LegacyGT.com

Is the Cobb's Accessport a waste of money?

XLeezardx

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another smog place will approve? The car will still have acceptable emissions because it is new, so any other shop will okay it?

does any state actually hook a sniffer up to your car?

here in PA since its an OBD2 vehicle they just check the gas cap, and hook the scanner up.

CT doesn't do it with AWD cars. They do hook it up to a sniffer on anything pre-'96, and I believe they run dynos on 2WD cars no matter what the year.
When Chuck Norris was born, the only person who cried was the doctor. Never slap Chuck Norris. - E.J.S.

• 2 months later...
2005garnet: On the PC/Mac issue. All the new Macbook/ Pros are Intel processors, you can load WinXP either with Bootcamp in dual boot, or use Parrallels to run Windows in a window inside OSX with little or no performance hit. So you get the best of both.

• 10 months later...

So... With a new Tactrix Openport cable susposedly coming in June for CANbus cars. Do you think it would better to get tactrix cable or AP V2?

Does anyone know if the new Tactrix Openport 2.0 now support real time tuning/maps?

I bought my AP V2 for the new car and one for the 07 STI. I think it was a good investment and so far, been happy with my AP's. I'm not into open source tuning and don't feel the need to either. Unless you want to do your own tuning, the AP is a great way to go. There's a lot of R&D that goes into them, and I personally prefer that safety net.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Well... I already bought a AP V2!

The closest suby tuner to me only tunes with open sauce. AP is smaller and I don't have to carry around a laptop. However, will I be leaving anything on the table going either route?

Is one option that much better to tune with(assuming that Openport get real time tuning/maps)?

Well... I already bought a AP V2!

The closest suby tuner to me only tunes with open sauce. AP is smaller and I don't have to carry around a laptop. However, will I be leaving anything on the table going either route?

Is one option that much better to tune with (assuming that Openport get real time tuning/maps)?

It depends on the tuner. You can have an equally good tune either way. Assuming Engenuity gets real time tuning/maps it will be equally as easy for the tuner to tune the car either way. Most professional tuners prefer AP to tune with for a number of reasons. If you can find a professional tuner that will tune using open source I wouldn't hesitate to go that way. If you got to the open source tuner I'm pretty sure you can upload the open source map on the car, (or have it saved to a USB chip from the tuner) convert it to AP format and then upload it to your AP.

The AP is for those WITH money and less time.

Not true opensource actually flashes faster and there are vendors who also offer staged mapping as well. Just because you have money to waste doesn't mean you should.

So... With a new Tactrix Openport cable susposedly coming in June for CANbus cars. Do you think it would better to get tactrix cable or AP V2?

Does anyone know if the new Tactrix Openport 2.0 now support real time tuning/maps?

Tactrix cable is a better route as long as you have a laptop. Will do the exact thing as the AP only cheaper. Only advantage the AP has is realtime flashing for tuning. Besides that it only takes about 1 min or so to flash a new rom via opensopurce. If your not tuning it really is a no brainer. Realtime/Ram tuning is in the future but no the new cable will not implemet this.

Not true opensource actually flashes faster and there are vendors who also offer staged mapping as well. Just because you have money to waste doesn't mean you should.

You have to know what you're doing and take more risk to use a laptop (IMO). When you buy an AP, they ship it to you, you plug it in, and you're done. How the h3ll is a laptop route gonna be faster?!

Ive been there and done that. I used to own an accessport, its very nice simple and safe tool for beginners or people who just dont mess with thier ECU alot. Now im all opensource with taxtrix cable and this is the best choice for my preference.

You have to know what you're doing and take more risk to use a laptop (IMO). When you buy an AP, they ship it to you, you plug it in, and you're done. How the h3ll is a laptop route gonna be faster?!

Honestly you would have to try it to understand. It really is pretty much the same procedure as the AP.

^ I dream of having a CarPC with a tactrix cable always hooked to the OBDII port. Never have to fiddle with wires, a laptop or AP and changing the map would always just be a flew clicks a way. The only problem I see is that I'd like get the new one and use the display as a gauge cluster for boost, EGT etc. and there is only one OBDII port. I think it would just be ubber-cool to have the ability to tune self-contained(cant think of the right word) in the car.

^ I dream of having a CarPC with a tactrix cable always hooked to the OBDII port. Never have to fiddle with wires, a laptop or AP and changing the map would always just be a flew clicks a way. The only problem I see is that I'd like get the new one and use the display as a gauge cluster for boost, EGT etc. and there is only one OBDII port. I think it would just be ubber-cool to have the ability to tune self-contained(cant think of the right word) in the car.

ya, 2 yrs ago and $1500 later.... never got it to work right and scrapped the project. :rolleyes: it's a good IDEA, but much harder to have it actually work. Boot time and battery drain to keep the stupid thing going for your quick stops was just too much of a hassle.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

i just ordered my AP v2 ill let you know how it goes...its nice having the warrenty and if anything goes wrong i can flash it back to stock map :-D

Warranty covers the AP unit and you can also flash back to the original stock map unlike the first AP.

Archived