LegacyGT.com

Legacy 0, RE 92 1.. another LGT down :/

Boy are you lucky I edited my earlier posts last night...

Your ignorance never dissappoints.

I've already described where the RE92s failed in a dangerous fashion on multiple occasions at low speeds in heavy water and snow/icy conditions.

The only failures are those of inexperienced drivers unwilling to fit winter tires on their cars.

As I posted earlier, where are the class-action lawsuits?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Today I went around my favorite onramp (possibly a little slick with our first rain in a month) a little too fast and felt the rear start to come loose. Luckily, I have experienced the Subie 'happy butt' feeling before so I slowly eased up on the gas and straightened out. The 07s come with Yoko Advans, which I would say are better than RE-92s, so it was definitely all me. I'm sorry it had to end with a tree for your friend. I was glad I wasn't going any faster.

And amazingly, the same types of conclusions are drawn about the Advans as stockers on the Evo. You can go to EvolutionM.net and find countless threads bashing the Advan as the worst tire ever made. I would imagine the thought process (and contributing factors) are the same. That being said, they all think the stock clutches are defective and can't understand why they don't last beyond 30k miles for most owners......I can't imagine why.:lol: The bottom line is these are performance cars, that doesn't mean everyone is a performance driver. Know your limitations and know that these cars are better than you and you will be fine.

Sorry to hear about the accident, glad nobody got hurt and it didn't involve anybody else.

I lean towards the RE92 hater camp, makes abusing them that much more fun from the I perspective.

Along with the tires, the whole AWD and 2005+suspension setup doesn't help things in the corners. Hell, a friend that replaced his 97 Outback with a 2006 Outback complains about how floaty and disconnected the back end feels on corners that the 97 felt fine on. Same exact roads and speeds.

The 2006 Outback is about 2" higher off the ground than the 97 Outback. Of course it's going to feel more disconnected.

while I feel sad for the loss of the legacy, I don't feel sorry for the stupid driving. having been in a car accident with a 7 day old '05 Impreza and wrecking it doing similar to the above, it boggles my mind that people think they're invincible in Subaru's or any other AWD cars for that matter.

I hope this is a lesson to some of the people on the board to slow the F*ck down and just because you can doesn't mean you should. Life lesson learned the hard way.

RE-92s, driver error, whatever. It doesn't change the fact that an accident sucks. Nobody's perfect either. It can happen to anyone. Or, some of us can keep thinking we're better than others. That is, until it happens to one of you.
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

/shrug

I drive on my RE92's in winter and don't have a problem.

Then again, I do auto-x and I do think RE92's aren't the best tire. :)

RE92s are the worst for auto-x, especially if it rained earlier in the morning. It's always embarrassing to have an AWD car and slide around more than all the 2WD cars on wet pavement.

either you are an experienced driver which made your acquired knowledge common reaction, or you really are special, or you have an instinct like no other :lol: nice save though.

this is why video games rule!

It's not about speed, it's about acceleration!

RE-92s, driver error, whatever. It doesn't change the fact that an accident sucks. Nobody's perfect either. It can happen to anyone. Or, some of us can keep thinking we're better than others. That is, until it happens to one of you.

It did happen to me about a year and a half ago ... but I didn't cry about my tires ... I blamed myself for being a dumbass and taking a corner too fast into an unfamiliar driveway and hitting a curb.

It sucked, but never did I fool myself into thinking I was such a great driver that it must have been the fault of the tires.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19959

I have had a few close calls with the RE92's, even when being very gentle with the car. , total loss of control of the back end in 1 inch of snow at a very low speed...

I really hope that everyone here who posts the stupid "RE scapegoat" image gets in a close call. Not a collision, but something to remind them of how shitty the tires are.

The problem with them is that they already don't have much grip, they lose grip with almost no warning, and once they are sliding they are hard to recover from. I'd complain less if the loss of grip was better communicated to the driver and it was easier to recover from... but it isn't.

Funny, I must have a set of RE92's made in a different tire plant.:lol:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Nearly hydroplaning while gently accelerating from a stop on the highway.

Its called oil at a stop area. You don't aquaplane at a standing start.:lol:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

total loss of control of the back end in 1 inch of snow at a very low speed.

Must be an auto with poor accelerator discipline.

You lost control? Whose problem is that?

1. If the tires are shitty, buy better ones.

1 a. If there is snow on the ground or the temperature is below 45F, why aren't you on snow tires?

1 b. All wheel drive doesn't alter the laws of physics.

2. If you know the tires are shitty and you don't replace them, then whatever happens is your fault.

3. If you can't afford better tires, trade your Legacy in on a Yaris with a set of Michelin Pilots and another set of wheels shod with Blizzaks.

4. If you forget or are too lazy to switch tires, see number two above.

5. If you can't take responsibilty for your driving, then find a lawyer to sue Bridgestone and Subaru.

6. If you can't make a case in court, shut up and look up Bob Boundurant or Skip Barber before you kill yourself or inocent bystanders.

Archived