LegacyGT.com

Am I paranoid "swoosh pish"

Mr. Ed

Ok, so I bought an access port and a Lachutte Downpipe. I installed the DP with very little problem, replaced both the donut gasket and the bell mouth gaskets....

installed stage 2.....

Other mods are a panel k&n and custom exhaust.. (magnaflow res in place of factory resonator and pipes back from there..it sounds sweeeet)

Here I am.

Boost kicks in much quicker and car feels pretty good. Cheapy boost guauge is showing 5 to 7 psi whn under 3k rpms.... 4k to 5k rpms it jumps to 10 to 15 psi.

(this matches what the Access Port is reading give or take 1 psi)

at idle it rests at about -8 psi vacuum

The issue=

I have read through everything I can find about stage 2 and downpipes on here and I repeatedly read that one should not hear the "swoosh pish"...almost like I have an aftermarket bov on the car. not super loud, only loud enough that it has me worried.

I have looked for exhaust leaks and found none...could the factory bov not be seated correctly, intercooler loose from it's hose....

OR AM I JUST PARANOID

any coments/suggestions appreciated

I am hearing the intake of air from the passenger side of the vehicle...I have heard this since buying the k&n.

I am ALSO hearing a "swoosh pish" from the center/driver side of the vehicle.

if I can't figure it out tonight I am taking video and posting it.

it would be my luck that I am in some way destroying the car.

thanks for the input guys.....keep it coming!

Have you installed an aftermarket Up pipe? I though that was a part of stg 2?

I get the swoosh too from a K&N & airbox silencer removed. Find out where the sound comes from. With mine, I can tell it's coming from the front pass sde of the engine bay, so I know it's not the BOV.

Edit: just saw your post. Sounds like it may be coming form that area. Is your intercooler fully connected? May want to check that connection.

life in spin cycle.....:spin:

Yeah I was thinking of the intercooler connection this morning, I loosened it to get better access to the downpipe....and someone suggested it first thing after I posted this, when I close my store I am going to check it before driving home.

As for the up pipe, it is suggested here on the boards that it be done in fear of the cat failing, however every shop and tech guy I have talked to, including cobb, has said not to worry about it, but wouldn't hurt anything if I choose to do it later. I have only found two posts where the cat failed, but I do plan on installing an STI up pipe as soon as I can find one.

Just gut your stocker. Not too tough and you'll feel the engine get smoother. Why Subaru put a cat there??? no one knows! The other years and models dont have them, just our LGT's.

life in spin cycle.....:spin:

I dunno guys, I checked all of the above and it's all good. I am going to reflash stage 2, drive and try and get some video, and then pull the car into the garage and look over everything again.

the car feels good but I was expecting more umph. it doesn't feel much better than stage 1.

the swooshin and pishin is still there.

it just doesn't sound right.

you can actually hear the stock blow off valve if you changed the intake filter.

I have a stock 07 spec.b and I can hear a soft swooshing noise when I lift off the throttle to change gears during "spirited" acceleration. Is that bad? I thought it was normal. This is my first time owning a forced-induction car.

you can actually hear the stock blow off valve if you changed the intake filter.

This I know,

would switching the downpipe and essentially running no mufflers enhance the sound/make it louder? That is the change that I have heard, my panel has been on the car for about 5 motnhs. I added the Downpipe this week= louder swoosh

i found that there is a shop nearby that works on turbo cars so i may run by there on my next off day

thank you to all the guru's that have given ideas!

I have a stock 07 spec.b and I can hear a soft swooshing noise when I lift off the throttle to change gears during "spirited" acceleration. Is that bad? I thought it was normal. This is my first time owning a forced-induction car.

it is normal, that's the stock blow off valve you are hearing.

Keefe

This I know,

would switching the downpipe and essentially running no mufflers enhance the sound/make it louder? That is the change that I have heard, my panel has been on the car for about 5 months. I added the Downpipe this week= louder swoosh

i found that there is a shop nearby that works on turbo cars so i may run by there on my next off day

thank you to all the guru's that have given ideas!

no, a downpipe doesn't create a louder whoosh sound, only the changes of the intake side would make that sound louder. Such changes as:

Intercooler

Intake Filter

Intake Box

Removal of Intake Silencer

Turbo

Turbo Inlet Pipe

Blow Off Valve

Any other additional intake tract piping

would make the "whoosh" sound louder or softer (99% louder)

Exhaust changes makes the exhaust note changes. If you run catless, you will hear unburn fuel combusting in the exhaust piping, causing that grumble/popping sound that is similar to a Harley or a car on cams.

Keefe

^ Um what? Last time I looked in the UP, it looked like there was a cat in there to me...the same looking thing was in the DP when I looked in there.

And when my Crucial DP and UP was put in, I got the sound of rushing air behind the glovebox when I got under heavy load...ie boost. At first a leak was suspected, and it was taken apart and put back together, and still the same noise. After installing a boost gauge, I saw that I was hitting target boost, no weird smells in the car, therefore, no leak. That is just the sound of boost. You are probably hearing the blow off from the panel filter, or you could be also hearing the spool up/down. When you remove the stock pipes you are removing the heavy stock pipes with lighter stainless steel pipes, so you're bound to hear more stuff going on. If you are hitting target boost, I say don't worry about it.

^ Um what? Last time I looked in the UP, it looked like there was a cat in there to me...the same looking thing was in the DP when I looked in there.

And when my Crucial DP and UP was put in, I got the sound of rushing air behind the glovebox when I got under heavy load...ie boost. At first a leak was suspected, and it was taken apart and put back together, and still the same noise. After installing a boost gauge, I saw that I was hitting target boost, no weird smells in the car, therefore, no leak. That is just the sound of boost. You are probably hearing the blow off from the panel filter, or you could be also hearing the spool up/down. When you remove the stock pipes you are removing the heavy stock pipes with lighter stainless steel pipes, so you're bound to hear more stuff going on. If you are hitting target boost, I say don't worry about it.

that is kinda where I am now, nothing seems to be wrong, not getting any fowl smells, seems to be hitting target boost. i was worried about the small boost i am getting at low rpms but i supose that is normal with ap stage 2.

i am going to get a better guage this morning. the cheapy is not reading vacuum correctly.

at idle it is reading -20 vacuum, and seems to be inaccurate until it is around -10 psi, then it is fine after that

when full on it it hits 15 psi and the needle shakes.

^ Sounds about right...I'll have to check out what vacuum is at idle, but I think its around 20 for me to. When I had cobb's stage two the needle would shake a the same place...actually, about 15.5 psi. TDC's is about 1 psi higher, so that is where it is right now.

I think you're fine. You will know if you have a leak (it sounds terrible...esp in the UP).

that is kinda where I am now, nothing seems to be wrong, not getting any fowl smells, seems to be hitting target boost. i was worried about the small boost i am getting at low rpms but i supose that is normal with ap stage 2.

i am going to get a better guage this morning. the cheapy is not reading vacuum correctly.

at idle it is reading -20 vacuum, and seems to be inaccurate until it is around -10 psi, then it is fine after that

when full on it it hits 15 psi and the needle shakes.

My gauge reads about -20 at idle also. After doing the UP/DP the car definitely got louder. Idle, spool, blowoff, wastegate flutter...etc

Someone also mentioned a rattle... I've got that same problem. Either a heatshield or the resonator maybe? It's really annoying and sounds like crap at idle/low rpms.

Archived