LegacyGT.com

Automatic vs stick.

prof555

correct me if i'm wrong, but i think an auto transmission (any auto transmission) requires a complete rebuild/replacement at around 100-120K miles. this is never, ever brought up in these auto vs. manual debates (especially by the 5eat owners). seeing as the OP currently owns an 8, 11 and 49 yr old vehicle, this may be something to think about.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
correct me if i'm wrong, but i think an auto transmission (any auto transmission) requires a complete rebuild/replacement at around 100-120K miles. this is never, ever brought up in these auto vs. manual debates (especially by the 5eat owners). seeing as the OP currently owns an 8, 11 and 49 yr old vehicle, this may be something to think about.

Change up your ATF every 30k miles to synthetic and change out the tranny filter every 60k and your AET will probably never fail. Want to be even more anal? Install a tranny cooler.

Strangely silent? What the hell does that mean. Truth be known Im a CPA and a bit busy this time of year. I also have not had the chance to drive a manual turbo yet so I wont make any decision until I do. Im absorbing all the info from everyone who has responded, and I do appreciate it. As to my preference, almost all of my everyday cars have been manual transmissions. My 99 is not, my Z and my corvette are. :lol:

Strangely silent? What the hell does that mean. Truth be known Im a CPA and a bit busy this time of year.

My apoligizes, it just seemed like all the conflicting debate and information scared you off and this thread took a life of its own independent of the original poster's question.

if you have a strong manual preference and enjoy driving manual like many drivers do, then get the 5MT for sure, once you get that, there are many cheap, easy to install short shifter kits that really tighten up the throws.

Ed

• 1 year later...

I'll get us back on topic :-)

All of my cars have been stick...all 6 of them (and I'm only 27). My last car was on it's way out and I knew I wanted a Subaru so I went out to buy one intending on getting an '09 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT. I drove one and it drove like crap (I think this thing was a dud). Drove another and it was pure fun. THEN the dealer says hey I'll sell you a brand new '08 Legacy Limted with all of the options for the same price ($20k). Needless to say I'm driving around in my brand new '08 missing the joy of a MT, but I just turn on the heated leather seats and it makes me feel better :-)

• 1 month later...

On the auto/manual debate, many people forget that computers and high tech equipment can shift faster than a human.

Shift kits and reprogramming does wonders for an automatic and almost always exceeds the speed of a manual.

Reliability is null, as manual clutches fail more often than auto trannies, evening it out.

Especially when buying used, the car as a whole is more likely to have been abused if equipped with manual transmission. (age being the underlying factor- older owners tend to go for smooth autos, immature kids tend to go for "Race manual!"

I say auto unless you absolutely have to have a shaft and ball in your hand when driving.

// Ive been told that I will LOVE the automatic in the new GT, that there really isnt much performance difference between it and the standard shift car and that the clutch action in the new car is a PIA. Quite frankly Ive been too busy to drive either one; I plan on doing so shortly but I thought I might get some feedback from owners of current GTs. Thanks.

I'm driving a manual WRX in Boston traffic and while it isn't always fun, it isn't onerous. I also have a 3.0R OBW with 5EAT and it's a nice combo and tows well. Personally I think a turbo with 5EAT is a poor choice. The 3.0R is much better suited to an automatic.

You can get some idea of the performance delta by looking at the Subaru Australia website. The specs of the cars are a bit different than in the US (I believe the manual has a higher numerical final drive in the US probably because of the influence of drag racing), but they are official #'s.

http://www.subaru.com.au/models/liberty/

Liberty 2.5GT SpecB 5EAT: 0-100kmh 7.0 seconds. 6 spd, 6.5s.

There's one other factor to consider. Subaru charges around $1,000 for a 5spd automatic. A lot of people can't drive manuals these days. So because they cost less new and have more limited demand, you might get a better deal on a manual. Or not: they can be hard to find without a lot of miles on them.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

• 8 months later...

that's not true at all. Like any car part, some stuff fails at 120k miles. Some stuff doesn't. Depends on how you treat her and a little bit of luck.

As I am and will all ways be an avid stick fan. It was damn near impossable to find an 05/06 LGT wagon in stick. So I went out and found a 5EAT LGT wagon and from driving cars a lot(repo man) I will have to say that the 5EAT impressed me to the point that I said eh screw the stick I can have the best of both worlds anyway with the manumatic shift. The tranny on this car is just as fun as the ones in the 911 I drove.

Change up your ATF every 30k miles to synthetic and change out the tranny filter every 60k and your AET will probably never fail. Want to be even more anal? Install a tranny cooler.

x10 ;)

I also drive a 2000 Dodge Durango that now has 120k miles. These are known to have a notoriously finicky AT.

With a filter/fluid change every 30k and a tranny cooler from the start this tranny has never given me any issues. Maybe I "GOT A GOOD ONE" but this tranny/Durango has towed 8000lb boats from California to Virginia and back numerous times. It has trailered more than a few cars and motorcycles through every type of weather and condition, across several countries.

I suppose it could die tomorrow but I am a x10 for the filter/fluids/tranny cooler.

LaLGT

x10 ;)

I also drive a 2000 Dodge Durango that now has 120k miles. These are known to have a notoriously finicky AT.

With a filter/fluid change every 30k and a tranny cooler from the start this tranny has never given me any issues. Maybe I "GOT A GOOD ONE" but this tranny/Durango has towed 8000lb boats from California to Virginia and back numerous times. It has trailered more than a few cars and motorcycles through every type of weather and condition, across several countries.

I suppose it could die tomorrow but I am a x10 for the filter/fluids/tranny cooler.

LaLGT

We sold my wife's 97 Concord (yuck but roomy) with 183k on it a couple of years ago to the cousin of a family down the street. We still see it every Sunday after have coming from a far flung burb. Meticulous adherence to the OEM maintenance intervals and the thing is still going. Got over 30 mpg to boot with that small 6.

Archived