LegacyGT.com

Mini-rant

:rtfm: :rtfm: :rtfm: :rtfm: :rtfm:

Does no one read the manual anymore?

Overall, I'm impressed with the knowledge on this board, but I'm also frequently amazed by people asking questions like "what level octane fuel should I put in my car?"

Is it so hard to open the manual and see that it spells out clearly for you that 91 is the minimum required and that 87 octane may be used in "an emergency" but may negatively affect performance? And do these people not realize that the factory's idea of performance is significantly different than the enthusiasts?

I'm still all for helping these people ... but when did people become so stupid?

Ok ... end rant. I feel better. :)

dude, most people i talk to thru the day don't know what year their car is, what size engine it has or "what that little switchie thingie on top of the steery thing does and now i can't get my lights to shut off....."

dude, most people i talk to thru the day don't know what year their car is, what size engine it has or "what that little switchie thingie on top of the steery thing does and now i can't get my lights to shut off....."

i can't believe how many ppl have posted and had no idea of the purpose or function of the switch on top of the steering column, ridiculous.

It's not stupid, it's lazy. No, wait, it's stupid. You're in the car when you see the switchy thingy and there's a book within arm's reach that will explain it to you. That's a little quicker, easier and more definitive than asking on the internet. We give some good, helpful answers here when sufficiently provoked.

I haven't checked, but isn't there a sticker thingy at the fuel filler that tells you which octane to use? That's a lot harder than simply asking here.

I agree with Red Beast ... I already knew everything I really needed to know about my car when I bought it ... but I read my manual anyway and learned a lot more. And there was some pretty cool stuff in there when I read it.

You make a $25,000+ purchase and you don't take 20 minutes to read up how it works?! :spin:

i know everything i need to know about my camry

You know the more I hear you calling our cars camry's the more I try to find out the similarities. The taillights are similar, the OEM spoiler is similar....... I like my AWD TURBO'ED camry :)

lol my Subaru dealer had a night for new car buyers to show them cool things they might not know, and ask the technicians questions...I madethe mistake of going. It was like 6 other older people who were all needed to know how to turn off their parking brakes when arriving. lol It was good though to realize anything the tech would want us to know I already knew by coming on here and mainly by sitting in the car playing with switches to see what they do.

People not only refuse to read the manual, they refuse to contact the appropriate sources at SOA to get definative answers to certain questions. A good example would be the turbo warranty on 2005s.

Even after I post a letter like this:

http://stg.home.bresnan.net/POWERTRAIN-LETTER.jpg

people still argue over whether the turbocharger is covered under the powertrain warranty.

I wonder what is the correlation between manual non-readers and single car accidents.

Sometimes people do read the manual but then forget about it.

I did read the manual that came with my '98 Outback. It was the first "new" car that I had ever bought so I checked what every switch did. 3 years later, I accidentally bumped the parking light switch while cleaning the dash. It took me a while to figure out why the parking lights wouldn't go out. 8^)

BTW, my friend didn't know there are instructions on the alarm fob. I guess she thought they were just grip indentations.

^^^trua dat mang, if it wasn't for teh manual, i wouldn't have known which blinker fluid to buy, regular or extended life-----thank you subaru....

That won't help if you get the wrong viscosity.

They're a bunch of idiots at the factory, anyway. They had me come in to get my Envitonmental Control Module replaced for free. I like fresh air, so I have the fan on all the time on purpose. It wsn't a bad relay, I used the switch on the dash.

what are you talking about?

don't you pull it out between the little slot between the back seats?

probably talking about the glow in the dark handle mounted in the trunk that will allow it to be opened in case of accidental enclosure in the trunk. Not to be confused with the pass thru.

probably talking about the glow in the dark handle mounted in the trunk that will allow it to be opened in case of accidental enclosure in the trunk. Not to be confused with the pass thru.

I dont know what you have to do to lock yourself in your trunk, i guess if you are a legal midget and you have something in the corner of your trunk.

First time I saw it I laughed cause it doesnt have a person climbing out as a logo, it has a person RUNNING so I guess its an ANTI-Kidnap safety lever lol

Archived