LegacyGT.com

Is the Cobb's Accessport a waste of money?

XLeezardx

It's funny how your average legacy owner has no balls when it comes to mods. Stop drinking the kool-aid and parroting everything you read on this board.

The open source tools are IDENTICAL to the access port. They're touching the same damn things in the same damn ways. If you get one of the off-the-shelf free maps available, you're going to get the same thing as you would with an Access Port, but for 1/10 the price.

If you don't want to fiddle with it, you don't have to. Enginuity happens to have the functionality of Street Tuner built in (for free), but you don't have to use it. You can just use ECUFlash to load an off the shelf map (or one of the e-maps you can buy from $25 from whatever tuner whose name I can't think of).

Well Serendipity I certainly agree with you to a point. A tune from an A/P, ECUtek, Enginuity etc. will all yield the same results as the data altered is the same. For anyone who believes that your choice in engine management will have an impact on the overall tune I know of another forum that you might like to join: http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum//

Where I don't agree with you is your statement of the OpenSource tools being identical to the A/P. This is very obviously not the case. Enginuity does not currently offer real-time tuning and flashing, however Cobb does. It may be just around the corner that Enginuity offers this feature, but they don't have it YET. There is also no open source tools that include a convenient device to carry and load maps with. I find it cumbersome to carry a laptop in the car with me at all times just in case I want to change maps. Cobb offers a unique peice of hardware just for that challenge and it works great.

I've owned an A/P and I feel it is the best ECU re-mapping solution currently available for Subarus given the features and support that it has. I must also admit that I'm currently running an Enginuity stage 1 reflash. Currently I don't have a need for all of the extra features the A/P offers and I spent a whopping $90 on a cable to get the same end result as a Cobb Stage 1 reflash.

There are plenty of highly regarded tuners reflashing with Enginuity and ECUflash these days and there is no reason not to consider this as an option, especially if you don't need the bells and whistles the A/P offers and/or you want to save a few bucks.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Actually, people do share their ROMs. If you go to enginuity.org and look through their tuning forum, people will post their log AND their ROM when asking for advice.

The reason is simple. To properly analyze a log, you need to see the ROM.

I don't think there are as many LGT owners using opensource as there are WRX owners.

I see it this way, if you have someone in your area that is willing to tune using the open source stuff, or if you are confident that you can do it yourself, by all means buy the cable and save the money.

But if you are not comfortable with tuning it yourself and no tuner in your area will touch open source, get an AP and run an OTS map, e-tune map or find a tuner who will tune the AP, most will.

Super JDM part out: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65039

PM me an offer!

This thread has me biting my fingernails on what to do...argh! I like to play it safe, so I'll probably end up with the AP. My wife would be pissed if I screwed up my car doing something stupid.

Check out Dominic's site:

http://www.getadomtune.com/index_files/Page433.htm. Bottom left corner (Internet tune)

Pay $80 for the cable (+ shipping) and have him do an e-tune for $30. Send him logs and let him tweak it to your car.

He is a well respected tuner with experience tuning Subarus, is active on the open source boards and a member here (imprezarsx - 06 LGT.) He also has a stage 1 and a couple of stage 2 base maps over at osecuroms.org

With the AP, is there any record of it having been used once it's set back to stock? Can they tell if you've been changing maps for, say, warranty issues?
When Chuck Norris was born, the only person who cried was the doctor. Never slap Chuck Norris. - E.J.S.

With the AP, is there any record of it having been used once it's set back to stock? Can they tell if you've been changing maps for, say, warranty issues?

I was very curious of this myself. How does that work out? Also, if anyone has any info., is smog pretty easy after re-flashing to stock while retaining aftermarket exhaust?

Here is a REALLY dumb question. I have a Win XP laptop (one of the first Win XP loaded computers, I think we bought it in 2001). Anyways, I am going to be getting a Mac soon. Do any of these open source programs work for a mac and do any of the cables work through a USB port? Are computers still even coming with serial ports? Should I just keep my old laptop if I ever want to do tuning/dataloging myself?

no, you will NOT pass smog if you reflash back to stock!

your car will throw either a p0420 or a p2096 code for catalyst efficiency if you do.

just smog somewhere other then your dealership and leave the stage 2 map on the car.

Another smog place will approve? The car will still have acceptable emissions because it is new, so any other shop will okay it?

I was very curious of this myself. How does that work out? Also, if anyone has any info., is smog pretty easy after re-flashing to stock while retaining aftermarket exhaust?

The AP saves the original program onto itself, and so when you install it loads it back.

Unless you give the dealership a reason to suspect something I dont think they'll notice. Hell even if you do give them a reason i think to find out they'd spend more time than they would like to anyway.

I think the guy says he'd get CELs is because he is stage 2 or so... and is missing some cats.

If you are stock and flash to stage 1, then flashed back to stock in order to do smog i dont see why you would fail.

car for sale. PM me!

Archived