LegacyGT.com

Concerns about an early 05 LGT?

Hello Again:

Thanks to all of you for your input on the interior color. After looking at the black and taupe side by side the black is not so bad.

Now I am just about to pull the lever but... The car is an 05 originally purchased in sept 04. Should I be concerned for any reason about a car that was very early in the production run? It is an automatic GT Limited wagon with black leather etc.

Thanks,

Jim

i got my 05 gt man trans in late 05. But the car had been on the lot for almost a year. So, i am guessing that mine was a early production model as was yours. Now after some time and 20k miles, No problems. PULL THE TRIGGER!

My car has a Sept 04 build date. Only had four issues in 35,000 miles.

1. drivers floormat holddown came loose on week 2

2. ECU cooling fan relay replaced do to the cooling fans running all the the time, there is a TSB for this, happened around 23,000 miles.

3. replaced both rear window door moldings as they were seperating on both sides. (cosmetic, no wind noise)

and a

Squeaky dash which I fixed myself in 5 minutes.

I have an early 05...

rattles in the dash and sunroof.

worn through driver's side weather stripping

broken trunk floor latch

broken cup holder divider

missing floormat hook.

ECU cooling fan fix was done before I purchased the car.

some slight wear to the interior painted parts, to be expected.

some humming sound under the hood when the ignition is switched on.

sunroof weather seal looks to be sun-faded and lighter gray that the other rubber parts.

several missing plastic rivet/popits.

Little detail things, and nothing to really hamper the experience. Some of the things above will be taken care of under warranty before it expires. ~31k miles right now.

got my 05 on october of 04 the only problem is the tech forgot to take out all the plastic wrapping during pdi. Oh and clutch stinks if you dont drive it right, but i think that pertains to all years. 40k miles now not even a tsb for the fan...

My car was built two weeks before I picked it up in late Sept 04. I'm as happy with it today as I was when I first drove it off the lot.

I did have a turbo failure - they seem to affect 05-06 models at a small but steady pace. My seat heater element died but I'm going to fix it myself to avoid the long drive to my nearest dealer.

Other than that, the car is perfect. More importantly, there is no car on the market in the $30-40k range that I'd rather have instead.

I am not whining.

The guy asked. I even said that none of that stuff affected my opinion of the car. I love this thing. And all that stuff will get fixed at some point.

All in all, that is pretty minor stuff for a 2.5 year old car with 30k. some cars have serious interior wear, and other issues at that point.

Picked up my '05 in Aug '04. 5eat with 17K on the odo:

Bad O2 sensor (at 30 miles!)

Broken foor mat hook

Broken trunk floor hook

Noisey fuel regulator (TSB out for that)

Radio doesn't work with rear defroster on (TSB out for that too I think)

That's it!

Got mine in Nov 05, no major problems till a few weeks ago. Rolled 30k w/o a problem but had it garaged for 3+ weeks in Dec while I was outta town. Now at 31K and had a headlight burn out, and just had my clutch replaced today due to the plate slipping according to the dealer. All under warranty thankfully.

I've been kinda bummed on my GT Wagon lately. It's an automatic, and I bought it 3 months ago. Ever since the second week, I've had the check engine light on and the cruise light flashing at me here and there. Mostly when driving around the city in slow, and stop and go conditions. On the highway at running speeds I haven't had problems. It's been in 3 seperate times now. First they said that it was the neutral safety switch. Then again, they said it was the neutral safety switch. The last time they told me that a linkage in the tranny was out of adjustment. And now, once again, the lights are back on. The car has 38,000 miles on it, and I am about ready to trade it in for an 07. Any ideas?

I have an early 05 that was sitting on a dealership lot for over a year. I was reluctant to buy it, but was assured that the car was perfect. I have 16K miles on it now it is still great, only had a few problems.

1. Cooling fan TSB. I had this taken care of last week, I was without the car for less than 24 hours. I got great service from the dealership.

2. When I first got the car, I would get a bad vibration through the steering wheel when under heavy braking. Turns out the brakes needed to be cut due to being warped. I was told this was from sitting around for a while.

Other than these two problems which have been covered under warranty and 2 cracked windshields, the car has been perfect.

This is my fourth Subaru and has been exactly what I expected it would be.........Excellent.

Pull the trigger, you won't regret it.....well maybe the auto, but not buying an 05. Besides, we have nicer headlights!

Super JDM part out: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65039

PM me an offer!

• 4 weeks later...

Ours has an '04 build date as well, picked it up in January '05. Problems so far

1. rear window trim loose, leaked in car washes

2. passenger door handle coming loose

3. bad fuel injector - poor idle, CEL

4. front driver's side wheel bearing - going in tomorrow for repair.

We have 50k KM on the car now in 2 years of ownership, the wife wants to keep it since she likes the car, but with the warranty expiring at 60k KM, we have two options, pay about $1200 to extend the warranty till 100k, or trade it in on the Mazda CX7.

We have an 8 month old baby, and its really awkward to get the car seat in and out of the LGT. We could use some more space, and the additional toys in the CX7 will be nice, and it'll still be AWD. Not as nice as suby AWD, but hopefully more reliable

Was it younger male driver that owned the car on a lease? If so, DON'T BUY IT (this is somewhat unlikely as legacy GT LTD wagons do not exactly appeal to the 'ricer' demographic). Otherwise, expect the cooling fan to go out (though it sounds like it has already) and a fuel injector to die. No stinky clutch since you said it's an automatic, right? I'd get it, just make sure the dealer gives you a carfax so you know if it was a lease program car.

Archived