LegacyGT.com

tuner lugs

BigT

I have McGard Spline-drive lugs, with conical bearing seats. (the cone seat can spin separately from the threaded/splined part of the lug. The seat stays stationary, and engaged when you tighten the lug...)

I haven't had any problems so far. the lugs are narrower than stock, but they seem to be engaged just fine.

conical seats should be fairly interchangeable. I believe they are almost all cut at a fairly standard angle. different shaped seats may not be. some use hemispherical seats (rounded engagement surfaces) or flange seats, or other things, but those are usually manufacturer specific, and aftermarket wheels for those cars usually revert to use conical seat lug nuts, unless the car typically uses lug bolts. (bolt goes through the wheel into the hub, rather than stud extending from the hub)

On a car with bolts, or non-conical seat lug nuts, I can see why they wouldn't be interchangeable. but I would think that most conical seat arrangements would be, including subaru. But I could be less than completely informed.

And as was said, make sure whatever you use is the right thread pitch. A lot more contact area and friction on the threads than on the wheel lug seats.

I have McGard Spline-drive lugs, with conical bearing seats. (the cone seat can spin separately from the threaded/splined part of the lug. The seat stays stationary, and engaged when you tighten the lug...)

I haven't had any problems so far. the lugs are narrower than stock, but they seem to be engaged just fine.

conical seats should be fairly interchangeable. I believe they are almost all cut at a fairly standard angle. different shaped seats may not be. some use hemispherical seats (rounded engagement surfaces) or flange seats, or other things, but those are usually manufacturer specific, and aftermarket wheels for those cars usually revert to use conical seat lug nuts, unless the car typically uses lug bolts. (bolt goes through the wheel into the hub, rather than stud extending from the hub)

On a car with bolts, or non-conical seat lug nuts, I can see why they wouldn't be interchangeable. but I would think that most conical seat arrangements would be, including subaru. But I could be less than completely informed.

And as was said, make sure whatever you use is the right thread pitch. A lot more contact area and friction on the threads than on the wheel lug seats.

Ok WOW I didn't understand anything you said, and I had no idea there was so much to know about lug nuts. Guess I've got some more research to do, or experiments.

They threw them out because they are jackasses :(

Do the lug nuts, and the wheels look like they have cone seats?

The end of the lug nuts with the threaded hole should look like a cone shape

The wheel lug holes should look like they have a cone dish to them...

Then they should be ok. theoretically there could be different angles to the cone shapes from wheel to lug nut, but I think it is pretty likely that they are the same.

I have had two sets of tuner lugs on my Legacy both work with the OE wheels. Just make sure they thread on easily (right thread pitch) and get torqued down evenly, and re-check them after 50 miles, and periodically after that.

Chances are, they'll be fine, otherwise exchange them for ones that are the correct specification for Subarus or Nissans. (same lug nut size, but the studs are spaced differently, so the wheels themselves aren't interchangeable.)

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but ALL Subaru Models use 12mm x 1.25 lug nuts. The ones I have are the black lugs pictured just below. The silver bit is the seat, and on these particular lugs, the black main part of the lug turns independently of the silver seat, when it presses on the wheel. Most lugs, though are just one piece, and the cone seat section spins in the wheel lug hole until it is tightened.

http://www.subydude.com/osc/product_info.php/cPath/220_21_92/products_id/43

http://www.subydude.com/images/prod/products/Wheelaccessories/500/500/McGard_Compare_01.jpg

- Stock lugs have a rounded seat and some have seat angles that are not the same as the ROTA which means SMALL contact point .(see illustration below)

http://www.subydude.com/images/prod/products/misc/round_edge.JPG

- THESE lugs have the same taper as rota lugs which means LARGER contact point. (see below)

http://www.subydude.com/images/prod/products/misc/flat_edge.JPG

As long as your wheels look like the bottom angle, and your lugs look like the top angle, not the top round seat, and the threads fit, you should be in business.

Archived