacturers put out better and more reliable products. And domestic labels are less reliable than Japanese brands with German automobiles being the least reliable of the bunch. These are things that have become obvious to anyone that has owned more than a few vehicles. So the manufacturers can claim whatever they want and the advertising department can try to fool some people but in the end the products speak for themselves. And people talk about their experiences with those products.;)

Designed well... NOT! I seem to recall a Ford/Firestone fiasco where both sides were blaming each other for all sorts of things. Quite a few facts surfaced from that incident that leads me to believe those Fords were not designed well. The worse part of that is how many people died or were hurt before Ford decided to do something about it. And how about the F150s that would catch on fire... again not designed well. I have inside knowledge about all sorts of Ford problems and can write forever about them. My cousin was a Ford master mechanic for over 15 years and my uncle is currently working as a Ford tech now and they have all sorts of stories about which cars are problematic and pure crap. BTW, my cousin only owns Fords but recently switched to working at a Lexus dealership. In the past he use to come up with all sorts of excuses why Fords were no.1 even as his dealership worked on a couple dozen major motor and tranny work EVERY day. Now that he works at a Lexus dealership, which BTW is just as big, major motor and tranny work is actually quite rare.

Ever hear about all the problems Chrysler motors and trannies have. Again, not designed well.

I use to work as a tech at a dealership that dealt with Chryslers and I saw all their problems day in and day out.

And although I don't know many GM mechanics and won't be able to tell you what their biggest problems are the most problematic cars my dad and I have ever owned were all GMs.

I also know a lot of Toyota, Honda and Mitsubishi design problems over the years as well since I've worked on a lot of those vehicles. And quite frankly none of the car manufacturers are perfect. But the point is reputable magazines report the same things most everyone on here knows and that is which manufacturers put out better and more reliable products. And domestic labels are less reliable than Japanese brands with German automobiles being the least reliable of the bunch. These are things that have become obvious to anyone that has owned more than a few vehicles. So the manufacturers can claim whatever they want and the advertising department can try to fool some people but in the end the products speak for themselves. And people talk about their experiences with those products.;)

Very well put. Like it or not, with a very skillful hand, Toyota is taking over the automotive world. Look at the retention rate that Lexus enjoys, I think it is like +80%! I'm not super psyched about the personality of toyota Vehicles, but they make a hell of a good product. The new designs are actually pretty attractive, and if they would start making a competing product to the LGT/OBXT I would probably buy it.

...and if they would start making a competing product to the LGT/OBXT I would probably buy it.

Whoah don't give them any ideas :) With Subaru cutting its exposure by eliminating the Legacy, an Outback like wagon from Toyota would be a death sentence to Subaru. A Saaburu was not much of a competition but a Toyotaru could very well outsell its Subaru counter part.

As for the Tundra. I'm betting on Toyota. I've been burned too many times by betting against them especially when going with the "Big" 3.

I worked for a dealership that sold Toyota and Lexus, and major motor work was very common, especially on the 3.0L and 3.3L V6. The techs called them the sludge-o-matic. Not a well designed engine, coolant and oil passages to the heads were too small, and the oil would coke up in the heads due to excessive heat build up. We had one or two in per week with that problem. Typically it resulted in a new engine being put in the vehicle.

Ford quality control is crap right now, and Ford transmissions have always sucked it hard. I have not been very impressed with Ford engine durability either. Chrysler has the same problems as Ford on these issues.

GM though, does make some pretty damn tough engines and transmissions. The rest of the vehicle is what needs to catch up in GM's case, and I think they are coming to grips with this. Hell in 2004 a Buick beat out the Camry as the most reliable family car in Consumer Reports. Not that the Buick is a desirable car to drive, but saying a domestic maker can't produce a good car is just a load of crap.

My friend has a newer f150...its a heap. Lots of problems...i was pretty surprised to hear it. I had a 02 base silverado and loved it...i regret getting rid of it. It was a v6 but had plenty of power and it held up well.....

From my exp with japanese trucks the bodies are usually garbage...they may run forever but the bodies don't last long...there is a toyota around here running with a chevy bed on it.

Archived