LegacyGT.com

RE-92 Legitimate Complaint thread

Brady

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Recently I've come to hate my RE-92's @ 22K only because they're so frickin' loud. Back when the car was new, 10 seemed plenty loud on the stereo, but now on the highway I literally have to go to like 18-20 to actually really hear whatever I'm listening to. Does anyone else have really noisy RE's?

yes

• 4 months later...
After reading this thread (which I'm half kicking myself in the a$$ for) I think I just decided that I'd ball up and drop $400 on a set of Blizzak's. For me in new england, I feel it's easier than a $500 deductible later! If anyone wants to buy my Potenza's when I take em' off, I'll hook you up! ;)

The RE92's are the first tire I have ever had to hydroplane while travleing up hill. Ithe tires had less than 20k at the time, it was raining hard, but I was under the posted 55mph limit, due to the weather.

they came back in after short order, but was noteable. I have since been more carefull in wet conditions. I the dry, they seem OK, but am looking to upgrade soon.

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

All in all, I didn't mind my RE92's. Granted, I tend to drive fairly conservatively, and my prior vehicle was a 2wd pickup with horrendous traction. However, I was pleasantly surprised (after having read so many criticisms of the RE92) that I no longer worried about my tires being unsafe.

Not exactly the strongest endorsement ever, but they served me well enough. Then again, I would definitely not replace them with the same. For the price, many better tires exist.

<-------- riding on RE92's. Overall, I would say they are a fine dry weather tire. Decent grip, but doesn't compare well against a summer tire.

In the rain, also fine. I drove 4 yrs/40k miles on RE92's on my old MY00 RS and currently ~5k for my LGT. No hydroplaning. Not so great in the snow. . .but honestly, who expects an A/S to be good in the snow. Get some M3's for that.

As for me, I will beat the piss out of my RE92's, on the street, and on the |

<--------------------------------------------------------------------------|. But when it comes times for replacements, I will get a set of nice summer rubber.

The RE92's on your 2000 are different than the ones on your LGT... the RE-92's on the current leggies and outbacks are RE-92A's

put about 20,000 on them and then drive through a puddle....your car may explode

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

The RE92's on your 2000 are different than the ones on your LGT... the RE-92's on the current leggies and outbacks are RE-92A's

put about 20,000 on them and then drive through a puddle....your car may explode

Both cars were on RE92's. AFAIK, Subaru never shod its Legacy's or Impreza's with RE-92A's.

I did a quick check at tirerack.com to see what the differences were. Here is a link: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE92A

Notice the difference in tread pattern for the shoulder blocks.

I just replaced my RE-92's about 4,000 miles ago. A back rear one blew out on me at approx 37,000. Wasn't worth it to pay the price to replace, especially with all the miles. The tires in defense are adequate tires but by no means a good choice in the All-Season category. They do nothing exceptionally well. I have Fuzion HR-I's on my car now and there is a big difference. The RE-92's were better for quietness and ride. The Fuzion's give better road feel, have nicer grip and definitely outperform the RE-92's in wet weather. This is a tire I bought locally for $81- mounted and balanced for each tire. Yes, there are better tires but couldn't beat the price/performance ratio. RE-92's are without a doubt the worst or one of the worst replacement values for price/performance.

I have noticed that a friend has a Toyota Celica and she has the orginal RE-92's on that. Another buddy has a Infinit qx-35 and he has RE-92's also. The RE-92's are not just a Subaru thing and besides I noticed the new Legacy's 08, have Yokohama's. Maybe Subaru listened??

• 3 months later...
They certainly don't give you much warning that they have reached their threshold
You mean none? I remember the day I put on the re92's on to get replaced with WR's after taking the F1's off. Took the first turn out of my street lazily and almost spun out, not a sound. I almost died laughing.

I really have no complaints about the 92's, with the exception of snow, but I did not expect them to do well. I got the car last december, so I figured I would give them a shot, this being my first AWD car and all. They got me moving in the snow, but it was the turning and stopping that was the issue. Never hydroplaned in the rain, so no issues there. I was planning on going with a set of 16 inch winter wheels/tires, but that idea quickly got stomped out with a little research here. So I am awaiting a set of nokian WR's, I am hoping they will prove to be an all around good setup for year round driving. I used to have blizzaks on my Acura Cl and loved to go ripping around in the snow with them, felt like the car had cleats on. I am hoping the AWD plus the better tires will give the same feeling.

"Every time you masturbate, God kills a kitten."

Since 34.5% of cats don't live to see their first birthday, we can assume that about 4,763,225 kittens die each year in the United States alone. We'll take for granted that God in His divine Wisdom purposely smote each of these kittens.

Each man in the United States masturbates approximately every 1.5 days. It also means that there are approximately 25,727,845,440 male masturbation sessions in the United States each year.

Indeed, with a life expectancy of less than 75 years, the average man will be responsible for only two or three kitten deaths in a lifetime of vigorous masturbation.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Replaced my RE-92's at approx 38,000 miles and I now have Fuzion HR-I and it's totally different. The ride was a little nicer on the RE-92's and somewhat quieter (early on) but when it comes to handling, especially in the rain, the Fuzion's blow the RE-92's away not to mention I got mine for $85 a tire M/B. RE-92's are over priced if you plan to replace and they truly do suck in wet weather compard to these babies.

Archived