LegacyGT.com

Where'd the top of the doors go?

slammie

haha!

No particular reason! They are called 'frameless doors ' and they are just the way Subaru's have been the past few years, although the spy shots of the next gen WRX seemed to indicate that model will have framed doors. Most BMW's also have the frameless doors, I believe. Either system works fine: I happen to think frameless is just plain 'cool'; I like when I've got the windows down and just have to shut the half door. I recall one of the auto magazines complained, though, of come clunking noises when shutting the doors because of them (the top of the glass isn't supported well, especially when the window is just down a couple inches.) To me, that's a non-issue. Sealing around a frameless door *can* be more challenging, but the Subaru engineers seem to have done a good job with the Legacy: I don't recall seeing any water leak complaints or anything like that in the two years I've been lurking here. Not something you really need to factor heavily into your purchasing decision. ..

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

IIRC it also allows the A/B/C pillars to be larger and therefore stronger.

:whore:

Subaru's (because of the frameless windows) have very large A/B/C pillars which creates a much more rigid frame. Better for accident characteristics and survivability. Once you get used to it, other cars with window frames look odd.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

The sales guy yesterday said- it is a benifit as well if you close your door on your hand the glass has give to it and wont really hurt you- I was like'yea yea yea'- Then he closed the door on his hand (glass part) didn't slam the door closed but still enough the the door latched close. He only hada little red mark from the window that went away quickly (it was also 19 degrees out as well)

Although I just don't close my fingers in doors anyways:lol:

Joel

how about..............it looks so much better without frames....damn the legacy is sexy with the windows sitting on top of the door, can't see it any other way.

I agree, I love rolling my window down and having my door open!

looks sexy!:icon_bigg

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

The sales guy yesterday said- it is a benifit as well if you close your door on your hand the glass has give to it and wont really hurt you- I was like'yea yea yea'- Then he closed the door on his hand (glass part) didn't slam the door closed but still enough the the door latched close. He only hada little red mark from the window that went away quickly (it was also 19 degrees out as well)

Although I just don't close my fingers in doors anyways:lol:

Joel

maybe not THE reason its done. but a very good one, and I'm speaking from door slamming experience.. up to my knuckles in the door lol when getting out of the car from the back seat, I have a nasty habit of using the B pillar to pull myself up.

so.. why no window trim? imo.. cos its sportier! and its more conveniant.. if you are at sonic.. you can open your door with the window down and it wil fit right below the menu.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

i love them, and yes subaru took precuations to make sure they dont leak. if you close the window slowly you will hear a click after the window is all the way up and the entire window will move to the right (interior side) this is becuase after the window goes up a white disc pushes the window into the seals. sweet! never saw another car with frameless windows have this feature. impressed me.

but yes they are kind of clunkly when you close them with the windows down.

peace

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

i love them, and yes subaru took precuations to make sure they dont leak. if you close the window slowly you will hear a click after the window is all the way up and the entire window will move to the right (interior side) this is becuase after the window goes up a white disc pushes the window into the seals. sweet! never saw another car with frameless windows have this feature. impressed me.

but yes they are kind of clunkly when you close them with the windows down.

peace

frameless doors are cheaper and lighter.:)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Thanks for the responses everyone...I now feel like I know the fine intracacies of frameless windows! And, if I get the Spec B I'm looking at, I'll try to remember to always have clean hands before driving and also insist that all my passengers have clean hands.

^^ For the Mustang's, Rippin's original comment definitely applies:

Probably to accomodate the convertible model

Frameless is the only way to go if you are looking to offer both a roof and a 'vert.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

:lol: I just pictured that happening!!! :lol: I would do the same thing. :redface:

I just realized that if I'm talking to someone in the car or someone asks me something as I'm getting out I will poke my head in as I'm closing the door. NO FRAMED windows for me... I'd kill myself in days. :lol:

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Archived