LegacyGT.com

Legacy 2.5 GT or MazdaSpeed 6?

ChuckNorse

Someone dynoed (it's on this site somewhere) and compared an 07 Spec.B to an 05 LGT in good running order. The Spec. is more powerful and it has (at least in the 06 MY) publishd times that seem to back it up.

Again...you don't have to buy a Spec model to get the minor engine changes (catless uppipe, possibly revised turbo) that all 2007 turbocharged Legacies get.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought there was a basic reason they keep offering price drops on the MS6: people don't want to buy them, people who do buy them dont like them. If the car is THAT good and that reliable, why would any sane car company offer big price drops like that? I think ppl who want to save a few thousand that badly are entitle to buy whatever they want, but if they start complaining later about numerous problems while owning the car then they truly got what they paid for. If the car works fine, then they good a great deal. As many happy owners of the MS6, i seem to hear anecdotal reports of double the number of unhappy owners, sorry but that is kind of a turnoff for me, esp since i would plan on modding the car for additional power/performance.

personally, I wasn't expecting Subau reliability when I bought it, but it does come with 4Year/50000miles bumper to bumper warranty

some of the more common problem thou have easy fixes

e.g.

loss of power: always use 93 fuel

heat soap: upgraded TMI $549, 20+ HP/ft-lbs, 30 mins install, greatly reduce heatsoap

http://www.therpmstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=91&products_id=405

Ed definately brings up a lot of good points. I do have to admit that I am tempted by the price. I mean you are paying what an optioned Srt4 costed new. You get power rear windows, awd, more hp, and to top it off it isn't a Dodge. I will probably end up with the spec B though(unless something else pans out).

Does the MS6 (not the regular 6=Attenza) have a JDM counterpart?

Ed

Yes, there is a JDM Mazdaspeed Attenza. It's pretty much identical to the USDM except for the taller final gear IIRC.

So finally i think he buy the MS6 right ? i hope his car doesn't have a lot problem.....because yesterday i repair a client's MS6 with an check engine light up with only 504km and i have to change the intake manifold ...i feel very happy with my LGT ....but don't know why that i try the MS6 , and i feel it is slower that my car , and the catalog show the MS6 had 274hp and LGT is 250hp only .....both car had around the same weight.....weird.......

Actually the LGT is ~200 lbs lighter than the MS6 Sport. The MS6 GT is another 150 lbs or something like that heavier than the Sport. The '07 Spec B is about the same weight as MS6 Sport thou.

Take a LGT for sure , i work at Mazda as a mecanic and do you know how many recall and complain on a MS6 ....a lot ......check engine light up right after you purchase the car ..later maybe it have a alignement problem , and then the smart key antenna doesn't work etc....so many thing ....you will regret to buy a MS6

Subaru->No recall Mazda-> a lot recall and complain..

there is two thing that i don't like my LGT is rear space doesn't have a lot and the rear seat cannot flip but 2006 they change it .

I can't comment on the complains but as far as the recall goes, I just checked , there's only 1 for 06MS6 so far

- 2006 - Mazdaspeed6 Lack Of Power

heatsoap is the same thing as heatsoak, right? or is that a different problem?

It's a hugely different problem. Do not ever, ever, ever, never, ever get heatsoap on your intercooler. It makes regular soap (bad as it is) seem like a day at the beach.

I can't comment on the complains but as far as the recall goes, I just checked , there's only 1 for 06MS6 so far

- 2006 - Mazdaspeed6 Lack Of Power

no way , there have a lot new ( bulletin de service ) i dont know what that call in english ....

check engine P2006... intake variable timing problem

evap problem

alignement problem ( not every ms6 )

etc........

i know that it is late in the game... but i like the MS6. i have driven it pretty extensively, since my brother in law purchased it last Nov. it is a nice car, especially for the price. he purchased his '06 for about $8k off MSRP, which was almost $4k less than a comparable LGT.

here is what i like about the car: 6 speed tranny feels a lot more precise than my 5 spd. the steering is a lot more direct, and the suspension is significantly stiffer than in my LGT wagon. i also like the winter driving performance with the ESP on. the brakes are comparable to the STI in performance, and are a LOT better than my LGT.

i am not too excited about the dashboard, some of the plastics are cheap.

the seats are great, just a little high, even in the lowest position. there is lack of power over 5k rpm. i am sure that will be easy to fix once the AP comes out. you can also feel the additional weight in corners, but it feels more stable than my LGT on the highway at higher speeds. it is also slower than my stg2 legacy - i'll post a comparo once he gets his stg1/2 mapping and a downpipe.

overall, for the price, the MS6 is a great car. i would consider it if something happened to my LGT.

no way , there have a lot new ( bulletin de service ) i dont know what that call in english ....

check engine P2006... intake variable timing problem

evap problem

alignement problem ( not every ms6 )

etc........

I understand what you mean now. Service Bulletins(TSBs) are different from recalls thou, I think recall usually referring to something major and /or affecting larger number vehicles of the same model

i know that it is late in the game... but i like the MS6. i have driven it pretty extensively, since my brother in law purchased it last Nov. it is a nice car, especially for the price. he purchased his '06 for about $8k off MSRP, which was almost $4k less than a comparable LGT.

here is what i like about the car: 6 speed tranny feels a lot more precise than my 5 spd. the steering is a lot more direct, and the suspension is significantly stiffer than in my LGT wagon. i also like the winter driving performance with the ESP on. the brakes are comparable to the STI in performance, and are a LOT better than my LGT.

i am not too excited about the dashboard, some of the plastics are cheap.

the seats are great, just a little high, even in the lowest position. there is lack of power over 5k rpm. i am sure that will be easy to fix once the AP comes out. you can also feel the additional weight in corners, but it feels more stable than my LGT on the highway at higher speeds. it is also slower than my stg2 legacy - i'll post a comparo once he gets his stg1/2 mapping and a downpipe.

overall, for the price, the MS6 is a great car. i would consider it if something happened to my LGT.

you just spoke my mind on the review, it wasn't an easy decision, I like both cars

BTW, there's quite a few interesting discussions going on with similar topic on other forums

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1212447

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=70317

i am not debating the flow capacity of the K04, but the mapping behind it.

As in kkk K04? Those produce a good amount of power when in pairs and tuned correctly, wouldnt think a correctly tuned single would be "bad"

Archived