LegacyGT.com

RE-92 Legitimate Complaint thread

Brady

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How much are RE 92 worth slightly used say about 3k miles on them? I want to get rid of mine already, and I had my 08' for less than 1 month.

That's pretty subjective. Tirerack has the RE-92's at $169 a piece. that's twice what I paid for mine and mine came with mounting and balancing. It would be insane to pay this price for these tires especially since they came in 19th out of 19 All-Season HP tires. My Fuzions were 8th and technically 6th since two type tires were essentially the same (H vs V). Feel lucky if you can get $50 a tire.

<~~ didn't even know you could do that... how much would it cost? Would they even be comparable to a decent set of snows?

It's $11/ tire here in IL @ discount tire. the guy says it takes about 45min to do all 4 wheels. He said it would help my RE92 alot, so Im thinking about doing it. I also just bought 2 sets of Goodyear TripleTreds for the 2 other cars at my house, and he recomended not to do those. So I dont think the guy is just out there to get my money, cuz if he did he would of probably recomended me to get all 3 sets of tires siped.

Tread pattern is not that important in the winter; the rubber compound, and how compliant it is at low temperatures, is very important.

Feel your tire tread after getting off a highway run in the summer - they are warm to the touch; sometimes very warm. In a snow storm, your tires will remain at or near freezing even after a highway run.

You can't have a single compound perform well in both conditions; but even among all season tires, the RE 92 is particularly poor in colder temps; even 40 F in the rain this tire is like a rock.

People who disagree simply have never run an actually good tire before.

I'll be flamed, but it is simple truth. If you drive slowly enough, you wont need a good tire, absolutely true. And you can survive very well without a good tire, absolutely true.

BUT that doesnt mean the RE 92 is not a shyt tire - the RE 92 IS a shyt tire. If its not dry and relatively warm out there; DO NOT push your cars limits if you run the RE 92, or you will eventually regret it.

^well said.

and the hris are pretty good for the cost (had em); they are better than the re92 in the wet (which are utterly useless after the first cloud appears), but they wear quickly, and pushing 'em in the rain is asking for some tail happiness. i miss my wr's :( sacrifice some performance, but like damned velcro in the weather...

I've said it before and I'll say it again: It's really worth spending a few extra bucks for excellent rubber, summer and winter.

If you're spending $100 per for a 225/45/17 tire, buying it from tirerack, then mounting and balancing the tire, that's about $20 per for shipping and another $30 per for mounting - $20 if you're cheap about it (not rrecommended, again). So, that's about $150 per tire. Spend another $30 bucks on tire, and shipping and mounting costs dont change. So it's not 30 % more expensive, it's 20 % more expensive. That more expensive tire, unless you're braindead and can't find a way or ask to pick a really better tire, is going to be much better for every mile you own your car. Also, I've had bad experiences with kumho's going bad - one set I had rebalanced twice after only 17 k mi - they had half their tread left but I threw them away - how much cash did that save??

Summer and winter - get em. If you call yourself an enthusiast, forgo the bling and even the swaybar upgrades until you set yourself up with decent summer and winter rubber. If you're in the south, then okay, good A/S rubber is going to work. Get a set of stock rims here, for, what are they running these days, $30 per rim???

Just do it. Buy some great rubber, and enjoy.

You WILL eventually agree.

:)

^ Where do you get stock 17" rims for $30? If that was the case I would have definitely picked up a set and put some snows on them. I just got myself a set of nokian WR's. Haven't had them mounted yet, but by the looks of them they should do the job in the snow, and hopefully the rubber isn't too soft in the summer.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: It's really worth spending a few extra bucks for excellent rubber, summer and winter.

Just do it. Buy some great rubber, and enjoy.

You WILL eventually agree.

:)

+1... especially in Mass. I plan on spending about $150/piece on 17" winter rubber, and probably a tad more on 18" summer's when I get the new rims. RE-92... maybe a tire swing for the nephew?

Old addage is: you get what you pay for... nuff said

I disagree on you get what you paid for. Tirereck has many decent tires that are reasonably priced. The Potenza Re-92's are listed as $169 each. They rank 19 out of 19 in High Performance All-Season tires. #1 rated tire in this catagory is the Michelin Exalto A/S at $165 (225/45/17). The Bridgestone G009 finished #2 and they sell for $134. $35 cheaper per tire, I could go on and on. The Potenza's are over priced and I don't understand why so many manufacturers use them? (.NIssan, Infinit, Toyota, Subaru, etc..)

Ok... fair enough.

You dont always get what you pay for... especially if the car companies try to deceive you by making you think you need the same tire as the car came with. ;)

True there will be those exceptions, but alot of cases it is true. The Potenza Poles (i think, #1 on tirerack) are more expensive than the (#4 i think) Pirelli PZero's because they rate a bit higher in everything. So a point to be made both ways.

But a dedicated winter set and summer set is definitely a good idea in any case.

I am guessing I will post a "complaint" this winter about our RE92's down to 5/32" at 37k miles. This is even all around too even though not rotated in about 14k miles. They still ride smoothly and quiet as ever and seem fine in the rain although I never push the car since I have 22mo old and 1 mo old in tow.

Ok... fair enough.

You dont always get what you pay for... especially if the car companies try to deceive you by making you think you need the same tire as the car came with. ;)

True there will be those exceptions, but alot of cases it is true. The Potenza Poles (i think, #1 on tirerack) are more expensive than the (#4 i think) Pirelli PZero's because they rate a bit higher in everything. So a point to be made both ways.

But a dedicated winter set and summer set is definitely a good idea in any case.

Well in your case (Boston Area) I agree that 2 sets of tires are better. I used to live in Bedford, NH and commute to Waltham, Ma for work and wintertime can be brutal. Here in Central Va all you need is a good set of All-Season tires or like me, use my 97 SUS Outback Sedan during the bad days. I run All-Season Yokahoma Avids on these.

+1... especially in Mass. I plan on spending about $150/piece on 17" winter rubber, and probably a tad more on 18" summer's when I get the new rims. RE-92... maybe a tire swing for the nephew?

Old addage is: you get what you pay for... nuff said

May I humbly suggest the Conti TS810 (the H-rated version, not the V-rated S version)? I have this on my RX-8 and it is great. Have the LM-25 on my LGT, and its just not quite as good on icy roads. The 810 is nice in every way, but it is a winter, not a snow, so snow and ice performance is just a notch below the blizzak revo/X-ice.

G/L

If you need a great tire guy, PM me - I love to recommend this guy. :)

Archived