LegacyGT.com

Stop me? Or encourage me?

What's your purchase recommendation?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What's your purchase recommendation?

• Keep the '05 GRP LGT Ltd
    • The Fit is go! (Get the Fit and go sip gas)
    • Have you considered... (post optional recommendation below)

I need some words of wisdom from my LGT bros...as Legacy fans AND as automotive enthusiasts.

I'm strongly considering putting my 2005 GRP LGT Limited up for sale/eBay and replacing it with a Honda Fit.

Reasons:

• Cheaper loan will lower the monthly payment and increase monthly disposable income for other things.
  • ~20 MPG versus ~32 MPG
  • I don't get the chance to autocross the LGT (once since I've owned it) or to run it in extreme weather, so I don't really need, or get to use it to its full potential.
  • ~20 MPG versus ~32 MPG

I made a BAD mistake trading in my show truck, a 2002 Harley-Davidson Edition Ford F150 (~400 whp) when I bought the LGT, however, and I don't want to regret the sale of the LGT, despite how it seems to be the sensible thing to do.

So should I stay with this:

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/8125/img2358cr2.th.jpg

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/8944/img2302ls3.th.jpg

...or go to this?

http://www.fitfreak.net/images/fit_dynamite.jpg

http://www.fitfreak.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10005/normal_wp01_1024.jpg

Help?!?

If you want the Fit then get it. Why you would want the fit is a mystery to me though....

See the "Reasons" I listed above plus here are some other things I've seen and thought about:

Nevertheless, the Fit raises the bar for small-car expectations. Not only is it endowed with an impressive array of standard features and an upscale interior, but its dynamics rival the responses of cars with much fancier pedigrees and price tags. As an example, the Fit that ran away with our econocar comparo last year posted a lane-change number — 71.4 mph — that edges the best run by the Ferrari F430 Spider F1 we tested last June.

But we kept going back to the Fit Sport. At first you want to drive it because it looks neat. Then, after utilizing its fantastically thought-out interior, you respect it for its usability. But in the end, it’s the driving that wins you over, with sharp handling, an excellent gearbox, proper heel-and-toe pedal placement and a top-notch interior. It’s also the most fun to drive.

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5362/fitaccoladesawardspl3.png

Just some data for further consideration...

Get it if you want it, no need to break out the C&D adds (anything badged Honda would get top honors-If the Pinto were a Honda rather than Ford they'd rave about it).

It looks cute, couple of mods and you'd be draggin Mini's to see who can break 17sec in the 1/4. ;)

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

The main reason I love my car:

It makes going to work enjoyable. I don't want to go to work, but I want to drive there. I can have a point A to point B car any day, but what the heck do you work for?

If you think you will enjoy driving the fit to work every day, then get it. But I do agree that taking a hit on the LGT will take awhile to make up on the gas savings of the Honda.

Get it if you want it, no need to break out the C&D adds (anything badged Honda would get top honors-If the Pinto were a Honda rather than Ford they'd rave about it).

VERY well stated! I've noticed that's so true for anything with a Honda or a BMW badge, I'm afraid! For cryin' out loud, C&D even wrote an article about the Fit Automatic to show that they didn't hate its slushbox (5AT). I don't ever recall having seen them say one positive thing about any automatic.

It looks cute, couple of mods and you'd be draggin Mini's to see who can break 17sec in the 1/4. ;)

HAHAHAHAHA!

The automotive periodical quotes and awards were just a sample, and that's part of what bothers me about this potential move.

Am I just a product of high gas prices combined with an overwhelming inundation of positive reviews for the Honda?

Unlike a lot of the "A vs. B" polls/questions I've seen posted on here, I do not have my mind made up. I could not be any more perfectly balanced atop this fence. My head is spinning... :spin:

Ha Ha Ha +1 ^

I personally would stay with the LGT. For me i like not having a million of the same car on the road. I also like that some dumb ass in a civic dosent try to race me a every light (own a honda anything and you will understand). I like the fact that i know i am in a very very safe car and if the great awd cant help me save myself one day all my air bags will. There is also the power, i am willing to take a small hit on gas mileage for the zip when i need it. Also wait until something breaks on that honda, can you say bend over in the service dept.

:dm: 2007 DGM LGT :dm:

:icon_twis 2003 Suzuki SV650S :icon_twis

First tell us what mods are going to hit the classifieds and then we'll tell you whether you should keep it or trade it. ;)

Seriously, it's whatever you can afford. Although, seeing as how resale on the LGT seems tepid at best, and you'll probably be paying close to sticker for a Fit, I don't see a whole lot in the way of savings, even with the better MPG.

Well try to explain to your date that the Fit really is your car. Nuff said.

Trust Jedi Pimp to hit the nail on the head regarding some of the....intangibles. :lol::lol:

Plus, with the LGT, I at least get a primo valet parking spot <=25% of the time. With the Fit...???

Then this just came in: Prius Outdoes Hummer in Environmental Damage

That MPG savings argument just gets harder and harder to make doesn't it? A couple of you have brought this up and it's a great point.

ah, if it's all about savin $$$ & it'll end up being alot cheaper than go for it. Me personally, I'd get a civic instead but whatever floats your boat. I'll never knock anyone for tryin to keep more $$ in their pockets.
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

WTF with the Fit?

You are the third Legacy owner I've heard of who is considering the pos econobox.

Run the numbers. Unless you drive awful number of miles a year, the LGT costs only few hunderd $$$ a year.

When I ran the numbers between 2.5i vs. GT, I got something like $300 extra in yearly gas cost, assuming 15k miles. Pulling it out of my a** now, don't remember the details, but it was something like that.

How many miles per year do you drive?? If you drive a ton of miles and are looking at this switch as purely a cost-savings move, you'd be best of buying a used Civic or something instead of a new *anything*. You'll pay more in taxes on a new Fit than the difference will be in gas $$ for the LGT.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Reasons:

• Cheaper loan will lower the monthly payment and increase monthly disposable income for other things.

like I said, if this ^^ is your reason then go for it. I'll always support someone tryin to save a few bucks.

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

Trust Jedi Pimp to hit the nail on the head regarding some of the....intangibles. :lol::lol:

Plus, with the LGT, I at least get a primo valet parking spot <=25% of the time. With the Fit...???

Then this just came in: Prius Outdoes Hummer in Environmental Damage

That MPG savings argument just gets harder and harder to make doesn't it? A couple of you have brought this up and it's a great point.

What a BS article. Why do they figure the life of a Hummer is 300,000 miles, but the life of a Prius is 100,000 miles? I hate it when a-holes manipulate numbers just to try to prove a point. IMO, it completely invalidates every other point the author was trying to make.

How many miles per year do you drive?? If you drive a ton of miles and are looking at this switch as purely a cost-savings move, you'd be best of buying a used Civic or something instead of a new *anything*. You'll pay more in taxes on a new Fit than the difference will be in gas $$ for the LGT.

Maybe 12k a year. Not a lot.

The main $$$$ savings factors for consideration were

1) the monthly payment for a $28k car versus the monthly payment on a $16.5k car, and

2) the difference in MPG between the 2 cars

Offsetting arguments made by some folks here thus far:

1) the likelihood of having to kick in additional funds to offset the book value of the LGT (gawd, don't we HATE how this comes up all the time?)

2) MPG $$$$ differences take a while to be realized

Other points made:

• comparative drive-up appeal (chicks, better valet spots, coworkers, clients, etc.)
  • performance enthusiasm is lower for the Fit obviously

What else?

I need some words of wisdom from my LGT bros...as Legacy fans AND as automotive enthusiasts.

I'm strongly considering putting my 2005 GRP LGT Limited up for sale/eBay and replacing it with a Honda Fit.

Reasons:

• ~20 MPG versus ~32 MPG
  • I don't get the chance to autocross the LGT (once since I've owned it) or to run it in extreme weather, so I don't really need, or get to use it to its full potential.
  • ~20 MPG versus ~32 MPG

I made a BAD mistake trading in my show truck, a 2002 Harley-Davidson Edition Ford F150 (~400 whp) when I bought the LGT, however, and I don't want to regret the sale of the LGT, despite how it seems to be the sensible thing to do.

So should I stay with this:

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/8125/img2358cr2.th.jpg

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/8944/img2302ls3.th.jpg

...or go to this?

http://www.fitfreak.net/images/fit_dynamite.jpg

http://www.fitfreak.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10005/normal_wp01_1024.jpg

Help?!?

How about you tell me where you are right now so I can go there and smack some sense into you?

Was that clear enough for you?

Seriously, do what you think is best, but you will miss your LGT.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

Make a spreadsheet that includes:

• Monthly payment differences
  • Gas costs
  • Maintenance costs
  • Insurance costs

You will take a hit selling your Legacy.

Can you refinance your loan and get a lower monthly payment?

Do you own a home where you can pay the car off with a home equity line of credit?

The thing with monthly payments that people don't think about is that even though your payment amount is lowered you now have more of them as you have started a new loan.

The thing with monthly payments that people don't think about is that even though your payment amount is lowered you now have more of them as you have started a new loan.

Yup, that's the funniest thing.

VERY well stated! I've noticed that's so true for anything with a Honda or a BMW badge, I'm afraid! For cryin' out loud, C&D even wrote an article about the Fit Automatic to show that they didn't hate its slushbox (5AT). I don't ever recall having seen them say one positive thing about any automatic.

They also rated the Rx-8 on their 10 best list for 2004, 2005, 2006, whoops Nationwide recall (the motor blows up), didn't make it for 2007. :lol:

Needless to say I don't take alot of what C&D says to heart.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

What else?

What else? Safety - the Legacy is one of the safest cars on the road. The Fit is not. If you really want to save money you need to buy a used Honda, not a new one that is commanding MSRP and is hard to find. I would buy a used Mini Cooper S over a new Fit any day.

Archived