LegacyGT.com

Legacy 2.5 GT or MazdaSpeed 6?

ChuckNorse

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After I bought my LGT, I saw MS6s going for around $22k after rebates around here. That said, from what I've heard afterwards, I'm glad I picked the LGT.

I'm not surprised at the heatsoak or power-loss on the MS6s. This is the same company that offered a buy-back on the RX8 after it was mysteriously missing like 30hp, remember.

I own a Miata, so I'm not a Mazda hater by any means. However, the MS6 only makes sense to me if you're really price constrained. Hands down, if you can't spend a dime over $25k, the MS6 is a fantastic car!

That being said, the benefits of the MS6 (6-speed, stability control) and the lower price weren't enough to win me over the Legacy. The Legacy just has a great, composed feel to it that I didn't get with the MS6 - possibly due to the weight distribution and center of gravity.

Also, I already have a 6-speed in the Miata for the track. I really quite enjoy not having to constantly row as many gears on a daily basis. The Legacy has a broad enough powerband that 5-speeds is more than sufficient.

The stability control I'd like, but the Legacy fairs so well in actual/physical crash tests that I was willing to trade-off on that feature.

Aftermarket and reliability also leaned towards the Legacy.

Either way, you're not going wrong, you just have to decide what are priorities for you.

I'd really like to know what the mazda guys told him. The Subie folks tend to be really even mindned about these things.

I drove the MS6 too and really liked it. Compared to my LGT the shifter was super smooth, not nearly as notchy. The clutch was kinda weak. The high belt line was not to my taste.

The MS6 is an oustanding value at the prioces they are going for. As to the "Ford" comment above. Nice. The MS6 is built in Hiroshima, like all the "speed" variants. I belive Aston Martin is a "Ford" as well and prety soon we will all be driving "Toyotas."

Anyway, the guy made a good choice for good reasons.

I know I am going to regret this but,

I too have driven a MS6 and a LGT spec B. I like the interior lay out and looks of the interior better on the MS6. I did like the exterior of the spec B better though. The MS6 felt faster to me, but that was probably because I always seemed to be shifting it. The spec B I never needed to go to 6th. The clutch on the MS6 is like an on/off switch were the spec B's seemed mushy and I got a smell out of the clutch backing into the spot(I test drove a Wrx right after andt he clutch felt a lot better.........more solid). The MS6 does have a bad awd system (Haldex which is a awd system on demand where the spec B's is a real awd system. And the MS6 doesn't have a torsen). The spec B has a lot of aftermarket support behind it, where there is little to no support for the MS6 (it is just starting to get stuff showing up cause of the MS3). As far as no parts for the MS6, Mazda is using the 2.3 in a lot of their new vehicles including the CX7, CX9, MS3,MS6 so I don't see parts drying up. The MS6 also seems to have more gadgets on the GT like advanced key, HID's, pop up nav screen, steering wheel controls, etc. The spec B did have some toys on it too, but sticker vs. sticker it had less of them. The 06 MS6 I am looking at stickers for $33,600 with nav, sunroof, auto dimming mirror, and winter mats. The Spec B I am looking at stickers for $35816. With little talk I had them down to $31,600 on the MS6 without incentives or rebates (now they have $3750 cash back and an additional $1000 if you finance through Mazda credit). Even at invoice I'd be paying $32,800 for the spec B. That's a $5750 difference in price. Add to that a bad experience I had with an owner of a subie dealership very recently, I'm back in limbo on the matter myself.

With little talk I had them down to $31,600 on the MS6 without incentives or rebates (now they have $3750 cash back and an additional $1000 if you finance through Mazda credit).

You should be able to get them down further than that. They hardly sold any of those and want to get rid of them. As I said earlier, I saw them for 22-23K new after incentives for prior model year (06).

http://forum.mazda6tech.com/about6663.html

Here. I used my magic itarw3b powers! :icon_bigg

X

Did you notice that he had 2 replies, favorable for the most part, but not overwhelmingly favorable.........and he said "thanks for the push". Where as here, he got 24 replies (most positive LGT) by the time he put his deposit down. :lol:

Just something I noticed.

Yeah, sounds like he was too tempted with the low payment.

I saw onw of those MS6's recently, I did not see anything that I really like.

The back is the ugliest part, and those fake muffler tips?!! :lol::icon_wink :icon_wink

X

---

You guys think subaru is bad for voiding warranties..

When i was test driving the MSP6 a guy was in there for service on his brand new mazda3, 7k miles on it with a blown engine...he had an intake and NO OTHER MODS and they were refusing to repair the engine.

Archived