The Official: New England post whore thread

BDII

Is JermTheElf actually BMX?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Is JermTheElf actually BMX?

• Yes, only slightly less annoying
    • Yes, but they are in fact BF/BF
    • No, JermTheElf is much less intelligent
    • No, JerfTheElf has toe thumbs so he can't be BMX (cont)
    • ...because BMX has girlie hands
    • Yes, and the mods don't care
    • Yes, it's legal in MA for this to happen
    • No, JermTheElf is just another noob passing through
    • SWEAR TA ME!!!
    • Have you seen my pants?

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everyone for your replies. Yeah (Matt?) I'm comparing similar springs as well ie: not Swifts. While I know the ride won't be spot on stock I'm willing to concede that. Good handling doesn't have to mean a hard ride. Ideally a relatively soft spring and relatively hard damper (key being relative) would give a good balance... Which smells a lot like the stock springs with Konis.

Sent from a box in my pocket.

Here's what I sent to a customer who recently purchased the combo package from me and was looking for guidance on setting up his Konis:

Once everything is installed I recommend setting all the shocks to their halfway point. There are two full rotations of adjustment, so the way to set it is turn it to full soft (CCW) and then turn one rotation CW. This will be your starting point. After driving for a week or so you should get an alignment. At this point you can begin taking note of how the suspension responds to the road. Remember that you cannot adjust the firmness of compression (hitting a bump) but you can control the rate at which the shock extends (rebound). You will want to be paying attention to how the car reacts after hitting the bump. If the corner feels like it is "falling" or the tire loses traction, then that would indicate the shock is not extending fast enough and you will want to soften up that end (always adjust the fronts or rears as pairs) by 1/4 turn at a time. To keep the adjustments consistent, the best thing to do is adjust the shock back to full soft and turn it CW to the new setting. This eliminates hysteresis from the adjustment.

Another situation might be driving over a pot hole, where you don't necessarily hit a bump first. In this case you can tell if the rebound is too soft because the wheel/tire will slam into the bottom of the pothole and then when it hits the other side of the pothole the impact will be jarring (since the shock has extended beyond what is normal and cannot compress that distance quickly enough to absorb the impact). If the rebound was too firm in this situation you will feel the same "falling" feeling I mentioned earlier, as that corner of the car falls into the pot hole, and then a similar jarring feeling as the wheel exits the pothole, but this time due to the shock having not extended sufficiently and engaging the bump stop when the suspension further compresses.

What were you running your Konis at that time we did my brakes etc? Felt like full hard.. It was wicked uncomfortable lol.

Next to full soft. I think you're just sensitive lol. I keep them near full stiff now all the time, and I drive some terrible roads.

Next to full soft. I think you're just sensitive lol. I keep them near full stiff now all the time, and I drive some terrible roads.

Hmm, musta been because there were 4 of us in the car... I just don't want my car to ride like my mom's Type-S. The cornering is great but the penalty is a bone crushing ride on anything other than winter tires.

When I first put my Koni's in I had them at full soft, felt like a caddy. All squishy and shit.

I prefer them at 1.5 up front 1.0 out back, from soft. I'm on H-Techs with Hotchkis sways.

Hmm, musta been because there were 4 of us in the car... I just don't want my car to ride like my mom's Type-S. The cornering is great but the penalty is a bone crushing ride on anything other than winter tires.

da biches only complain when i hit a pot hole nawumsayin but i dont complain cuz i peep dat jiggle flow nawumsayin

I did not go to U-Lowell but all of my Calc and Diff Eq teachers at RIT were all a little out there. How do you like U-Lowell? Thinking about going there for my M.Eng. degree.

I love it here. No matter where you go you'll find a lot of ridiculous teachers. I love the diversity of people here and all of the opportunities available to students whether it's educational or recreational.

Archived