LegacyGT.com

So which car would be better? 2.5GT modded or 3.0R stock?

Saki

Just had the director of my dpt in my car the other day. I went to pass someone in 2nd gear and he jokingly said "wow, a lot of power for a 4 banger." I said, "It is a 4 banger." His jaw dropped to the floor. They don't see too many Subarus in south Florida...

?

Krzys

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^ SVT 2.5 liter Duratech.

You are correct.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/modelinfo_techspec.jsp?&default_sort=priceDESC&dealer_id=625936&end_year=2007&make2=&address=19380&start_year=1981&fuel=&keywordsrep=&certified=&car_id=214556277&search_type=both&max_mileage=&body_code=0&drive=&min_price=&distance=25&engine=&transmission=&make=FORD&keywordsfyc=&sort_type=priceDESC&num_records=25&ref=srl&ref=srl&car_year=2000&cardist=25&style_flag=1&doors=&advanced=y&max_price=&vehicle_number=892&model=CONTOUR&color=

Who knew that Ford could do it? And why wasnt in the Cougar then? Im guessing Duratech is like Vtech. Increase the hp, but not so much on the torque. 170 ft lbs in this case.

For arguments sake. The 1997 EJ25 = 165 hp. The 1997 Probe 2.5L = 164 hp. My friend has one and it pisses her off when I bring it up. Hehe.

I did but I was not in the market. I had Contour LX with I4. Decent car.

Ford then killed it. In Europe Contour was available as sedan, hatchback and wagon, US of course got sedan only.

Now new CEO asks why they do not sell euro Mondeo in US. Find the suckers who killed Countour then he will know.

Krzys

How did this get hijacked to a Ford 2.5 V6 discussion, haha!!??

I would say the turbo, I just love the feeling when boost kicks in...then again a nice running V6 is crazy fun to...drive both, decide from there...and yes, I agree with the cheaper gas idea...I'm loving boost, but premium hurts to fill up...haha...

Brian-

HP-per-liter is a lame way to compare engines.

I prefer domestic V8s over 4-cylinder turbocharged engines, wish I could pick-and-choose the best from across all auto companies, hehe.

In any case, the 2.5GT will satisfy those who want performance #1 over other characteristics versus the 3.0R.

The comparison arose over engine configuration efficiencies. Different set ups offer different pros and cons.

I'm liking the turbo boxer 4 because it is compact and low which enables a smaller chasis which means less mass and therefore good power to weight ratio in a well set up (Spec.B) AWD sports sedan.

3.0R probably weighs a tad more, but the distribution is further in front of the front axle. worse for understeer and being nose-heavy.

The weight of additional exhaust and the turbo/intercooler themselves is not much, but at least it is over the front axle line, not added on to the front of the engine block.

More than anything, I want a fast Subaru. Maybe I would want to chip a Legacy and possibly put a bigger turbo on a GT.

Do you think power gains would be similar between a chipped 3.0 and the 2.5T?

Tubro kit for the H6 isn't too realistic as it's quite the investment.

Stick with the 2.5GT turbo model and bump it up to stage 2 with Cobb programming and some exhaust swaps. Big power for a lot cheaper than a custom turbo H6.

The 3.0 N/A motor is good for if you like linear, typical 6 cylinder power and more torque, earlier.

My in-laws have a 3.0 Outback and it's a nice engine, very smooth and not peaky, but I am an driving enthusiast as well and wouldn't trade my current turbo 4 for the 3.0.

I would buy a 3.0 for my wife in a second though... as I wouldn't need another turbo car. She's a V6 type-of-driver too. She just wants to step on the gas and get going.

Very well said...

+1

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

More than anything, I want a fast Subaru. Maybe I would want to chip a Legacy and possibly put a bigger turbo on a GT.

Do you think power gains would be similar between a chipped 3.0 and the 2.5T?

You never get similar gains chipping NA and FI engines.

Turbos are much nicer to the wallet. You have all the hardware already in place. "Chip" just tweaks the controls.

Krzys

(Mods, I hope I posted this in the right place)

So, theoretically speaking, if you had the choice between a 2008 2.5GT and the 3.0R and were more of a driving enthusiast, would it make more sense to get the far less expensive 2.5GT and add an aftermarket suspension and maybe a Cobb chip rather than spend almost 10k more on the 3.0R model? I don't follow Subaru too closely but I'm thinking of getting a Legacy soon, and would like some opinions on best buy options... Thanks,

I recently purchased my Outback L.L Bean 3.0r I test drove both the turbo and the 3.0r in the automatics. I know the Legacy vs. Outback are of difference but in same categories the engine are exact platform. There are many reasons I needed the automatic, so the manual may completely change my mind if I were to do it again. This was my feelings:

2.5 turbo

Pro

Lighter/little faster

Lighting fast when turbo is spooled

Tons of mods

Has SI

Con

TURBO lag! a big deal with the A/T

Lower gas mileage

NIOSE

91+ octane only

3.0R

Pro

More torque in the low rpm range

No such thing as turbo lag

Smooth comfortable power band

Quieter

Can run 87 octane

Better gas mileage

Con

No SI

Heavier/little slower in a long drag

Little to no mods

COST MORE $

Quick facts: 3.0r and 2.5 turbo have same HP in US models/ 3.0R looses performance with 87 octane/ I believe Cobb has a Rotex supercharger for the 3.0R for $4,500.00

I had the dealer and I do a little test. Beings he was a younger kid all about racing I asked if we could do some realistic test drives. The first test involved a short hill less then a 1/2 mile long, but very heavy grade. We rolled both the cars side by side and stopped mid-hill. Then raced the two cars, the winner was the 3.0r, most likely because of no turbo lag and faster torque at the initial start. The other test was to simulate passing at speed higher then 60mph. I drove the two cars as similar as I could do, and felt that the 2.5 turbo was a bit faster, (but hell no real way to really know that with just a test drive) In conclusion if you are looking for a comfortable very drivable quiet more luxurious car go with the 3.0R. If you want a racer, noise fast fun car with a little shift shock that reminds you that this car is quick, plus offers lots of mods for a future projects, then the turbo is the way to go.

I’m not sure what 2008 will offer for power plants in the legacy models, but I think you will enjoy these cars regardless of choice in the upper end engines.

You never get similar gains chipping NA and FI engines.

Turbos are much nicer to the wallet. You have all the hardware already in place. "Chip" just tweaks the controls.

Krzys

That's what I was looking for.

The car will have to be an auto for the wife, but I have to drive it and I like fast cars.

I know a 2.5 GT can easily be modded for great power, so I'm kind of shocked at the sticker for a 3.0R with no turbo plumbing to work with like the 2.5.

It has me wondering why would anyone want a 3.0R over a 2.5GT...

The type of ppl who would want a 3.0R are the type of ppl who are into modding or serious performance, they want a car that behaves like any 6 cylinder mid size japanese sedan (aka Accord or Camry). Obviously none of us are this type of person and those type of ppl do not come onto enthusiast boards like this.

Ed

Archived