LegacyGT.com

A Lexus for my mom

So my mom currently has a 1999 Lexus RX300. 86,000 miles and its got some nasty repairs, which is ashame because she has spent so much $$$ over the years keeping up with Lexus maintence so that the car would last her 12ish years. However, she needs a new starter = $500 for a dang Camry V6. And she needs $2000 worth of suspension work.

She called me from the dealer to ask what she should look at. I told her the RX350 and the RX400h. Anyone have any expirience with either? The salesman told her that the '08s will be comin in a few weeks and therefore she could get a good deal on an '07. She's excited, but dissapointed since she had expected her RX to last longer.

I must say that I am dissapointed. I understand that Lexus is a luxury car company, but this seems way too expensive for repairs. I replaced my own starter for $90, Subaru wanted $300 and $500 from Lexus. Think Toyota would fix it cheaper.

isn't RX400h much much more expensive than regular ones?

I like the RX over X5 and ML because of the comfortableness and the i tempt to lean to the japanese luxury interior then the simple European interiors...

But then Cayanne/Toureg wins all in both performance and luxury in the high end SUV market

I used to work at a car dealer, i had experiences driving all above cars, the last gen ML is a POS when it comes to short distance braking... don't know about the new one tho :iam:

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

Well she wants an SUV for hauling stuff. Her and my dad take alot of crap to our lake house so they need something to cart it and the 330xi is too small.

One thing you have to remember is that she is not looking for something that hugs the curves like a LGT does. Thats not what she's after. Utility and comfort is the idea.

Research and look at the following:

Lincoln MKX

GMC Acadia

Audi Q7

Saab 9-7x

Volkswagen Touareg

Buick Enclave

I would not recommend the Lexus after spending a few weekends with one. And after the headaches of your parents repairs - I'm sure they wouldn't mind switching either.

My mom has had the RX300 and now has an RX350. They both were leased so no long term repairs were made. For that matter no short term repairs were necessary either.

My mom (60) LOVES the Lexus SUV. I enjoy driving it from time to time, but it's not what I'm looking for in my daily driver. In the end that's what it comes down to.

My mom looked at alternatives (Toyota highlander, Nissan Murano, etc.,) but she loved her RX300 so much and the price difference (on the lease) wasn't enough to compell her not to get another. She is currently way below her allotted milage so she is seriously thinking about buying it at the end of the lease this summer.

Research and look at the following:

Lincoln MKX

GMC Acadia

Audi Q7

Saab 9-7x

Volkswagen Touareg

Buick Enclave

I would not recommend the Lexus after spending a few weekends with one. And after the headaches of your parents repairs - I'm sure they wouldn't mind switching either.

Nah, they dont do GM anymore. Not after the disaster that my dad's Aurora was. Checked out the Q7, but its gas milage sucks and my dad's A6 broke down alot. My parents are more into Toyota and BMW. So the X3 and the X5 are also options, but not sure if the X3 is big enough. She really like her RX300 now, but Ive driven an RX330 and its drives more like a car so I imagine the 350 does too.

Checked out, the ML 350. It majorly sucked.

So I calculated that my mom would save $480 a year if she replaced her RX300 with an RX400h. Therefore, the extra cost of a hybrid system would be covered in 6 years, and that is before the tax break.

The extra cost of a diesel M class, would take more like 12 years. Yikes.

^^^^ the new 08 X5 is sick.
Thats mom's next ride as soon as her lawsuit is over with (long story, stemming from an accident 2 years ago in the current X5). The new one is absolutely sick like you said, she saw it and said, "OMG I want it now!!!!!" and Dad and I looked at eachother and agreed, 4.8 or nothin, we want teh powah!!!!!!

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Be fore warned that the claimed mileage for the RX400h is not easy to obtain, and it was a common complaint of the customers that bought those vehicles from the dealership I used to work at.

If you like BMW's (and that is what I used to sell) wait to see how the diesel powered X3 and X5 are once they show up over here. The Lexus SUV's never struck me as very good to drive, and keep in mind that the car based SUV's are not going to be as durable as the truck based SUV's. A car body architecture adapted to an SUV with all the extra weight is trouble waiting to happen. The BMW's to their credit are designed to be SUV's ahem... SAV's. The Lexus is a light weight FWD car with put up on stilts.

Archived