LegacyGT.com

Megan Racing vs. others...

mustang killer

I have the MR CBE and like it. Good products? As far as I can tell.

Different grades of SS will cause variance in price. Keep in mind that companies also have to recoup the R&D costs. Seeing that Cobb's was two years late, I can see why it is priced where it is at.

The MR is dyno proven, so it may give you more than Cobb's.

It all boils down to what you want to pay. Saving $400 on the CBE compared to Cobb's is money spent elsewhere. Throw in the DP, and you are looking at about $700 savings.

I just have procured the MR resonator and Y-pipes. Not the mufflers, or the downpipe... but if the pieces I have are any indication, the rest is great stuff, too.

the pipes are mandrel bent and polished, the flanges are also polished. the resonator isn't all that big, but it should do what it is supposed to.

The dimensions are not the same as the OE y-pipe, IIRC, so the stock mufflers, or replacements for them won't directly fit.

The shipping box said that the Megan Racing products are made in Taiwan.

the product is 304 Stainless, and fully polished on the outside. There should be no longevity issues. The Cobb parts are not fully polished, and jointed in slightly different locations, but should be similar in terms of longevity and material.

Don't ask me why the Cobb part is almost twice as expensive... but part of it might be to pay for the delays in development time... workers' wages to pay for...

i like the look and quad tip on the megan racing, it is just too quiet for me. i just dont hear the same sound as some people say they hear. in some of the vids you can barely hear the exhaust over the dyno.

and with cobb stuff it seems you pay for the name too. almost all catbacks will give about the same results, +/- a few numbers here and there. they really all kinda look the same too, its either a quad tip or single 3" ones.

stage 2

I just have procured the MR resonator and Y-pipes. Not the mufflers, or the downpipe... but if the pieces I have are any indication, the rest is great stuff, too.

the pipes are mandrel bent and polished, the flanges are also polished. the resonator isn't all that big, but it should do what it is supposed to.

The dimensions are not the same as the OE y-pipe, IIRC, so the stock mufflers, or replacements for them won't directly fit.

The shipping box said that the Megan Racing products are made in Taiwan.

the product is 304 Stainless, and fully polished on the outside. There should be no longevity issues. The Cobb parts are not fully polished, and jointed in slightly different locations, but should be similar in terms of longevity and material.

Don't ask me why the Cobb part is almost twice as expensive... but part of it might be to pay for the delays in development time... workers' wages to pay for...

MR products are constructed from the same 304SS that almost all other aftermarket automotive exhaust products are made from. They are TIG welded by experienced craftsmen. All flanges are stainless steel as well. Some people might scoff at this, but being made in Taiwan is better than being made in China. Labor costs are quite a bit higher in Taiwan, but production quality and quality control is much better than in China. As for other brands, R&D costs only add up to so much on something like a catback. Many times you are paying for the name or for production costs that are higher than they need to be. MR builds in volume, keeps production costs in check and passes the savings along to the consumer.

the megan racing exaust is a quality built product. the sound is awsome and perfect for these cars, the price is just right. now you could buy the certin systems that cost over 1000 bucks but there is not much of a diffrence. i have this system on my 07 spec-b and love it. paul is a great guy with a awsome product.

pick one up you will love it!

the megan racing exaust is a quality built product. the sound is awsome and perfect for these cars, the price is just right. now you could buy the certin systems that cost over 1000 bucks but there is not much of a diffrence. i have this system on my 07 spec-b and love it. paul is a great guy with a awsome product.

pick one up you will love it!

Thanks Marty. Let me know when you get a chance to pick up your springs. Looks like I'll be at the Prodrive meet/show this weekend, so I can bring them to you then if you don't get a chance to pick them up sooner.

MR products are constructed from the same 304SS that almost all other aftermarket automotive exhaust products are made from. They are TIG welded by experienced craftsmen. All flanges are stainless steel as well. Some people might scoff at this, but being made in Taiwan is better than being made in China. Labor costs are quite a bit higher in Taiwan, but production quality and quality control is much better than in China. As for other brands, R&D costs only add up to so much on something like a catback. Many times you are paying for the name or for production costs that are higher than they need to be. MR builds in volume, keeps production costs in check and passes the savings along to the consumer.

A big :whore: to this. Generally speaking, Taiwan is years ahead of the mainland for quality, the downside is the higher cost.

The only part I have seen in person from MR is an UP and I didn't like it. That said, I like what have seen (on the web) regarding their headers and CBE and would buy either of those with no heistation.

i like the look and quad tip on the megan racing, it is just too quiet for me. i just dont hear the same sound as some people say they hear. in some of the vids you can barely hear the exhaust over the dyno.

My MR CBE sound got noticeably deeper and louder once i put in a DP. that may help if your looking for more sound. Its just right for me. Lovin it.

One thing about MR & the LGT community is Paul/Boostjunkie. Not only does he Rep MR but also has a LGT, he's gone above and beyond to accomidate all of us here on this forum. His attention to detail is like no other, and he goes the extra mile to make every transaction as smooth as possible. He's family, and will treat you the same...

LGT + MR + Paul/boostJunkie = Peace of mind!!

:wub:

~Sucka-Duck~

One thing about MR & the LGT community is Paul/Boostjunkie. Not only does he Rep MR but also has a LGT, he's gone above and beyond to accomidate all of us here on this forum. His attention to detail is like no other, and he goes the extra mile to make every transaction as smooth as possible. He's family, and will treat you the same...

LGT + MR + Paul/boostJunkie = Peace of mind!!

:wub:

Awwwww.... I *HEART* you Merv!:wub::wub::lol::lol:

I have MR CBE.....I wasnt too happy with delivery, i mean I expected them to like get it like from california in like 1 hour instead of like second day...way too slow....god......And the exhaust was too polished...i mean like....my eyes like hurt when I look at it......and the sounds....totally not worth it....i wanted a ricer lawnmower sounds...but instead I got a like deep rumble sound....like ewww wtf???

:spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin:

Seriously, I love it. Great product, great people. Sounds awesome, my friends thought my car was a V8 before I told them. I love the twin tips, pretty damn good price too. GET IT NOW :mad: :mad: :mad:

Just to edify, I am not scoffing at being made in taiwan. That is fine by me. I agree that it is better than china, especially with a cursory overview of their political situation. It is also probably part of the reason that it costs less than american made parts, due to labor costs.

I am proud to buy american made products, but I don't have a problem supporting most above-board outside manufacturers either, and sometimes the "made in america" tag comes with a significant hike in price, and it becomes an issue of being able to afford a product or not. Demand doesn't exist without the ability to pay, along with the desire to buy.

Part of the reason that I am going with a used/piecemeal/hybrid MR/Magnaflow system are the tips. The double-walled magnaflow slash cut tips are very nice looking, and the 14829 mufflers are smaller in size, so not to hang out under the bumper very much. (only 5" tall, with a four inch round tip, only a half inch hangs below the bottom of the tip.) If the MR setup had such good looking tips (this CBE is probably going to last the life of the vehicle, so every aspect is somewhat important, even looks.) I would have considered the whole kit as a piece, which is a matter of individual taste.

The other part is that I can afford to stagger the cash and buy parts a few at a time, instead of all at once, which is a help to the checkbook. Unfortunately, that may not be a viable course for everyone, since I got very lucky with some used and spare parts that might not otherwise be available for individual purchase. Largely thanks to LegacyChick for a second-hand resonator pipe.

BoostJunkie has been great, also, with all of his help. It is good to support individuals you have contact with, and who provide a quality product. I would recommend him as a contact to anyone interested in exhaust, and are considering the Megan Racing products.

Ok , ok Seriously now:

I worked with Paul/Boostjunkie and MR in finishing up the release of the catbacks and have seen first hand what kind of OCD Paul has when it comes to his work. I think in all we must have mocked up 3+ midpipes alone and are currently working on an AT downpipe for our cars now that the MT is finished. The products are well built, dyno proven, and highly affordable which is something that MR has strived to provide from the begining.

Archived