LegacyGT.com

Custom exhaust in the works... and a pic request

Well, progress is about to be made...

I sold my truck, and am looking to finish and install the exhaust in the near future. Hopefully the remaining parts will be ordered this week.

I just finished taking some measurements regarding those 7" double-walled tips in the Legacy GT sedan's cutouts, and I will be ready to order later this week. I am pretty sure that the tips will be long enough, without the muffler body coming in contact with the inside of the bumper cover, or the metal structure behind it.

The other option that I am thinking of, is mild stainless muffler bodies, and separate tips... something like a pair of 12226 2.5" offset non-polished stainless mufflers, and a pair of 35127 tips, 4" round double-wall, angle cut, 2.25 inlet.

my only question, is if those 4 parts cost more or less than the pair of ready-made 14829s... and I have already posed that question to SUBBROS, the man with the Magnaflow hook-up.

The Megan Racing y-pipe ends in 2 - 2.5" ID pipes with flanges, and all the Magnaflow double-wall tips are all 2.25" inlet... so a reduction is going to have to happen somewhere, either just before, or just after the muffler body.

So it is either a pair of these:

http://www.performancepeddler.com/images/Magnaflow/14829.jpg

OR

A pair of EACH of these:

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/parts/12226.jpg

and

http://www.performancepeddler.com/images/Magnaflow/35127.jpg

either way, a pipe bend and flange is going to have to be installed at the front of the mufflers to join them to the y-pipe flanges... so a reduction could happen there, or with the 2.5 inch mufflers, just between the muffler and the separate 2.25" tip inlet.

I would probably leave the first option polished, while the second option would certainly get painted black.

As of now, I am still leaning toward the first option, the polished muffler/tip combo, athough the fit could be *slightly* tight. The cutouts on the Legacy GT are very nearly 7" deep, to the metal bulkhead behind the bumper.

What do you guys think? has anyone mounted one of the "package" magnaflow muffler and tip setup onto a Legacy GT?

PS. The existing mufflers that are under there now are missing a rubber hanger on the driver' side, and the passenger's side muffler is missing it's metal hanger arm. both are the outboard hangers, just behind the rear wheel wells, and both mufflers are hanging only by the inboard hangers just behind the bumper cover...

The hanger arms are obviously going to newly installed on the new mufflers, but do you guys think that getting 5 new urethane hanger isolators is worth while, or are rubber hangers just fine, and only replace the one rubber hanger that is missing?

Kartboy has these for $38: (there would be five for a Legacy kit.)

http://www.allwheelengineering.com/basket/images_large/kartboy/KB-011.jpg

Cobb has similar blue ones at 10.75, each. (five would be 53.75)

OK....

Update.

Mufflers have been ordered. The Magnaflow 14829 double-walled tip, fully polished mufflers. Thanks to SUBBROS for a great price and help getting these mufflers.

The muffler shop has taken a look at installing the Megan racing products, and the mufflers. should not be a problem. They even have a scrap stainless flange with a short 3-4" length of stainless pipe, that he may use to weld to the stock mid-pipe, to re-align and mate to the MR resonator pipe (non-flex) and backward. Otherwise very straightforward.

Now, the only thing is to fabricate the muffler hangers, and the pipe connections from the muffler inlets to the y-pipe's flanges, the short 4-6 inches to complete the axle-back sections.

He however can't or can't easily get ahold of stainless pipe. (which I find more than a bit odd, for a muffler shop...) and a couple of other supply parts in stainless steel, so I am left to buy them, and Verocious Motorsports online has what I need, albeit at a price.

But I have a few questions, if anyone can answer.

1: pipe bends. I need two pipe bends to mate the magnaflow mufflers to the Y-pipe. can anyone who has the MR mufflers verify that there is just one 45-degree bend in the the pipe between the muffler and the flange to the Y-pipe? I plan on getting two 45-degree stainless bends, and the exhaust installer can cut and weld them to the mufflers, and 2-2.5" flanges, which I also need to buy.

http://shopping.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=749&c=606473&h=f024ea5ed519538fb32c

2: Hanger rods... I have new urethane isolators on the way, and while I am buying all of this, I want to get four hanger rods, also in stainless, but I am not sure what diameter... 3/8ths inch, or 1/2 inch? 9-inches long, with a 90-degree bend at the end, I figure should be able to be bent and formed to hang the magnaflows properly.

http://shopping.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=2012&c=606473&h=f128a9183a81fe5b4d5a

These are the final parts I need to order, (also if anyone has a more affordable source for these parts, I am all ears... this stuff is going to cost nearly $150 from Verocious... :frown: )

If anyone has the stats on the MR muffler's connection pipes (for reference) or happen to know what diameter the hangers are... I would be appreciative.

The is only 1 roughly 45* bend on each of the pipes from the muffler to the MR y-pipe. For mandrel bends and stainless tubing, I've used these guys: http://store.racing-solutions.org/ before and was satisfied with both pricing and quality. If you are trying to save a few bucks, don't order 2 separate 45* bends, just get a 180* bend and have the muffler shop section it to get the bends you need. Should run you less than $50 shipped for all the stuff you need.

well,

I have everything ordered.

Mufflers should arrive tomorrow, also the urethane hangers, and the rest of the supplies later this week.

unfortunately, with four 1/2 inch hanger rods, and two laser-cut stainless flanges (flanges were the most expensive pieces), the supplies bill was pretty high. But all-stainless means lifetime-use. I hope I don't have to buy that stuff again.

Thanks for the link, though, boostjunkie. The stainless bends were less expensive at racing solutions than verocious motorsports.

hopefully should be able to bring this in to the exhaust fabricator to hang the exhaust, and fabricate the last bits late this week, or early next week.

I will post pics as parts arrive, and of course when completed.

I am starting to see why cat-backs are so expensive. They would be even more expensive if people had to buy each component at retail, and ship it all. I've spent about as much as the MR kit, and if I hadn't gotten some SMOKIN' deals, I would have spent about as much as the SPT Cat-back retails for.

well...

Got the 4 stainless hanger rods, and 2 stainless laser cut flanges from Voracious Motorsports today. Also received the Cobb Urethane hangers from another member here, brother lfcorrea.

Just one more package to arrive, the stainless 45-degree bends from Columbia River Mandrel Bending/racing-solutions.com

As soon as they arrive, I'll be able to schedule some lift time to get this all buttoned up.

More pictures will follow, and a sound clip, if I can find a way to digitally record one, before, and after. I don't have much for AV capture...

If Magnaflow ever comes out with a CBE for the Legacy GT, I highly doubt it will be as nice as this one that I am building. Truly first class.

http://web.mac.com/mkutzli/iWeb/Site/Legacy%20GT%20Cat-back%20Exhaust%20project_files/IM000265.jpg

The fabricated bits to tie the mufflers to the y-pipe may not be polished like the rest that is pictured, but I can probably polish them, or blackout paint them, and it isn't that big of a deal. and it will hopefully sound fantastic, and uncork that part of the exhaust system.

Eventually, I'll have to move forward... from the mid-pipe flange... maybe a shorty downpipe, or some equal-length headers and a twin-scroll turbo :D ... but this Cat-back will probably be enough for a while.

If it cuts the droning and noise on the highway, while waking up the turbo's response a bit, it will be worth it.

High-quality exhaust, it's FAN-TASTIC!

Easily less than half as loud. Probably barely louder than stock, in terms of dB; but I don't remember what stock sounds like. (and I bought my car modded. and loud.)

The boxer rumble has changed from a diesel tractor sound to a "basso-profundo" low burble. Almost sub-sonic it is so low, but not loud. just sort of present. Not obtrusive, but definitely not stock. No stock car has a rumble that low that I have ever heard.

The rasp and the popping on deceleration is gone. under throttle it just growls. It is definitely not restricted, but it also is not obnoxious, even under heavy throttle. The exhaust never sounds constrained or choked. it sounds subdued at idle and cruising speed without being gagged or muted.

I can still hear the exhaust at highway speed, but rain, the tires, the windsheild wipers, and pavement defects all can be heard over the it. Not so before. I can listen to the radio at half the level I used to, and hear it clearly. I noticed this morning that I "tuned out" the little remaining exhaust sound in the cabin. I have never been able to "tune out" the exhaust noise in this car before.

Construction-wise, it went well, but not ultra-easy. The fabricator bolted the 3" flange of the MR pipe directly to the flange on the catalyst mid-pipe. He said there is just a fraction of gasket coverage between the two flanges. However, he wants to fix it next week, by cutting off the stock flange on the mid-pipe, expanding the pipe, and welding on a 3" flange to mate directly to the MR flange, and adjust the clearance with the heat sheild. It is close right now, but not physically in contact.

The flange at the front of the y-pipe is also close to the driveshaft, but he heated and lowered the frame-mounted hanger, to gain clearance there. The urethane isolator should keep it firmly in place, and not contacting the driveshaft. They should also keep the mufflers firmly in place. With the stainless rod that I bought, with the oe-style nub on the end, the hanger isolators won't be lost again, either.

The mufflers work very well, and the passenger's side was easier for the fabricator to fit, but the driver's side evidently was a BEAST. Pretty much entirely because the mufflers that I chose were center inlet, not offset inlet. If they had been offset inlet, like the MR mufflers are, it would have been easier. With some cutting and re-welding the 45-degree bends I provided, he did get it to fit and work. For someone looking to replicate this, I might suggest offset-in, center out mufflers, and then add tips to that. It might save headaches and fabrication costs.

The mufflers look FANTASTIC under the car. Fully polished, with 4" double-walled tips tucked into the cutouts. they may not be even vertically to the millimeter, but they are DAMN close. and MUCH closer than the old setup was, and the tips are placed perfectly horizontally aft into the bumper cover. and the hangers are out of view, above the mufflers. I will get pics.

The weather SUCKS here today, so the car is already filthy again, and not hospitable to stand outside and take pictures. But I will get some. I'll try to get some snaps of it next week on the hoist, or whenever I take it in for that final flange work.

The only down-side... The cost. I was hoping to do this on "the inexpensive," but not "the cheap". All stainless parts, urethane hangers, etc. It came up to about 925$ after all is said and done. Not so inexpensive, but still worth it IMHO, and still not the most expensive option on the market.

525$ of that are the major pipes and mufflers, including three shipping charges.

200$ for two 2.5" mandrel bent stainless 45-degree pieces, and two 2.5"ID stainless flanges, and four stainless 1/2"x9" right-angle hanger rods, and 5 COBB urethane hanger isolators.

200$ labor, gaskets, bolts and sales tax to fabricate the muffler connections and install the system.

Obviously, there are ways to cut some of that, and had it been a kit, I could have probably installed it myself. Rubber hangers can be re-used, and mild steel flanges or hanger rods, etc. but I want to do this stuff only once.

But this setup is now pretty much set, and once the catalyst pipe is expanded to meet the new pipework, the Cat-back section will be finished; and it will very likely last the life of the car, or longer. It is quiet and civilized, and mostly polished, (the fabbed muffler lead pipes aren't polished, but are painted with aluminum heat-resistant paint.) Someday, a 3" high-flow catted down-pipe might be installed, but not in the near future, unless I can get one nearly free.

It is also bound to be capable of handling some serious horsepower, if the parts further forward were also modified, like said full 3" Downpipe, and an aftermarket turbo and engine tuning. This CBE is not going to be a bottleneck well beyond stage 2 or fully custom tuning.

sorry that it has taken so long... I took some this weekend, and finally got them posted. Below is a link to the page, and a couple highlight pics.

Link

http://web.mac.com/mkutzli/iWeb/Site/Legacy%20GT%20Exhaust%20finished_files/IM000289.jpg

http://web.mac.com/mkutzli/iWeb/Site/Legacy%20GT%20Exhaust%20finished_files/IM000295.jpg

http://web.mac.com/mkutzli/iWeb/Site/Legacy%20GT%20Exhaust%20finished_files/IM000294.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived