LegacyGT.com

A Lexus for my mom

The Lexus SUV's never struck me as very good to drive, and keep in mind that the car based SUV's are not going to be as durable as the truck based SUV's.

Yeah, but thats what they like, which is why they bought the RX300 in the first place. My mom and dad test drove the X3 and despised it. Said it was like driving a small and cramped truck, and not worth the expense.

Narrowed it down to whether or not they want the RX330 or the 400h. My dad wants the hybrid, but doesnt want the extra expensive of navigation ($1800) since they dont need it. However, the 8 year, 80,000 mile warranty is very appealing.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I was in this car this weekend. The backup camera is awesome. Its quiet. My parents were stuck on the PA turnpike for 2 hours and the gasoline engine only revved up a few times to keep the car warm. However, when you floor the 3.3L goes and SUV is fast.

What I thought was odd. No push button start. My bro's gf's Prius has push button start, but not in this Lexus. Strange.

Definately impressed by the 400h though.

• 2 weeks later...
My stepdad's looking at buying a 400h to replace his Sequoia (turns out he doesn't need to transport half a dozen full-sized adults all that often, and he's constantly backing into the side of the house on accident). The one thing my mom's worried about is using it to drive over the mountains in the winter - how have your parents/you liked the snow handling of the 400h? The AWD setup seems kind of funky in that the rear wheels are only driven part-time by an electric motor - is it pretty good about knowing when to turn on in low-traction situations?
sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

My mom likes it alot. She says it is the nicest car she has ever owned and says it much better than her RX300. The backup camera is one of her favorite features, but she can't get over the gas mileage she gets, because she had become acustomed to 18 mpg for the last 8 years.

The AWD is a little funky, but my mom said that she hasnt noticed it being all that different than her RX300 while driving through the snow and ice in the northeast.

Wait until Toyota releases a full fledged sports car that's a hybrid. The LF-A Concept originally was rumored to be a hybrid, but looking like V10 power now.

Yeah I saw that. I think its kinda lame. I would rather buy a V8 hybrid with V10 power and half the emissions than a straight V10. Look at the GS450h. 340 hp, 25 city, 28 highway. Compare that to the V8 Chrysler 300, which has slightly less power and gets 17 city, 25 highway. Definately worth it to go hybrid seeing as how youre getting more power anyway and saving money on gas. Plus Toyota/Lexus offers an 8 year, 100,000 mile warranty on their hybrids.

Porsche is rumored to be working a 4 door coupe with a V10 hybrid. Cant wait to see that.

My mom likes it alot. She says it is the nicest car she has ever owned and says it much better than her RX300. The backup camera is one of her favorite features, but she can't get over the gas mileage she gets, because she had become acustomed to 18 mpg for the last 8 years.

The AWD is a little funky, but my mom said that she hasnt noticed it being all that different than her RX300 while driving through the snow and ice in the northeast.

Sweet...sounds like my parents would like it just fine. My stepdad was disappointed when my searching found that people were "only" getting 25-28mpg combined with the 400h...then he tells me he's been averaging 12mpg in his Sequoia... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

Sweet...sounds like my parents would like it just fine. My stepdad was disappointed when my searching found that people were "only" getting 25-28mpg combined with the 400h...then he tells me he's been averaging 12mpg in his Sequoia... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

So anything is an improvement, plus the acceleration is much better. The Lexus salesman my mom saw said that he wasnt sure if they were gonna make an '08 RX400h, so I bet your stepdad could work a deal like my mom did.

My mom has a RX330 and I have to admit it's a pretty nice ride for people looking for comfort. It's a nice break from listening to all the rattles in the Legacy.

As far as handling in the snow is concerned, I think it's pretty forgiving for people who aren't enthusiasts, braking distance in the snow is pretty good too. It feels better than the Legacy in that respect. Also, the traction control won't allow you to spin out the car, which is also good for older drivers. Very comfortable.

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

WOW!

I drove the RX400h and I think I like it better than my dad's 330xi. It was the smoothest ride, has touch screen navi, stereo, and temperature controls (which I didnt know how to use). The back up camera was pretty sweet too. It was dark behind me, yet I could see when I looked at the screen. The steering wheel telescopes electronically and even the Lexus badges in the door sills are illuminated. The rear lift gate goes up and down automatically.

What was the most amazing was that I didnt feel like I was driving a car. The balance between electric and gas motors is beautiful. At low speeds it was really really cool to just be cruising on electric power. However, floor it and the gasoline motor emits an amazing roar and the electric motors gently whizzzz as the energy production guage spikes to 200 KW.

Amazing. I want one!

Im apologizing in advanced for the crappy pictures, but I had to use my old camera.

I wanted a video of me revving it up for you (cause it sounds pretty bad ass) but the hybrid drive doesnt let you rev it in neutral. Bummer.

Note that the average fuel consumption is only 24.7 mpg, still pretty decent for 268 hp SUV. According to Road & Track, once you put a few more miles on it gas mileage increases dramatically.

DSC02410.JPG.0253c4dc582dca2cb38d4cb46cdd2097.JPG

DSC02411.JPG.4112b0532b02425f3baaef8fb52165df.JPG

DSC02412.JPG.22b542150adcc2a42a153e8f877368f8.JPG

DSC02413.JPG.11d555bd3d17fe13c245b1f4a4f8f165.JPG

DSC02418.JPG.daa6a6717973f97ea2a8c22476d23eba.JPG

DSC02417.JPG.44101c0e0597e7b5112ed0da6fec77e7.JPG

DSC02420.JPG.718b923d78280c9f4114130c42efaef5.JPG

So my mom currently has a 1999 Lexus RX300. 86,000 miles and its got some nasty repairs, which is ashame because she has spent so much $$$ over the years keeping up with Lexus maintence so that the car would last her 12ish years. However, she needs a new starter = $500 for a dang Camry V6. And she needs $2000 worth of suspension work.

She called me from the dealer to ask what she should look at. I told her the RX350 and the RX400h. Anyone have any expirience with either? The salesman told her that the '08s will be comin in a few weeks and therefore she could get a good deal on an '07. She's excited, but dissapointed since she had expected her RX to last longer.

I must say that I am dissapointed. I understand that Lexus is a luxury car company, but this seems way too expensive for repairs. I replaced my own starter for $90, Subaru wanted $300 and $500 from Lexus. Think Toyota would fix it cheaper.

All cars need new parts at some point and the suspension at least is a known wear item.

I suggest she find a good independent mechanic and I bet it costs her about 1/2 of that price. Another thing to consider is how long will it last if she does that work? Repairing the old car will probably cost less in the longer term than buying a new one.

All cars need new parts at some point and the suspension at least is a known wear item.

I suggest she find a good independent mechanic and I bet it costs her about 1/2 of that price. Another thing to consider is how long will it last if she does that work? Repairing the old car will probably cost less in the longer term than buying a new one.

You didnt read far enough.

Archived