LegacyGT.com

Legacy 2.5 GT or MazdaSpeed 6?

ChuckNorse

I have test driven both cars. After months of deciding , I finally picked up a 06 Black Cherry MS6 GT yestersday for $23500, I must admit that the price of 06 MS6 paid a big rule

Just like the motortrend review, LGT is quieter and a more comfortable daily driver and the Speed6 has a more direct steering feel and a bit firmer ride

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/112_0602_midsize_awd_sedan_comparison/

MS6 's aftermarket support are better then I original thought, thou no where near LGT has

Cobb AP for MS6 coming out soon (hopefully)

http://www.cobbtuning.com/categories/?id=3110

same goes for front mount intercooler

http://www.therpmstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=91_121&products_id=348

BTW, if anyone intersted in buying an MS6, you may want to check them out in Black Cherry or Black. The Speed6 looks pretty good IMHO and quite a bit more 'subtle' in those colors

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know it's not the MS6, but I drove the MS3 GT and was completely disappointed. It was slow, had a ridiculous clutch, bad steering feel, and hardly any positive feedback from the shifter. It felt numb shifting it. Huge let down.

Wow, I felt the exact opposite. After driving the 06' Legacy Spec B, Impreza WRX, MS6, and MS3, the MS3 seemed to me to be the clear winner at least in terms of the amount of car you get for the money you spend. I liked the 06' Spec B the best, but the MS3 is a blast to drive, faster (overall), and 10k cheaper. Yes, the shifter is not as precise as the Legacy, which had the best feel, but it certainly wouldn't be deal a deal breaker for me. The MS3 has great handling, certainly better than the Legacy. The seats are very comfortable and the interior is miles ahead of the comparably priced Impreza, well at least until the 08' Impreza arrives.

Now, (IMHO) the MS6 was not as engaging to drive...less road feedback. It really felt heavier that the MS3 or Legacy and was just as loud as the MS3, which really bothered me. It seems as if theres no soundproofing in that car. Also, I felt like I was lying down. There's no headroom in that thing. I'm 6'4 and my head was firmly planted against the ceiling during T/D. The MS3 has tons more headroom and you're driving upright.

I didn't seem to have any problems with head room in the MS6 and I am 6'3". I did have problems with Wrx/Sti Limited. The LGT seemed to be pretty close from what I remember too. If you can find one, you get a lot of car for the money on a MS6 since they discounted them so much. I don't know if its due to bad marketing, a lot of intial bugs, or what that went wrong with it. I did test drive the MS6 on a 100 degree day and it wasn't that bad power wise. I was more worried about the a/c that didn't seem to be working. I do remember being able to hear the turbo a lot.

Sooooo... I'm confused, are we all talking about the MS6 Sport? AKA: The LGT Unlimited? Cause I'm only seeing MS6 GT (Grand Touring) around the PNW and they are not $22-$25 even with discounts... info? :confused:
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Fuzymd, you paid 23500 for a 6 GT???that seems pretty cheap, was it used? I thought they cost more like 27

yup, it's brand new 06MS6 GT with 40 miles on it, I got it 500 off invoice

with added options (auto-dim mirror, net, locknuts + ...):

MSRP: ~30800

invoice: ~ 28700

I paid: 28700 - 500 - 4750(redate) = ~23500

Take a LGT for sure , i work at Mazda as a mecanic and do you know how many recall and complain on a MS6 ....a lot ......check engine light up right after you purchase the car ..later maybe it have a alignement problem , and then the smart key antenna doesn't work etc....so many thing ....you will regret to buy a MS6

Subaru->No recall Mazda-> a lot recall and complain..

there is two thing that i don't like my LGT is rear space doesn't have a lot and the rear seat cannot flip but 2006 they change it .

I hope Subaru doesn't get into a rebate war w/the MS6 and kill the our resale value even more.

I almost went to test drive an MS6 last week when I bought my Suby but no wagon or auto option negated that notion immediately. When I bought my wife's 5 on Saturday I sat in an MS6 on the showroom floor while they did the paper work and I prefer the LGT interior much more...the MS6 exterior looks more aggressive off the showroom floor though

I gotta say if the spec B had more power then a regular LGT, and they added HID's it wouldn't be a question as to which way I'd be going. However with a sticker that is $2k more. If you go invoice to invoice plus incentives and rebates you make it a $6k diffennce in my area on a 06 MS6 GT. So now you almost have to make it a 3 car comparison being the MS6, the LGT, and a LGT spec B. When I test drove the MS6 I was also given another $2k more for my trade in. The biggest thing stopping me on the MS6 is I've seen a lot of problems pop up on them other then the power loss issue.

Consider buying used with some type of financing incentive and "certified" type warranty.

An LGT with basic mods (that can be removed easily for warranty work) will outperform a MS6. And that MS6 tranny... yuck.

Make a spreadsheet wiith new cars, used cars, finance rates, warranty offers, monthly payments, as well as other pros and cons and see what you come up with.

And of course... test drive like a mofo.

My .02.

Good luck.

I thought there was a basic reason they keep offering price drops on the MS6: people don't want to buy them, people who do buy them dont like them. If the car is THAT good and that reliable, why would any sane car company offer big price drops like that? I think ppl who want to save a few thousand that badly are entitle to buy whatever they want, but if they start complaining later about numerous problems while owning the car then they truly got what they paid for. If the car works fine, then they good a great deal. As many happy owners of the MS6, i seem to hear anecdotal reports of double the number of unhappy owners, sorry but that is kind of a turnoff for me, esp since i would plan on modding the car for additional power/performance.

I gotta say if the spec B had more power then a regular LGT, and they added HID's it wouldn't be a question as to which way I'd be going. However with a sticker that is $2k more. If you go invoice to invoice plus incentives and rebates you make it a $6k diffennce in my area on a 06 MS6 GT. So now you almost have to make it a 3 car comparison being the MS6, the LGT, and a LGT spec B. When I test drove the MS6 I was also given another $2k more for my trade in. The biggest thing stopping me on the MS6 is I've seen a lot of problems pop up on them other then the power loss issue.

Someone dynoed (it's on this site somewhere) and compared an 07 Spec.B to an 05 LGT in good running order. The Spec. is more powerful and it has (at least in the 06 MY) publishd times that seem to back it up.

The LGT halogen headlights are the best halogens I've ever seen (though there were a fair number of reports about them burning out quickly though mine are fine so far (knock wood)). I drive next to cars with HIDs every night and the Subie headlights compare quite favourably which was a surprise to me.

The Spec.B is a different car than the MS6. Its a comfortable car that you can drive comfortably everyday. The MS6 is more of a straight performance car and so the ride quality is compromised in order to enhance the handling. That's just fine but the two cars don't compare directly because of it. I heard it described that the Spec. is a gentleman's performance car (how did I end up with one?).

I also looked at the MS6 and considered it briefly. Coming from a miata, I'm no mazda hater. However, I did find the the 2 cars to be in different classes. The LGT seemed more luxurious and not as busy. It was actually this website that pushed me over. Great knowledge base here...

A huge plus is when your driving to Mammoth and they require chains, they just wave the subies through. This is priceless...

I have yet to see a MS6 on the road, but then again it's hard to separate it from the regular 6.

Take a LGT for sure , i work at Mazda as a mecanic and do you know how many recall and complain on a MS6 ....a lot ......check engine light up right after you purchase the car ..later maybe it have a alignement problem , and then the smart key antenna doesn't work etc....so many thing ....you will regret to buy a MS6

Subaru->No recall Mazda-> a lot recall and complain..

there is two thing that i don't like my LGT is rear space doesn't have a lot and the rear seat cannot flip but 2006 they change it .

If a Mazda mechanic went with a subaru, what does that tell you?

Zmarco is right, he only got 2 responses and none of them even talked about the LGT. 24+ solid responses here and most saying they considered the MS6. too funny...

Someone dynoed (it's on this site somewhere) and compared an 07 Spec.B to an 05 LGT in good running order. The Spec. is more powerful and it has (at least in the 06 MY) publishd times that seem to back it up.

The LGT halogen headlights are the best halogens I've ever seen (though there were a fair number of reports about them burning out quickly though mine are fine so far (knock wood)). I drive next to cars with HIDs every night and the Subie headlights compare quite favourably which was a surprise to me.

The Spec.B is a different car than the MS6. Its a comfortable car that you can drive comfortably everyday. The MS6 is more of a straight performance car and so the ride quality is compromised in order to enhance the handling. That's just fine but the two cars don't compare directly because of it. I heard it described that the Spec. is a gentleman's performance car (how did I end up with one?).

Part of the reason that the halogen's are better is because of the projector beam style headlight they went to (which I am sure you already knew). I don't understand why that would make them burn out faster unless they had bumped up the amperage or had a bad rash of bulbs.

When I test drove the spec B it reminded me a lot of a stock B5 Audi S4 BiTurbo. Stock they weren't overly powerful, or uber quick. They handled great, brakes were great, shifter felt good. When people had a performance reflash (chip) and added a cat back exhaust it was like a different car. You definately noticed more power. So that makes me wonder what a cat back exhaust and reflash would do to a spec B.

If a Mazda mechanic went with a subaru, what does that tell you?

Zmarco is right, he only got 2 responses and none of them even talked about the LGT. 24+ solid responses here and most saying they considered the MS6. too funny...

So finally i think he buy the MS6 right ? i hope his car doesn't have a lot problem.....because yesterday i repair a client's MS6 with an check engine light up with only 504km and i have to change the intake manifold ...i feel very happy with my LGT ....but don't know why that i try the MS6 , and i feel it is slower that my car , and the catalog show the MS6 had 274hp and LGT is 250hp only .....both car had around the same weight.....weird.......

So finally i think he buy the MS6 right ? i hope his car doesn't have a lot problem.....because yesterday i repair a client's MS6 with an check engine light up with only 504km and i have to change the intake manifold ...i feel very happy with my LGT ....but don't know why that i try the MS6 , and i feel it is slower that my car , and the catalog show the MS6 had 274hp and LGT is 250hp only .....both car had around the same weight.....weird.......

gearing....delivery of power in the powerband....wheel size and weight, they can all factor in the differences.

Ed

Archived