LegacyGT.com

Powder Coating Brake Calipers?

ERLoft

Sooo. I'm thinking to do STi Brembos in a while. But, let's face it. Those gold calipers look great on WRB STi's, but just wouldn't do it for a DGM Spec.B. So I'm thinking powdercoating. I certainly wouldn't paint them myself, as I want brakes that will withstand track temps. The question is, would powdercoated brake calipers be the best bet?

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't think so. Calipers regularly reach temps that exceed the melting point for the powder. IAPerformance can paint Brembo's for you and restencil....about $200 when I looked into it a year ago.

yep. new calipers only. here's the email reply I got back last year (keep in mind shipping to them and then shipping back is not included in the price):

-----------------

we currently try to offer this service only for locals due to risk of paint damage when turned upside down with out proper plugs in them. The brake fluid eats the paint off. $200 + s/h to do front set. Add $125 for rear set when doing fronts.

-----------------

You can look up anyone in you local area that does it. I know a place that I had my headers ceramic coated also does powdercoating of various parts, including calipers.

If you're going to be seriously tracking it though, the extra layer of material isn't going to be helping your calipers get rid of excess heat as quickly...

Painted my calipers WR Blue with hi temp paint from your local Walmart. Been on the calipers for over a year. They haven't faided at all. I didn't even remove them from the car.

I masked the essentials with trashbags and masking tape, cleaned the calipers with brake cleaner and put on 2 coats. Bags, tape and paint couldnt've cost me more than $30.

IMG_2902.jpg.9689f7c9be0a7fe487caf3a824e49e2a.jpg

I dunno about you but my calipers exceed 1000 degrees F
The middle pedal is to slow for corners before you reach them and not have to panic brake. If the above doesn't float your boat, try harder pads with a greater resistence to heat. If this happens on the road give me your details and I'll administer an attitude adjustment that will fix it once and for all.

Painted my calipers WR Blue with hi temp paint from your local Walmart. Been on the calipers for over a year. They haven't faided at all. I didn't even remove them from the car.

I masked the essentials with trashbags and masking tape, cleaned the calipers with brake cleaner and put on 2 coats. Bags, tape and paint couldnt've cost me more than $30.

I did the same thing on my last car with black Dupli-Color High Heat with Ceramic spray paint from the auto parts store.

I did it while I was changing the pads, though, so I pulled the caliper off, hung it off of something on a coat hanger (so it wasn't hanging by the brake line) and masked off behind it and gave them a few light coats after cleaning them with brake cleaner and giving them a light scuff with a wire brush. The paint lasted at least a couple years in Northeastern weather.

The blue calipers looks great with the white. This is the look I would love to have on my ABP. Also, the price you paid as well. :icon_bigg

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

The middle pedal is to slow for corners before you reach them and not have to panic brake. If the above doesn't float your boat, try harder pads with a greater resistence to heat. If this happens on the road give me your details and I'll administer an attitude adjustment that will fix it once and for all.

Maybe he tracks alot, how do you know ?

For sure my calipers went over 900F at the track, and I'm not aggressive on the brakes.

:lol: You sure its not some other shade of Blue.. and not World Rally Blue

Didn't know Wallyworld carried WRB paint. :confused:

Well, color wise, I'm going to have to lean towards stealth black. Maybe something slightly metallic, but no stand out colors. We want to fly under the radar, see?

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

over Brembo's? :eek:

Well, it'd be nice to get the STi limited black Brembo's, but I'm not willing to pay $$$ extra for them...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

oh, no doubt. I planned to do my Brembo's in black, but didn't. I wouldn't think of doing it with a kit from an auto-store. Cast iron calipers may look fine with it, but the Brembo calipers would look like poop. I'd have them professionally painted at IAPerformance before doing a DIY, but that's just me.

I'd have to agree as well. Worth a few bones to get it done right.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived