LegacyGT.com

Legacy 0, RE 92 1.. another LGT down :/

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you know what.

we should have a thread that teaches how to survive in situations like this

let's call it the save your ass in sh i tt y situations thread.

or the driver's ed thread.

there's one real big problem with that.... one of the characteristics of the RE92's is that once traction is broken, you have to completely come to a stop before regaining any. Therefore, once you begin to slide, you don't stop untill you've slide 200 feet, spun around 4 times, or hit something.

RE92's belong on a 2dr FWD Hybrid, not a 250hp AWD car

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

there's one real big problem with that.... one of the characteristics of the RE92's is that once traction is broken, you have to completely come to a stop before regaining any. Therefore, once you begin to slide, you don't stop untill you've slide 200 feet, spun around 4 times, or hit something.

Please post photos of your solo accident. I could use some laughs.

Come on, guys, slow it down!

It's true, the tires are not quite good, but you should expect that when driving ALL SEASON tires in snow. I've been in quite nasty conditions (as in having jeeps nearby stucked in snow) and I survived with my crappy re92 (even so I carry 2 sets of chains and a shovel in the trunk - 'just in case').

So the lesson is - you are more exposed in a AWD car in bad conditions than in a fwd one. My wife did a 360 degree turn with the subaru and had no issue with the fwd mazda in the same conditions (and trust me, mazda's oem tires are even worse than re92). Not because mazda is better, but because she didn't dare to drive mazda with more than 10mph in the same conditions where subaru was going 40mph.

AWD IS BAD IN THE WRONG HANDS!

Not because mazda is better, but because she didn't dare to drive mazda with more than 10mph in the same conditions where subaru was going 40mph.

AWD IS BAD IN THE WRONG HANDS!

I think this is a good point, many ppl driving AWD in bad conditions push the handling envelope a lot more than they would in a FWD and RWD car and then end up in dangerous situations in tires now designed to handle them. Im not saying RE92s are great tires in bad weather conditions, but i learned the limits of those tires really fast under snow and wet and didn't push it beyond that. If i wanted to drive faster and harder under those conditions, i got better tires. But if i crashed in the RE92s i didn't say 'oh the tires made me do it!' but 'oh i drove harder than the tires were designed to handle'.

Ed

Scotty said it. Sounds like a case of lift oversteer.

Back when I was a newb driver, I overcooked it going into a turn in the rain on RE92s. I hit the brakes and the read end swung out. I countersteered and hit the gas. My countersteering/throttle combination was way too aggressive and I ended up throwing the rear end out in the other direction. At this point in time my rear tires were chewing through someone's front lawn, and I was demoralized from the failure of my initial attempts to save the car. I just lifted and mashed the brakes and waited for the car to come to a complete stop. If I had the autocross experience I have now back then, I would've saved it the first time. I ended up almost 180 degrees from my initial direction of travel.

I drove on RE92s in my 2001 Outback for about 25k miles. I drove on them for 12k miles with my LGT. I never had an accident, though I did come close a few times. My Dunlop Grapsic snow tires grip better in the wet and dry than the RE92s. The RE92s are definitely crappy tires, but they're not so unsafe that your car floats off the road when it's parked.

guys, lighten up a bit. sux to see a nice new LGT busted up like that. I'm sure the guy knows how "hot" he was going a realizes he played a key part in the accident.

bottomline: you must understand you car's equipment and operate it within those limits. if your on all-season rubber then don't act like your running sticky summer tires - especially in colder weather.

sorry for your friend's troubles. tell him to get some new shoes and spend some time in a parking lot or something learning their limits and break-away characteristics.

I must say, as a recent Mazdaspeed owner, I've already seen 3 or 4 threads posted up by guys who've curbed it bad. The MS3 comes stock with RE050As. I believe those are the same stock rubber as STIs. Definately a nice stock tire but better in summertime with lots of heat. The guys that are hitting curbs are running them in winter time in parts of the country prone to cold weather, ice & snow. Like I said already - know and understand the setup you're running, especially your shoes.

Exactly how fast were you going to slide 200 ft and spin 4 times ?

Probably too fast for the conditions :icon_wink

Just because the LGT in it's stock format has 250 hp doesn't make it some sort of supercar, hell even Camry's, Maximas and Hyundais have more power these days :lol:

given the situation the OP showed, what would have been the correct way to recover?

I'm assuming bliping the throttle and a lil countersteering with both hands on the wheel for complete control.

And after stating the answer, did the OP's friend do this? If not, then you can not only blame his tires - the driver was also at fault.

Man, how many of these "I was going round a corner....." accident postings have been posted on here?

VDC for the LGT!!!

We must save the Suby AWD amateurs from further accidents! :)

Thats the wrong attitude, i dont think technologic aids should be depended on to avoid accidents. The best drivers aid should be the driver's brain and common sense, then actual practice driving under those conditions.

Ed

I just swapped my summer tires for my re92's due to the snow lately. For a while it seem like I could run my summer tires all the way through the winter. Holy crap!!! abs was kicking on more often the first couple days.

I would say re92's are unsafe, "if" you were already used to a different experience.

actually, common sense teachs you to slam on the brakes. it's proven to be human instinct to do so.. or just for the inexperienced..

hence, the "correct" way to recover is actually counterintutive..

Slamming on the brakes is Panicking. Panicking is throwing Sense out the window. Maintaining your composure would be common sense ... most people just don't exhibit "sense." ;)

Slamming on the brakes is Panicking. Panicking is throwing Sense out the window.

I've been known to spend my free time (and disposable income) doing some pretty dangerous things. There's a saying I heard a while back that I've never forgotten:

If you've got time to panic, then you've got time to do something else.

Remembering that little phrase has saved my bacon more than once.

-

Jim

Sorry to hear about the accident, glad nobody got hurt and it didn't involve anybody else.

I lean towards the RE92 hater camp, makes abusing them that much more fun from the I perspective.

Along with the tires, the whole AWD and 2005+suspension setup doesn't help things in the corners. Hell, a friend that replaced his 97 Outback with a 2006 Outback complains about how floaty and disconnected the back end feels on corners that the 97 felt fine on. Same exact roads and speeds.

Slamming on the brakes is Panicking. Panicking is throwing Sense out the window. Maintaining your composure would be common sense ... most people just don't exhibit "sense." ;)

I guess what I should have stated was the the common "reaction" is to slam on the brakes. The majority does this when they are in these situations. If you're not a trained or experienced driver, then the usual reaction, panicing and slamming on the brakes is only instinct, which is very very very hard not to do.

It's like someone throwing a punch at you and forcing yourself not to flinch - not easy.

To clarify things..

You standing, someone throws a punch at you

you flinch - common reaction, also instinct.

->this will be panicking slamming on the brakes and turning the steering wheel in the wrong direction

you block and throw a counter - trained, or experienced, or the "correct" thing to do

->this will be countersteering and bliping the throttle and not panicking.

hence, the "correct" way to recover is actually counterintutive..

Completely counter intuitive, especially with an AWD car with specs like the LGT. If you read all the crash threads, on tarmac, the back end gets loose then they instinctively hit the brakes, even touching the brakes slightly whips the back the other way, panic sets in, hit brakes again and that whips the car 180 degrees and they are facing the way they came.

An LGT driver is definitely someone who can benefit from an autocross or driver training class in the car.

Maybe I'm just special, but there's a few sections of road around here that get really slick when wet and I can easily get the back end to come around if I take the corner too fast. Anyhow, when the backend does start to come around I just let off the gas and the car seems to 'right' itself right away. I've never even thought of jamming on the brakes when the car starts to break loose.

-

Jim

Maybe I'm just special, but there's a few sections of road around here that get really slick when wet and I can easily get the back end to come around if I take the corner too fast. Anyhow, when the backend does start to come around I just let off the gas and the car seems to 'right' itself right away. I've never even thought of jamming on the brakes when the car starts to break loose.

-

Jim

either you are an experienced driver which made your acquired knowledge common reaction, or you really are special, or you have an instinct like no other :lol: nice save though.

Archived