LegacyGT.com

Accessport for 07 update

mand3j

Beyond just using the knob, do you think we'll get an 07 specific map, or just a reshashed 05/06? I ask because with the 07's coming stock with the uppipe removed and possibly a different turbo, it seems to me there may be 5-10 HP available at "stage 1" levels than for previous model years.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Beyond just using the knob, do you think we'll get an 07 specific map, or just a reshashed 05/06? I ask because with the 07's coming stock with the uppipe removed and possibly a different turbo, it seems to me there may be 5-10 HP available at "stage 1" levels than for previous model years.

That's a reasonable assumption...I don't know about 5-10 hp...maybe like 4-7hp, but either way, I'm sure the map will be adjusted to accommodate the lack of an additional cat.

Guest Gitster
Ha, it will be here when its here. I trust Cobb to bring us the best product they can, they've done the Legacy community well in the past.

Ha, it will be here when its here. I trust Cobb to bring us the best product they can, they've done the Legacy community well in the past.

I agree. I'd rather wait a bit longer and have something that is solid rather than having something now but constantly reflash the firmware to fix bugs.

• 3 weeks later...

No specifics, but I met and spoke with Trey this weekend at the Prodrive Install day in Santa Ana. He assured me that the LGT would be out as soon as possible, that it was the hardware delays that were holding things up. Apparently when they requested the processors for the new interface, there was a 24 week lead time! Fortuantely that lead time started back in 2006 (September/October maybe? Didn't ask him for a specific date it was ordered...)

Now, on the other hand, we discussed the SI Drive a bit, and he said that not only would changing on the fly between maps work, it was his intention that the AccessPort unit itself would be able to switch maps on the fly for non-SI Drive equipped cars as well. His stated goal was to get more owners to carry the AP in their vehicles to make this on the fly more common. My specific question to him was that my wish list was to have an I mode that was essentially the same, just tuned for whatever mods, a 91 octane performance map and a 100 octane map on my SI Drive button. His response was that wouldn't be any problem at all. Not ony that, but apparently the new ECU's have the capacity to store as many as 10 maps internally!

In any case, they had wanted to wait to release all 07 AccessPorts, but the hardware delays for the LGT led to the release of the STi and WRX AP's last week. We just need to be a little patient (I know, it's damn HARD to be patient!), and we'll get to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow! :D

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Guest Gitster
That sounds absolutely insane , but what if you had 100 octane map on Sport Quick and accidentally switched to it while daily driving on 91??? Highway stall??

Now, on the other hand, we discussed the SI Drive a bit, and he said that not only would changing on the fly between maps work, it was his intention that the AccessPort unit itself would be able to switch maps on the fly for non-SI Drive equipped cars as well.

I told ya!

SI-drive has no implications for map switching vs. non SI-drive LGTs, other then having a dedicated switch vs. a button combo (most likely cruise control)

Pretty cool. I am not super concerned with the SI drive functionality (can take it or leave it), but it will be awesome to get the AP out for our cars.

The ability of the ECU to store maps is kind of intriguing, though.

Oh, it sounded like you said,

I don't think SI-drive is complicated enough to allow real-time map switching like you guys think it can.

I don't even know if theres enough room in the RAM to have more then one set of maps.

then a little bit of,

SI-Drive is a LOT simpler then you think it is.

it switches between three throttle maps, and activates sportshift on the 5EATs.

then some,

I don't think having SI drive vs. not having it means anything in regards to that.

a non-SI drive LGT could just as easily have map switching on the fly, using button combos instead of a dedicated switch.

then

and we're saying that isn't gonna happen, what don't you understand about that?

in response to

For me, rather than dicking around with the AP to change maps, I would want to turn the little SI-Drive button to right to get max POWA!! This would all hopefully be done on the fly.

So your position has migrated back and forth a bit. And, from my understanding from the technical description, I mode is more than just throttle mapping. It essentially holds open the wastegate so that any boost that is built up is "passive" rather than actively controlled. That's certainly what it sounds like in use compared to S and S#. But I'm just glad that I can continue to use the feature the way I like to. I = commuter hell mode; S# = g therapy session.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

I've been keeping tabs on the RT tuning dev process over at enginuity and learned more about the 32bit ecu vs. the 16 bit ecu, and about what is or is not actually possible with the rom code.

back when I said that, I didn't think it was possible to do, but now I know it is.

I find it very interesting that we are seeing planned AP support for things like speed density and launch control now, a few months after the openecu people have started to develop it.

makes you think.

I find it very interesting that we are seeing planned AP support for things like speed density and launch control now, a few months after the openecu people have started to develop it.

makes you think.

Think what? That Cobb is possibly incorporating open-source functionality? Nothing wrong with that. If anything, so long as they abide by the terms of the associated license (which, I'm willing to bet that a company like Cobb does if they have ANY form of competent legal guidance), it means that they'll contribute back bug fixes and other advancement back to the community for the portions of OS-code that they utilize.

If they're just reverse engineering OS-code, that's fine too. Then they're making a decision to rewrite code and that has an economic cost to them that they're willing to pay.

Heck, they could completely resell one of the open-source solutions. Remember, they can charge for packaging (AP unit), the associated service and support that they provide, and any maps they develop with their expertise. I'm willing to bet people would STILL pay pretty much what they do today for the hardware/support/expertly developed maps and not care that they could have downloaded the raw tuning tools for free online.

I don't think they are incorporating functionality, I think they are now actually viewing open source as a credible threat, and devoting resources to competing with it.

That's great, competition is good for us the consumer! Where I see it being a bigger threat is individual tuners being able to use OS tools to program customer cars. Again, I think the value is in how much trust the buyer has in the tune. Will it potentially fry my ECU when I'm tuned or change maps? Has the map I'm loading has been well tested and possibly run on hundreds of cars like mine with success?

So, where Cobb has to really remain competitive is making sure their tuning tools and hardware are a cut above so that regional shops like TDC, etc. continue utilize Cobb's solution over OS alternatives. Otherwise, someone like TDC and others who have invested the dyno time and have built a reputation will be able to start competing with Cobb versus relying on Cobb for a good portion of the product cost.

<usual disclaimer than my previous two posts don't constitute legal advice, etc.> :)

I told ya!

SI-drive has no implications for map switching vs. non SI-drive LGTs, other then having a dedicated switch vs. a button combo (most likely cruise control)

Ummmm...isn't that what map switching is? I'm glad to see that the SI-drive will be incorporated. It'll be nice to be able to switch maps without having to hook the AP up. Cm'on Cobb, release it already!!

• 9 months later...

Sorry to wake an old thread, but I had subscribed to this to keep tabs on when the AP was going to be released. Since nobody posted to it, I didn't find out until today. For others in the same boat, here's the link:

http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=3268

When Chuck Norris was born, the only person who cried was the doctor. Never slap Chuck Norris. - E.J.S.

does the redline for the 5eat get automatically extended to 7k or is it a secondary request that i would have to tune for?

no idea if its a 5EAT specific thing, but my car has the same 6500 redline and my protuner raised the limit to 7K w the tuning software.

Archived