LegacyGT.com

Concerns about an early 05 LGT?

My car was built two weeks before I picked it up in late Sept 04. I'm as happy with it today as I was when I first drove it off the lot.

I did have a turbo failure - they seem to affect 05-06 models at a small but steady pace. My seat heater element died but I'm going to fix it myself to avoid the long drive to my nearest dealer.

Other than that, the car is perfect. More importantly, there is no car on the market in the $30-40k range that I'd rather have instead.

Turbo failure? Will the turbo need periodic replacement? What's wrong with it? Granted I'm a subie nubie here, but this is the first I've heard of it.

Please fill me/us in. :)

Turbo failure? Will the turbo need periodic replacement? What's wrong with it?

When it happened to me, it could be considered part of the risk of modding your car. However, it's happened to plenty of bone stock cars as well. Additionally, we know the 07's have a revised turbo which may or may not be partly explained by the failures of 05-06 models.

If you're still under warranty you just wait a couple of days while the dealership replaces your turbo. If you're not, you try to find a used stocker for $3-400 or buy an upgraded model for $1000+. I was under warranty (only 14k miles) but bought a used stocker anyway since I wanted to do more mods while the turbo was off.

My motto is "never put a stock part back on the car if you can help it." After all, it isn't broken -- it's a forced upgrade opportunity.

When it happened to me, it could be considered part of the risk of modding your car. However, it's happened to plenty of bone stock cars as well. Additionally, we know the 07's have a revised turbo which may or may not be partly explained by the failures of 05-06 models.

After my post in this thread, my mind went on vacation for the rest of my workday. So I kept browsing LGT.com and had found another thread mentioning exactly what you'd typed above.

I guess now I'm wondering if the 07 turbo can replace and bolt onto 05/06 models, if the 07 turbos turn out to be more reliable-- or, is that what you mean, John, by saying "buy an upgraded model for $1000+"? Or, are you referring to an aftermarket turbo?

Well, it could be either one actually. Stock turbos go for $1k new, and aftermarket upgrades (rediculously priced, but don't get me started on that) also start at around $1200. Hopefully any new turbo purchased from Subaru is now the "2007" version, with any upgrades/revisions it may contain.

• 3 months later...

I know this thread has been long dead but I continued shopping till last week. Just bought an 05 GT wagon automatic with 12k miles. White/taupe.

You can see the post here, at least for a while.http://beta.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=24&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=ascending&sortfield=DISTANCE+ascending%2CPRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-gt%7CE-ALL%7CM-_45_%7CG-30000%7CH-%7CD-_410_%7CN-N%7CR-10000%7CI-1%7CP-DISTANCE+ascending%2CPRICE+descending%7CQ-ascending%7CS-_7_%7CY-_2007-2006-2005_%7CX-popular%7CZ-84105&aff=national&paId=231804846&recnum=17&leadExists=true&sellerFirst=true

In addition to the issues raised already (fan relay, injectors, turbo, fuel regulator, and radio/defroster) can any of you suggest things I should have my dealer look at when it gets here?

Thanks,

Jim

Archived