LegacyGT.com

Axxis Ultimates Initial Impressions....

edmundu

****These pads are AWESOME!!!! AWESOME!!! AWESOME!!!***

Upon opening the box, I found the pads to be well packaged, and the pads themselves had an anti-vibration rubberized pad on the backing plate.(nice touch!) They also had the nice tapered pad edge like the factory pads, to reduce squealing.

Initial Impressions:

I am floored at how responsive they are. I mean they bite immediately! I thought my Ferodo's(ds2500) had a pretty good bite, but these out do them by a surprising amount. I would liken the braking action to that of the latest '06-up BMW 3 series.

And to boot, I haven't even bedded them in yet! These are brand new pads, on brand new rotor's! I need to gently heat cycle the rotor's a bit, and then I'll bed in the pads. Cannot wait, as it could only get better. As I understand these pads get mixed reviews, mostly due to them being dusty, but I have yet to ride in a non-dusty pad equipped car, that has this kind of braking action. Words barely describe the positive response. And for the money, they are an absolute steal.

I'll have more to comment on & compare once I have bedded them in so stay tuned....

Note: I am running STi Brembo's, but the compound should be identical to LGT specific pads.

(ds2500)[/i] had a pretty good bite' date=' but these out do them by a surprising amount. [/quote']

Interesting comment about the 2500s. This will likely be the pads that come with the AP calipers that I will be getting.

I will await your long-term review.

I actually had Bobcat's! For all of 2 weeks.....I wound up selling them at a loss! That pretty much sums up what I thought of them. And to go into more detail, everything about them was sub par...

• Calling to speak with them to get technical details on the pads, went unanswered. Basically just said "yeah, they are for the street, not track"
  • Paint used on backing plate charred black within 500 miles.
  • No builtin antivibration pad.
  • No nicely chamfered edges.
  • They also dusted, just a lighter shade of grey.
  • Known to be problematic w/o fresh rotor's or resurfacing. (I found this out after I sold them, but I have never had a pad have such issues with bedding itself in on used rotors.)

These Ultimates, are night and day better, in every conceivable parameter, right down to price. In which these set me back $65, vs the $160 for Bobcats. Like I said no comparison, like apples & oranges.

I did my homework on these, and pretty much consulted BMW boards for I feel they are the best braking cars around. And from talking to BMW guru's, these Ultimates were highly recommended, even to the point that I said I would pay double for PAgid's if they were even 10% better, and he told me to save my money....and get the Axxis Ultimates.

Interesting comment about the 2500s. This will likely be the pads that come with the AP calipers that I will be getting.

I will await your long-term review.

Yeah, it surprised me in a pleasant way:icon_bigg ! The ds2500's are a great pad, but they are pricey. The Ferodo's are 3x the cost of the Axxis, with only a very small MOT advantage of 50 degrees. They are rumored to have less compressability than other pads, but I really have to give it to the Ultimates. My brake pedal is like a rock, and the moment you wiggle your toe on the brakes, the car instantly responds with braking action. It will take a little time to get used to it, but I'm more than willing to do so, for what it returns in braking confidence.

I actually have had reasonably good success with my bobcats, but they are definitely not the best, they are just to tie me over till BBK.

Where did you get your Axxis from?

I picked them up from Zeckenhausen Racing. They were more expensive than other's( by $20), but the owner/racer Dave gave me invaluable insider info, and advice, that I had to give him this order.

In the future, I will likely just get it from any of the other vendor's that sell these for about $60 a set.

I'm sure these pads can be got for the AP 5200 calipers, but can they be got for the OEM rears for our LGTs?

They must, as I recall getting Autozone rears for my stock rear's, when I was trying different pads. I think if you use a 2003 WRX fitment pad, it will work. And I know they make WRX Ultimates!

Archived