LegacyGT.com

Purpose of the spacer washer

Jedi Pimp

If you're referring to the conical washer that fits between the strut and tophat, it allows the strut to rotate when you turn the steering wheel. It provides a face for the bearing in the top hat to seat against. If it is not there or installed upside down, you will have increased resistance when turning.

between spring seat and tophat. The Spec B/JDM tophats have a bearing in them. The USDM tophats do not and use the cambered washer instead.

I'm not sure why the HD's would come with them - are the flat, or thick with one flat side and the other cambered?

it is about 1mm-2mm thick. i did notice that it is not perfectly flat...maybe i should put it between the spring seat and top hat. i'll try to assemble one tonight (minus the spring) and see how it goes. so there is no need for a washer between the nut and top hat?

as long as you have the JDM/Spec B tophat that has the bearing pressed in, you don't need the spacers. I'd surmise that using USDM tophats is ok as long as you use the washer, provided the rod on the Bilstein clears the hole that is.

Archived