LegacyGT.com

What is wrong with this picture?

http://burnedimage.afraid.org/temp/wheel.jpg

:(

Well, this is what happened. I was at a customer's today inspecting a bunch of parts that were supposedly bad. I found one that was bad. Then I was going to grab lunch on the way back. I wasn't sure where to go, and decided at the last second to try to eat at this little greek place. So I tried to cut over to the driveway and get in. Oops. I missed, and found the curb instead. No good. No body damage though. The subie dealer was only 1-2 miles away, and it magically held air! So I went up there to get a new wheel. No problem, have it fixed by the end of the day. But it wasn't until it was in the service bay I was able to see the camber was off. Uh oh ... hoping it's a bent control arm or something. Nope, bent a bolt on the frame or something. I don't even remember because this is about the point my heart sank. Oh well. It's at the body shop now, they'll get a good look at it in the morning, and hopefully nothing is too seriously bent. I should probably have it back on Thursday.

Isn't that just a pisser. Hasn't been the best week. :-/

Well, I wasn't ever too upset about it. Bummer that I'll probably have to use insurance on this one, but that's why I have insurance in the first place. And all in all, things were placed firmly in perspective about 5 minutes later when I called a friend to see what she was up to. I briefly told her about my issues, then asked what she was doing. I commented that she sounded stressed and she just broke into tears. I knew her husband just died about a month ago (probably to the day) and so she was having a really bad day. :(

You get right down to it and it's just a car, which can be fixed with money, which I will earn more of.

decided at the last second to try to eat at this little greek place. So I tried to cut over to the driveway and get in.
Hey I'm not trying to be your mother, but you should never be in a hurry to go anywhere. Bad things always happen. Look what happened to Earl Hickey. ;)

Edit: For those of you who dont know Earl....

http://www.nbc.com/My_Name_Is_Earl/

Guest *Jedimaster*
What is it with GT owners? I have a buddy with a new LGT and he did the same damn thing- had to buy a new tire and rim at cost form the dealer :lol:

:lol:

Thanks guys.

The dealer was nice to me ... rim was like $300 plus labor fees etc, so remounted the rim was $350, but was originally quoted over 350 for just the rim. Oh, and the tire was salvaged, which is good, because otherwise they would have replaced with 4 new RE92's! I figure I'll be due for new shoes come spring, unless my buddy gets me a good deal on some snow tires for this bad boy, then I might just say screw it and pony up next month.

It will be covered by insurance regardless though. The body shop today identified at least two bent control arms, and they're still unsure if the frame was tweaked at all. Hopefully not, but you know how these things go. IF everything goes smoothly, I could have the car on Friday, but probably won't be until Monday (I'm an optimist, but I also know how things really go).

If I had been in the right lane, I would have been fine. Or if it had been dry out ... I would have been fine. Just an outright error in judgement. No one to blame but myself. Oh well, shit happens and life moves forward.

OW....that's a good chunk of your wheel missing! Hopefully they don't find anything else wrong. Are you getting the alignment checked?

Your rotor is rusty?

Perfectly normal, that would come off with a few min of driving + braking.

:lol:

No, the rotor isn't rusty! That was actually the reflection from the yellow stripe for the parking space.

There is a lot more wrong than just the wheel. I'll probably find out more tomorrow, and hopefully have it back on Monday. Currently there are two control arms on order, possibly more parts (I didn't ask at this point) then they'll get those installed, check the frame (where I hope nothing is damaged) then if nothing wrong with the frame, alignment and done.

Holy smokes... I didn't realize our rims cost that much! :eek:

Sorry about the rim destruction. But, it's only money, right? :p

No kidding. Screw buying aftermarkets, I'm proud to be blingin' on a set of $1400 stock LGT rims. Rappers eat your hearts out.

ADDITION: Brady, looks like you stole enough curb paint to call it a wash.

Considering our wheels are cast aluminum ... I'm not surprised that they break easily. I wouldn't even want to drop a cast wheel wrong, it could pretty easily break. My company sells power transmission equipment, and we sell cast iron pulleys, and we strongly discourage our customers from using UPS because they get broken all the time when we ship those cast parts UPS.

It got worse today. They actually got more done than I expected. They got the control arms set, they checked the frame, tweaked ... 2 hour pull on there. Got it over to the dealership for a 4 wheel alignment .... nope. Can't align it, needs a new steering knuckle. So they will order new parts on monday to have in on Tuesday, then if I'm lucky, I'll have the car on Tuesday night, but more likely to be Wednesday at this point.

T3h sux0r!

I know how you feel and good to hear that you had a good result.

A few years ago I was going thru an intersection on a Saturday night, had a mate in the Scoob when I got all crossed up and hit the bluestone curb, swerved to miss a tree and ended up in the driveway of a service station with a blown tyre the size of yr fist and a totally bent rim. No other damage other than the rim and the tyre thankfully. It was wet and an accident happened about 20 mins before I went thru and spilt oil all over the road. I wasnt going fast but as soon as I hit that oil patch, I was a mere passenger. To be honest, it was all like in slow motion, could see everything happening, just could do a damn thing about it.

You dont have to be flying along to cause damage like that.

The weight of the GT on the loaded side of the rim thats up against a curb, well you do the maths......

Safe driving out there ppl.

Ada///M.

^ What Ada///M said!

I was probably doing around 20 mph, but was cornering hard at that point and braking too all at or just beyond the limit of traction with the wheel turned in. That wheel was loaded. I'll try to draw a diagram and post it up.

Edit: Ok, so there was a vehicle that obscured my view of the actual curb that I hit marked in yellow, I just saw that the driveway was clear of vehicles. I swung in and saw the curb too late. I never actually go to this place. There were no signs on the little island curb either. The red line obviously charts my path.

http://burnedimage.afraid.org/temp/crash.gif

Archived