LegacyGT.com

Shell v-power gas?

The shell in my town only has 93 Oct V Power. I guess I shouldnt be putting 93 in my tank??? The only other options they have there is 87 and 89. I usually get Sunoco fuel but I was low last night.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only thing that matters is the octane rating...all gas is the same. I have one friend who owns a few Valero stations. Another has a oil and gas distributor and gas stations. They have both told me that all gas comes from the same place. Meaning, all gas in a given market will come from the same refinery and that the gas pumped out from there is simply 87 octance. When a gas station buys say 93 octance, they simply pour in something similar or equivelant to toulene to raise the octane in the pipeline. This back and forth of octane is flowing through the pipes...certain portion in the pipe may be 87, 89, 91, 93 so on. Gas is then off-loaded from a local access point into the trucks. When they fill your given truck up, it gets filled with what ever is coming out of the pipe at that time. So, you may have bought 93, but you may get 87. This is why sometimes we see a station out of a certain octance, because they simply aren't getting it when they fill there truck up. Which brings me back to my main point...that the gas at your local Texaco, Exxon, or Valero are all the same because they are getting their gas from the same refinery and/or access point. You don't have to believe me, but I tend to believe my friends as they are not known for lying to me.

The shell in my town only has 93 Oct V Power. I guess I shouldnt be putting 93 in my tank???...

Why?

I run Shell VPower 93 exclusively. Why would I put a lower grade fuel in? Subaru recommends premium fuel.

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

The only thing that matters is the octane rating...all gas is the same. I have one friend who owns a few Valero stations. Another has a oil and gas distributor and gas stations. They have both told me that all gas comes from the same place. Meaning, all gas in a given market will come from the same refinery and that the gas pumped out from there is simply 87 octance. When someone buys say 93 octance, they simply pour in something similar or equivelant to toulene to raise the octane in the pipeline. This back and forth of octane is flowing through the pipes...certain portion in the pipe may be 87, 89, 91, 93 so on. Gas is then off-loaded from a local access point into the trucks. When they fill your given truck up, it gets filled with what ever is coming out of the pipe at that time. So, you may have bought 93, but you may get 87. This is why sometimes we see a station out of a certain octance, because they simply aren't getting it when they fill there truck up. Which brings me back to my main point...that the gas at your local Texaco, Exxon, or Valero are all the same because they are getting their gas from the same refinery and/or access point. You don't have to believe me, but I tend to believe my friends as they are not known for lying to me.

I wouldn't believe everything your friends tell you. My car has been running flawlessly on Vpower 93. One day my car ran like shit and I happened to check the receipt--It seems I accidentally filled with 87. I highly doubt if I click 93 that I will get 87 "by chance".

I wouldn't believe everything your friends tell you. My car has been running flawlessly on Vpower 93. One day my car ran like shit and I happened to check the receipt--It seems I accidentally filled with 87. I highly doubt if I click 93 that I will get 87 "by chance".

You misunderstood me or I should've been more specific in my wording. My comments were referring to when a station buys gas...not a consumer at the pump. So, when I said you may get 87 octance when you bought 93,...I was referring to when a station buys there gas. I was by no means suggesting what you mentioned.

You misunderstood me or I should've been more specific in my wording. My comments were referring to when a station buys gas...not a consumer at the pump. So, when I said you may get 87 octance when you bought 93,...I was referring to when a station buys there gas. I was by no means suggesting what you mentioned.

i'm still a bit confused ...

I love my car ... basically.

The shell in my town only has 93 Oct V Power. I guess I shouldnt be putting 93 in my tank??? The only other options they have there is 87 and 89. I usually get Sunoco fuel but I was low last night.

Use premium.

The AKI varies by region due to fuel formulation, altitude and other factors.

Why?

I run Shell VPower 93 exclusively. Why would I put a lower grade fuel in? Subaru recommends premium fuel.

No Subaru reccomends 91 Octane. I consider that a low premium fuel. Someone here said that dont put anything but what Subaru reccomends in it, which is 91 octane.

No Subaru reccomends 91 Octane. I consider that a low premium fuel. Someone here said that dont put anything but what Subaru reccomends in it, which is 91 octane.

Oh wow, I never knew that. My gascap says premium so I always pumped our premium grade (93). We don't have 91 here, just 87, 89, and 93.

Tell you this......

Had BP in the tank when my tuner came to town. Was only able to hit 19.8psi without pulling any timing.

He asked what type of gas I had in the car & then told me Chevron or Shell only (which I normally do)

A fillup later & we were hitting 20.2 with no problem minutes later:):):)

Not bad for a 94* summer afternoon

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

i'm still a bit confused ...

When a gas station places an order for say...89 octane; they make the purchase. Now go back and read my original post. This gas station's truck that picks up there order of gas will go to said place where gas is offloaded. Whatever grade of gas that is in the pipeline at that time of filling the truck up is simply what they get. They don't always fillup the truck with the octane of gas that they just purchased.

Tell you this......

Had BP in the tank when my tuner came to town. Was only able to hit 19.8psi without pulling any timing.

He asked what type of gas I had in the car & then told me Chevron or Shell only (which I normally do)

A fillup later & we were hitting 20.2 with no problem minutes later:):):)

Not bad for a 94* summer afternoon

I don't argue your point but that's just an increase of .4psi. That could be due to numerous things such as old or bad gas in your tank, or maybe old or bad gas in the tank at the station from your last fillup.

Look, Subaru says use premium fuel with a minimum of 91 AKI. Formulations vary by region due to, and I repeat, regional fuel formulations and altitude.

:rtfm:

Look, Subaru says use premium fuel with a minimum of 91 AKI. Formulations vary by region due to, and I repeat, regional fuel formulations and altitude.

:rtfm:

I did RTFM, thats where I came up with the 91 Octane "reccomended" :rolleyes:

I did RTFM, thats where I came up with the 91 Octane "reccomended" :rolleyes:

You didn't RTFM properly. It says "minimum" and 91 is the minimum you will ever come across in Canada and the US. If I remember correctly, it says to use premium fuel with a minimum of 91 AKI. You will have to educate yourself about gasoline.

• 2 months later...

Archived