LegacyGT.com

Custom exhaust in the works... and a pic request

Well,

I am finally in the process of assembling some exhaust parts to make a CBE for my car.

What I have:

stock headers -> invidia up-pipe -> stock turbo -> hogzaust-brand gutted downpipe -> stock third catalyst -> de-resonator'd stock y-pipe -> Flowtech mufflers and tips. With a TDC Stage 2 91-octane standard ECU tune via AP v.1

It is very loud, very mean, and alternates from being cool sometimes to being obnoxious at other times. The previous owner liked it, and I can understand why. However, I don't think he drove as many highway miles at 65+ mph as I do. this thing drones like crazy at that speed.

What I am working on, after the third catalyst donut joint: (a real 3" catted DP may be installed someday in the future...)

-Megan Racing resonator pipe (second hand, already have it, smokin' deal!)

-Megan Racing Y-split pipe (special arrangement/second-hand. appropriate price, just purchased.)

-Magnaflow Mufflers, (pair of 14829, planning to buy through SUBBROS when I sell my truck, or otherwise find a bit more cash, hopefully in a matter of weeks. Smokin' deal quoted.)

Then, I will have a local, reputable muffler shop fabricate some stainless bends to connect the input of the mufflers to the MR y-pipe flanges, and weld hangers to the mufflers, and finish the install.

All said and done, with labor at the exhaust shop, this is looking to cost less than, or just around 600$, for a 3" 304 stainless CBE, with a resonator, and very nice mufflers, properly fitted and installed. I am hoping it will be much more civilized at speed, and if it still has a rumble at idle, and a bit of a bite on sharp throttle, that is fine by me. As long as it doesn't drone at highway speed, and fades into the background a bit on the highway.

I am hoping that the exhaust shop will, and I am going to ask that they do set the muffler placement, and fit the right and left evenly, and weld hangers to the tops of the mufflers (out of view behind the bumper cover), rather than the bottoms (in view), before they set the welds to connect the mufflers to the fitted y-pipe. Anyone have any forseen problems with that?

A couple of other questions for people to chime in on... Does anyone have these mufflers installed?

http://www.performancepeddler.com/images/Magnaflow/14829.jpg

Pictures of this muffler/tip on a Legacy is VERY welcomed.

it has a 7" slanted double-walled exhaust tip, just to confirm that that should be long enough for proper placement with the sedan rear bumper cutouts, right?

For those with magnaflow mufflers, is anyone dissappointed? I haven't really heard any dissappointment, so I have positive expectations. paired with MR's 4" diameter resonator, I am hoping that two magnaflows will be a good balance between aggressive sound, and flow, and civilized noise levels.

Input or reaction is welcomed, what do you guys think? And should I paint the axle-back parts black, (leaving tip polished) or leave the mufflers nice and shiny?

do you have pixs of all these parts? I'd love to see them

. and ur plan sounds pretty damn good and pretty solid. 600 sounds like a butt load though. I had a guy weld in my ypipe for my elextric exhaust cutout for 35 dollars....2 cuts 2 welds

most of the cost is the pre-fabricated parts, and that is with some good deals.

There is about an 1-1.5 hours of labor (75$/per) figured in there, since the magnaflows aren't pre-hung or fitted. Labor includes installation. I would do that myself, if it didn't require welding and fabrication. If this were fitted right out of the box, it would probably cost at least $800 for new parts, properly pre-hung, not counting shipping or any professional labor.

The MR stuff is really well made, by the looks of the resonator pipe. I am looking forward to the y-pipe. This stuff looks like a water-main. it is huge.

The mufflers are not inexpensive, either, but SUBBROS has the hookup for magnaflow. I like them better than the MR ones, single tip vs. double, and the magnaflows look to be commensurately well made. I certainly hope they sound as good as they look.

I will take some pics of the MR pieces when I get the y-pipe shortly... I haven't ordered the mufflers just yet, still assembling a bit more cash for those.

I believe those mufflers are the same as my Lachute cans (which use magnaflow mufflers). Assuming you can mimic what Lachute did as far as the hangers are concerned, then they will fit perfectly. They fill out the cutout very nicely and won't rub the bumber (again, assuming its done correctly).

I just did my exhuast have a PDE coated up and a Crucial coated shorty DP. I went all Stainless steel and Mandrel bend. From the DP I ran 3" into SS HI flow cat, then to a SS 3" borla XR1 muffler as resanator back to a Y, Then to dual 2.25" SS magnaflow mufflers with 4" oval magnaflow SS tips. I have a wagon and it has a nice rumble at idle. Not too much just enough to notice. At WOT it's a muted power. Sort of like a M5 or a vette it's a refined sound not like does fart can you hear going by. It doesn't scream look at me but is mean. The best part is no droning why cruising just a distant rumble. I'll try to get with my friend and make a sound clip. Hope that helps.

175442(1).thumb.JPG.414b848f5c35eeb226b8232c404b3ad4.JPG

175833(1).thumb.JPG.546dcd88d8e5ee62ebafe13b6115b7b7.JPG

175849(1).thumb.JPG.04097aaff3e4433603e5c22fd437b216.JPG

180207(1).thumb.JPG.d4d4e3f67c46ec22d34b6a33f29ac303.JPG

180349(1).thumb.JPG.3e4ea7bd003b5e71b213f46c100fe487.JPG

180508(1).thumb.JPG.49b458b497eecfaba8d99eee96011f66.JPG

180558(1).thumb.JPG.1423ac4874a30731a35e4969456709cd.JPG

180940(1).thumb.JPG.b5ae09a906f98fbb652c1f9ca4ac9866.JPG

181101(1).thumb.JPG.ce217bc0aa4a5690e4772a2574f19e99.JPG

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Its just the axle-back, so factory cats and resonator are intact. I really like the look, it fills in the cutout nicely. For me, the sound is great; has a nice boxer rumble but nothing obnoxious. Overall, I think magaflow has a nice sound in general. I'll try to get a pic of them on the car, but I'm almost certain its what you have pictured above; atleast it looks identical and also has the magnaflow branding. Lachute uses the magnaflow mufflers (atleast the current version), and makes the appropriate adjusments to make it a direct bolt on.

I have stock headers and UP, stock gutted DP, third cat delete, stock resonator with custom 2.25 Y pipes back to Magnaflow mufflers. My car is very quiet, if you are outside of it, you can barely tell when revving it that its not stock, inside the car it sounds louder. When there is a load on it such as cruising by, you can here some boxer rumble from outside, but not too much. Have never heard my car from the outside at any kind of speed or WOT. BTW go black and never go back, :lol:.

1420450807_newexhaust008(Large).thumb.jpg.f72abcd8a35bb352605b23e611d2d503.jpg

481979285_newexhaust011(Large).thumb.jpg.30cc34d45e5d9559cd141ebe404196ea.jpg

Y.JPG.e610ba78aa531b4807d23f8e7efcd591.JPG

253161492_newexhaust002(Large).thumb.jpg.2f88b0709be0f0f83f13bd5fb38e8b64.jpg

769849415_newexhaust014(Large).thumb.jpg.35316c984a2f33679b29032c5f8745c8.jpg

Superhawk, that looks FAN-FREAKIN'-TASTIC. I want your wingless trunk lid, too. (to put a lip-style spoiler on...)

Are those mufflers with tips welded to them after purchase, or did they come pre-assembled? Stainless or aluminized steel?

The black looks fantastic... the Megan Racing parts, and the Magnaflows are 304 stainless, and polished, but I am considering hitting them with some paint, and leaving the tips polished when they get ordered. Part of me hates to cover such nicely polished parts, but that blackout looks fantastic. If the parts were untreated stainless, I would be planning on black right out of the shipping box.

Any idea the measurement from the back of the muffler to the end of the tip, at it's longest? The muffler I pictured at the top is about 7", according to Magnaflow. I wonder if that will be a tad too long, or about right.

SGT, I might consider your offer with the mufflers, if they are stainless, but those double-walled, round, angled tips are calling to me with their siren song... I would have to change to those tips... and probably the mounting flange point, since the MR y-pipe is not the same dimensions as the OE y-pipe. it is just a matter of whether it is less expensive to buy yours, and pay to change them, or buy new from SUBBROS at a very significant discount, with the tips already in place.

BAHPSH... you are confusing me, man... :lol:

People say the Magnaflows are reasonably quiet, and sound good, and you talk about Megan Racing loud.

The system I am building is a hybrid between the two, Megan Racing resonator and y-pipe, and Magnaflow mufflers... Now I have no idea if it is going to be loud or quiet... :D

And, yes, removing the stock resonator will make it louder. Changing the mufflers will make it as loud as you would ever want. If you really want, I'll consider sending you my de-resonator-ed stock y pipe, and maybe even the flow-tech mufflers, if you want them. We can discuss price once the stuff is off my car... which may be a little while, but sometime soon. I'll see if there is any way I can record it, but i am sure I won't be able to do it justice. You feel this exhaust in your chest, at idle, just standing next to the car. You hear it inside the car. Sometimes a bit too much. You DEFINITELY hear it outside the car. For blocks in town, and probably half a mile radius behind the car in rural areas. It resonates and even pops and sputters a bit on deceleration.

I am hoping to go the other direction from what I have, for civilized but not stock-meek. A bit of a growl or a bite is fine, no droning or obnoxiousness, and to look like Superhawk's car.

Gotta love any handle that refers to Honda Hawk or Superhawk motorcycles. (I have a Hawk GT, and love it.)

I beleive the part number Magnaflow muffler I used was 11225, no tips came with this muffler. The tips I searched forever to find, I originally wanted duals but had no luck finding them, I did this right b4 word about the Megan exhaust. I ended up finding the tips on ebay after a long search. I used a stainless steel paint in black from Eastwood. Iwanna, I don't know if 7 inches is too long but I am thinking it may be, my guess is that they would stick out about 1-2 inches beyond the bumper. We just got over a foot of snow so I am not crawling under my car :p.

Yup.

Was sitting on the porch when I got home from work.

Looks fantastic. and HUGE. the downspouts on my house are smaller, I think!

The mufflers still need to be ordered, due to cash constraints, but hopefully soon.

Superhawk... That is ok, if 7" is a tad too long... the mufflers will need to be hung properly, and can at that point, hopefully be set far enough forward for the tip to sit correctly in the cutout, vertically, side to side, and fore/aft. I would be on the wrong end of the stick, if the tips were too short, and unfortunately buried in the bumper cutouts.

BTW, how is the stainless steel paint holding up?

BTW, Boostjunkie, what size bolts does this setup usually use? I'll swing by the huge hardware store and see if I can find some stainless hardened bolts, washers, and nuts. The gaskets, i may have to actually get from the exhaust shop when I have the mufflers fitted.

Here are some VERY quick pictures of the resonator and y-pipe, both Megan Racing products, and bigger that I would have thought.

http://web.mac.com/mkutzli/iWeb/Site/Legacy%20GT%20Catback_files/IM000260.jpg

http://web.mac.com/mkutzli/iWeb/Site/Legacy%20GT%20Catback_files/IM000264.jpg

Itsme and Superhawk- love the DIY approach. I find much more here than on the WRX boards (where I belong). Thanks for proving I'm not crazy!

Itsme- did you weld that all yourself?

Oh no. I don't have a TIG welder. I went to a place call Yimi motorsport and had the work done. We have to DIY because most of our option are over priced. You should see my DIY FMIC thread. I'm almost finish.;)

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Archived