LegacyGT.com

So which car would be better? 2.5GT modded or 3.0R stock?

Saki

^ The 3.0 has substantially slower 0-60 and 1/4 times than the 2.5T so a race against a kid from the dealership is anecdotal information at best.

Turbo lag is minimal in the OEM 2.5T and it developes more torque than the 3.0.

For an Outback, however, the 6 would be a good choice, IMHO.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone on this thread who keeps talking about turboing the 3.0 motor, please tell me, are you suggesting a custom fab turbo kit which will cost $$$, trial and error and working out the bugs forever, or does a prefab 3.0 turbo kit exist? Honestly i have never heard of an existing one.

Ed

Everyone on this thread who keeps talking about turboing the 3.0 motor, please tell me, are you suggesting a custom fab turbo kit which will cost $$$, trial and error and working out the bugs forever, or does a prefab 3.0 turbo kit exist? Honestly i have never heard of an existing one.

Ed

Here is the PDX product, im sorry im not sure what the cost is.... im sure its not cheep-o

Its nice to dream though :-)

http://www.subiegal.com/gallerymain/subaruevents/pdxtuningsubaru/subaru-6cylinder-turbo.jpg

More than anything, I want a fast Subaru. Maybe I would want to chip a Legacy and possibly put a bigger turbo on a GT.

Do you think power gains would be similar between a chipped 3.0 and the 2.5T?

No, if you want more power and fast 0-60 times, turbo FTW. No comparison in terms of tuning potential. And you can get the 5MT [in the US].

If over-the-road performance, longevity, operating cost etc are more important, than the H6 is compelling. Which is why I bought one this time.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

3.0R

Pro

More torque in the low rpm range

No such thing as turbo lag

Smooth comfortable power band

Quieter

Can run 87 octane

Better gas mileage

Con

No SI

Thats actually not true, SI drive is also implement in the JDM 3.0R legacy sedans, and might make it here as well, it just adjusts ignition timing and fuel, since theres no turbo or boost parameters to adjust.

Ed

Here is the PDX product, im sorry im not sure what the cost is.... im sure its not cheep-o

Its nice to dream though :-)

http://www.subiegal.com/gallerymain/subaruevents/pdxtuningsubaru/subaru-6cylinder-turbo.jpg

Thats nice, but it definitely looks like an expensive one-off custom fab project and yeah, with enough work, money and time, anyone can turbo any engine, but i think ppl here are looking for a mass manufactured turbo kit for the H6, sorry but since this requires so many internal block modifications, this doesnt count and is nothing more than an interesting performance project.

Ed

There is currently no "chip" (it's not a chip, it is new software loaded onto the ECU) options available for the 3.0r, only the GT/XT. Who knows.. maybe something more will come of it when the 3.0r Legacy is released, but who knows.

EcuTek supports the 3.0R.

It really does depend on the engine, but the max I think capable from tuning the N/A 3.0 is probably in the 30-40 hp range and probably less torque. I know w/ some of GM's engines, you get a lot, but I'm thinking given the somewhat low displacement of the engine, you're not going to get a whole lot, although 30 hp would be pretty nice, it would make it a very good car, just still not very appealing to enthusiasts.

My theory:

Legacy 3.0R Sedan is the new flagship because Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mazda and that sexy new Ford Fusion *gag* all have 6 Cylinders. You cant tell customer A that a 4-cylinder is better, they wont listen, they dont realize, nor do they want a turbo car.

Legacy 2.5GT Sedan will be the performance model like the Mazdaspeed 6. It is produced in smaller numbers for a niche market. Hopefully the 08 will get more aggresive bumpers to differentiate it from the 3.0R. They should offer it in only a Spec B type package. No reason to offer 3 different models of the GT when they also have the 3.0R and 2.5SE. That's way too many models.

My theory:

Legacy 2.5GT Sedan

They should offer it in only a Spec B type package.

Disagree. The $5K premium for the Spec.B would keep many people away; most would rather spend $29K-ish to get the performance without the Spec.B frills.

^ Or you could wait for the right Spec.B deal to come along and have full OEM warranty with Spec.B performance right out of the box. SOA has to advertise the LGT because they are rare as hen's teeth around here. Price doesn't scare away Audi or Volvo customers.

Audi and Volvo are premium European manufacturers (more Audi than Volvo). Subaru will price itself out of the market if they sell only GT Spec B for 35000.

If I had this money BMW 335 Euro delivery here I come.

Invoice $34,360 + $1,000 (ED MSRP $37,760)

Krzys

My theory:

Legacy 3.0R Sedan is the new flagship because Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mazda and that sexy new Ford Fusion *gag* all have 6 Cylinders. You cant tell customer A that a 4-cylinder is better, they wont listen, they dont realize, nor do they want a turbo car.

Legacy 2.5GT Sedan will be the performance model like the Mazdaspeed 6. It is produced in smaller numbers for a niche market. Hopefully the 08 will get more aggresive bumpers to differentiate it from the 3.0R. They should offer it in only a Spec B type package. No reason to offer 3 different models of the GT when they also have the 3.0R and 2.5SE. That's way too many models.

Thats my theory as well that average joe thinks more highly of a 6 then a 4. I also can't help but wonder if Subaru is trying to unload their 6's since the tribeca hasn't sold and not many outbacks sell with 6's. So they may have a large manufacturing capacity for the 6 to meet a demand that never materialized.

My only thought on moving to subaru's 6 for the the suspected legacy top model is.... Subaru is bring a knife to a gun fight. The 3.0H with 245hp is too little to compete with the likes of the Camry, Altima, Infinity, Next Gen Accord, etc. They are all 3.5's in the 270hp range with lots more torque. The 3.0H is wimpy by today's standards.

I wouldn't mind seeing a return of the 25K legacy GT with cloth........ Then having the 3.0H in Limited trim only. One can only hope.

^ However, the engineering feat of getting 245 hp out of a 3.0l is pretty respectable. We'll see how the proposed updating of CAFE standards affects engine displacement in the next few years.

The Ford 3.0L is only good for 220 hp.

What are CAFE standards?

The Ford 3.0L is only good for 220 hp.

What are CAFE standards?

Corporate Average Fuel Economy. Signed into law in 1975 following the Arab oil embargo with the goal of doubling the average fuel economy for passenger cars to 27.5 mpg by 1985. It was successful though SUV and pickups are exempt because at the time the act was passed those vehicles were primarily used as commercial vehicles.

Archived