LegacyGT.com

6 Speed Transmission Conversion on my '05

sti_lust

Should any of you have it in mind, I'd urge you to first consider looking at the Spec B, which already has a 6-speed. I don't know if that tranny is the exact same as the one that I grabbed from an '05 STi, but I do know that the costs of working up a Spec B, without having to do all of the mods associated with the tranny swap are going to be less than what I did.

I'm not sure how to parse that last sentence...

a) Trading up to a spec B is cheaper than doing a tranny swap (how I read it)

b) You could have bought a spec B for less than you paid for the swap (no way!)

c) Swapping in a spec B tranny would cost less than swapping in an STI tranny (how rao seems to have read it)

Either way, thanks for sharing. It's good to know that the different transmissions are at least somewhat compatible. I'm holding out for Subaru to start making an SMG or DSG gearbox, though. :)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
people who have non-synchro gearboxes have to double-clutch.

heel-toeing is the only way to downshift in a manual while threshold braking without upsetting the chassis with extra engine braking.

these are legitimate terms.

i do not or have not done this in my own MT as i didn't know how. however, next vehicle will be MT and then it will be on my list of things to master :D

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

OK - who is going to make a list of all these buzzwords and a definiton of each one? Also - what is the benefit of it? I'm gonna start working out my clutch leg - as i'll need to beef it up to press it, you know, 14 times to get up to 60mph
I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

OK - who is going to make a list of all these buzzwords and a definiton of each one? Also - what is the benefit of it? I'm gonna start working out my clutch leg - as i'll need to beef it up to press it, you know, 14 times to get up to 60mph

that is more or less in the motorsports world. every day driving doesn't necessarily require you to double clutch or heel-toe. no different from my left foot braking in my 5EAT. i practice when i'm driving around town so it becomes a little more second nature.

i do miss my 6MT. the performance and having the ability to change gears at will as God intended. however, for times stuck in traffic, i'm happy to have an AT. next car will certainly be 5MT but i prefer 6MT. and yes, i do like shifting... :lol:

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

• 2 weeks later...
A friend of mine swapped a STi tranny into his WRX and made his own DCCD controller. I bet he'd make more if there was interest.

I've got the circuit completed and all the parts acquired (including the 8-bit NEC programmable controller) I just need to lay out and order the boards. The original plan was to make 4 boards originally and see if anyone would be interested in buying them. Of course, I would want to test them out myself beforehand. A lot of WRX were intially asking for them, but I blew them off as my professional work load increased and private project motivation decreased. Maybe when I get back in a week, I'll start this project back up.

Heh heh -- with a 6spd you spend more time shifting than accelerating. It might be fun on a tight road course but for daily driving and max acceleration it's got to bite the big one.

...wow :lol:

...wow :lol:

Let me elaborate -- that's with the STi 6 spd. I've driven one. I've watched them at the track as they really do shift out of 1st before passing the timing lights. That's useless to me. For all-out max performance, nothing beats more gears to keep you in the heart of the powerband. For a regular street car, I'd prefer to shift less.

The SpecB's 6spd looks to be more realistic and who knows -- maybe I'll convert mine one day.

Let me elaborate -- that's with the STi 6 spd. I've driven one. I've watched them at the track as they really do shift out of 1st before passing the timing lights. That's useless to me. For all-out max performance, nothing beats more gears to keep you in the heart of the powerband. For a regular street car, I'd prefer to shift less.

The SpecB's 6spd looks to be more realistic and who knows -- maybe I'll convert mine one day.

Let me add to this, youre right, the spacing of the gearing of the sti and spec B 6MTs are pretty different, i own a spec B and i've driven several Sti's and youre right, driving an sti for prolonged periods of timing in daily driving/traffic conditions can be tedious because of the closer spacing of the lower gears which are optimized for speed, not cruising. As far as the spec B 6MT gears go, i drive it daily for my commute to and from work, all sorts of traffic conditions and on long road trips, and it gives me no more problems than my old 5MT.

if you can find the opportunity to drive a 6MT spec B for a significant period of time, you'll see what i mean, if you can't, then you're stuck with just speculating on the difference.

Ed

Let me add to this, youre right, the spacing of the gearing of the sti and spec B 6MTs are pretty different, i own a spec B and i've driven several Sti's and youre right, driving an sti for prolonged periods of timing in daily driving/traffic conditions can be tedious because of the closer spacing of the lower gears which are optimized for speed, not cruising. As far as the spec B 6MT gears go, i drive it daily for my commute to and from work, all sorts of traffic conditions and on long road trips, and it gives me no more problems than my old 5MT.

if you can find the opportunity to drive a 6MT spec B for a significant period of time, you'll see what i mean, if you can't, then you're stuck with just speculating on the difference.

Ed

So basically you do not feel like the 2nd gear is too short...you just have the cool 6th gear for highway but in city traffic you shift just as much as you did with a 5MT ?

So basically you do not feel like the 2nd gear is too short...you just have the cool 6th gear for highway but in city traffic you shift just as much as you did with a 5MT ?

no not really, 2nd gear doesnt really bother me at all. and yeah, my shifting patterns dont really feel any different or more frequent than with my 5MT. In fact when im freeway driving i have to think 'oh yeah i've got a 6th gear to shift into overdrive' and i kind of do it as an afterthought'.

i suppose if someone filmed/taped me driving my 5MT daily and compared it to footage of my driving 6MT daily and then some nerd with a notebook actually counted/logged my differences/frequency of shifting, they would probably count a difference, but to the only person that it matters...ME.... i dont even notice.

Ed

Want to learn more? Head on over to the motorsports forum. What to learn even more? Head over the motorsports forum on nasioc. Of course, none of these techniques really play a role in day to day driving, only at the track.

The six speed has virtrually identical accleration times compared to the 5 speed.

I like my 5 speed because only one shift is needed too 60 mph.

Is the six speed the same way?

Devil's advocate: why do you care how many shifts you need to hit 60? I guess its good for bench racing?

the only techniques i apply in regular commuter driving is double clutching and even that isnt necessary.

when driving in the mtn roads i also employ some left foot braking from time to time.

Ed

I miss my 6 gear I drove a supra with a 6 speed for the last 9 years now only having 5 leavs me wanting a little more but I did choose the 06 over the 07 spec b so I shouldnt complain to much

• 2 years later...
I'm in the process of switching out my '05 5 speed for a jdm sti version 8 6 speed.. I already have everything including the R180 rear diff, just one question though.. Will the GT axles fit on the R180 or will our hub assemblies fit onto the sti axles? This is the part I'm stuck at... Oh, that and trying to find a set of rear Brembos.

I'm in the process of switching out my '05 5 speed for a jdm sti version 8 6 speed.. I already have everything including the R180 rear diff, just one question though.. Will the GT axles fit on the R180 or will our hub assemblies fit onto the sti axles? This is the part I'm stuck at... Oh, that and trying to find a set of rear Brembos.

Pretty sure you are going to need new hubs.

Pretty sure you are going to need new hubs.

And again you're pretty wrong...

SpecB axels are needed. If you have R180 out STI you need R160 type yoke to mate to SpecB or 2.5i 4EAT drive shaft and also longer LGT/08+Impreza rear studs for mounting the diff to the subframe.

I already have sti version 8 axles.. those are useless then? The R180 is out of an 04 sti with the 3.90 final drive. I would just need sti hubs then from an 04 with the 5x100 bolt pattern and the longer studs like you said then? If I use spec B axles, am I able to use the GT hubs still?

Archived